Post-Game Talk: Detroit 5, Toronto 2. EVERYONE CALM THE **** DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
Jake Gardiner has a terrible habit of getting caught behind the opponent's net when they have an odd man rush. His skating is great, but he can't rely on that to get him back into position.

The guy has the physical skills and attributes, but his mental game is much too focused on creating plays and helping offensively that he completely ignores the defensive part of being, well, a defenseman.

If throwing him back to the AHL last season, playing him during the playoffs when he played his position well, and a full pre-season is not enough to drill that into his brain, then his time as an NHL defenseman is quickly coming to an end.

He will end up becoming a smooth-skating, but largely ineffective left winger if he can't get it.

That has to be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. Jake is such a good hockey player that im actually mad we are holding him back on this crappy team who ruins all their prospects. You actually think his time in the NHL is coming to an end?? Oh boy, you probably think Dion is sick also dont you. He's easily the best skater on the team, makes the nicest passes on the team, always tape to tape makes some crazy plays that most defencemen would never try and 9/10 he will get back in time if he was pintching. But ya you're right this 22 year old might be done in the NHL soon...

leafstilldeath*

Wins Cup - "he was lucky"
Doesn't win Cup - "he's a terrible coach!"

Am not saying he is a terrible coach. But you have gotta admit that Ducks roster was loaded when he won the cup. I mean look at it.

2006-07 Anaheim Ducks

Goaltenders
Canada 29 – Sebastien Caron
Russia 30 – Ilya Bryzgalov
Canada 31 – Michael Wall
Canada 35 – Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Defensemen
Canada 5 – Ric Jackman
United States 18 – Ian Moran
Canada 21 – Sean O'Donnell
Canada 23 – Francois Beauchemin
Canada 25 – Chris Pronger
Canada 27 – Scott Niedermayer - C
Canada 33 – Joe DiPenta
Canada 34 – Aaron Rome
Canada 37 – Shane O'Brien
Canada 40 – Kent Huskins

Wingers
Finland 8 – Teemu Selanne
Canada 10 – Corey Perry
Canada 14 – Chris Kunitz
United States 16 – George Parros
Canada 17 – Dustin Penner
United States 18 – Drew Miller
Canada 24 – Brad May
Russia 24 – Stanislav Chistov
Canada 29 – Todd Fedoruk
Canada 32 – Travis Moen
United States 38 – Ryan Shannon
Sweden 43 – Bjorn Melin
Canada 45 – Shawn Thornton
Canada 46 – Curtis Glencross
United States 46 – Joe Motzko

Centers
Canada 13 – Mark Hartigan
Canada 15 – Ryan Getzlaf
Canada 19 – Andy McDonald
United States 22 – Todd Marchant
Sweden 26 – Samuel Pahlsson
Canada 39 – Travis Green
Canada 44 – Rob Niedermayer
Canada 47 – Tim Brent
United States 52 – Ryan Carter

GM: United States Brian Burke
Coach: Canada Randy Carlyle

And the road to the SCF

Easy series only once they went to 6 games, no 7 games.

2007 Postseason
Western Conference Quarter-Finals (4–1)
Western Conference Semi-Finals (4–1)
Western Conference Finals (4–2)
Stanley Cup Finals (4–1)

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
His system inflated goalie totals. Yes Reimer played well but you can't ignore the fact that Scrivens had a great season as well. The system was designed for goalies to look good.

Who brought that system again?

Considering Reimer had an identical SV% to his rookie year playing in Wilson's system, I highly doubt the system was the main thing that made him look good.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Well duh, well built teams win championships. Obviously a scrub team of fringe NHLers isn't going to win a Cup. Not to mention Getzlaf and Perry hadn't even fully hit their stride yet and weren't depended on as much that year.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think people that thought the Wings were on the downswing might have a new opinion after tonight.

Their skillset and their system look transferable to be successful in the East.

Teams that take penalties against the wings will record results in the loss column.

For a season or two longer maybe. Then they're heading to the basement.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Am not saying he is a terrible coach. But you have gotta admit that Ducks roster was loaded when he won the cup. I mean look at it.

You could make similar claims for the majority of the teams who recently won the cup. It applies a little less to the Ducks, as Getzlaf and Perry weren't really impact players at the time.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
This is such as B.S comment. You do know that we were top 10 in defenseman scoring as a team, top 6 in GA and top 2 in P.K. Don't act like the team as whole didn't contribute at all and Reimer basically carried this team. We had so many improvents from players such as Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Franson and Phaneuf. So what if we were a bad possession team. That didn't stop us from making the playoffs. Fenwick stats can go **** themselves.

You were about 12 spots off. Where'd you look that up cause NHL.com has us at 18.

BayStreetBullies*

Wins Cup - "he was lucky"
Doesn't win Cup - "he's a terrible coach!"

cupcar.jpg

maroney_rect1.jpg

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Reimer played as well as he did in his rookie season if not better. How can you say he dominated in his first season but not last season? Reimer was simply outstanding for the Leafs, and was the biggest reason they made the playoffs. He pretty much carried this team to the playoffs whether you want to believe it or not. They played more in their own end of the rink as opposed to the oppositions end of the ice. It's not hard to see how Reimer was the main reason they even qualified for the playoffs last season.

Bro, did you read anything I said? Reimer didn't carried our team to the playoff. I showed you how the leafs provided a lot of offensive stats, so Reimer wasn't hung out to dry on daily bases. I even gave you an example of the only time I ever saw Reimer carry the team on a REGULAR daily bases was his first rookie year. Literally, the team was going to be bottom 3 if it wasn't for his performance. He also save Wilson's job. I know he posted great numbers this year, but he was expected to do it. His job was to simply stop the puck and he did it efficiently. Like I said, you have to be Lundqvist/Quick type of goalie to carry a team and Reimer hasn't shown us that he can do it for a full season.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Leafs lose, same old names pop up in the post game thread bashing everything from a single player, to the coach to the entire organisation :laugh:

We'll return to winning ways for a while and they're nowhere to be seen :shakehead

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
First I misunderstood the hockey IQ thingy so kindly accept my apologies.

Second, patience is one thing by holding a puck a bit longer or passing a bit late but players have to keep moving their feet to get open. Even without the puck Phaneuf is mostly standing still.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. A professional athlete that gets paid millions of dollars cannot "fix" mistakes then who can? We the fans, the coaching staff and the team expects professional athletes to fix mistakes.

For example, Reimer's high glove. We cannot expect him to not fix those instincts he has developed as a golie over the years. He has to fix it.

But as you mentioned, we have to agree to disagree.

That's cool. Misunderstandings happen. Forgot to mention it in my last post but I should also apologize to you for misunderstanding your point about Reimer, Kessel and Kadri. I interpreted your comment as you underselling their potential in being those kind of players on a regular basis. Obviously that's not what you meant so sorry about that.

I'm not saying that they aren't fixable issues, I'm saying that I don't think they're easy to fix. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and in the hockey world, Phaneuf is an old dog. I'm not saying that players shouldn't work on all areas that need improvement, I just think the expectation of improvement varies based on how difficult the task is. For me, I find it more baffling that Phaneuf constantly winds up his shot only to shoot it high and wide than him not moving his feet when he's manning the point. It only takes a stick and a net to practice accuracy shooting. That's something a player can improve on in the off season in their garage. Improving on multi-tasking different activities on the ice that require control of the puck along with movement and consciousness of where every player is on the ice...that will likely take real scenarios where the coach says 'I want you to do this...and only do this' and have all of your teammates engaged in the activity. Between the two bad tendencies, I think the the latter is more difficult to fix than the former so my expectation is much higher for the task I think is more reasonable to fix.

I was trying to explain that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts because I got caught up with singling out your point based on the examples you chose to use. Do I think players should work to improve on their weaknesses? Yes. Do I think that Phaneuf and Bozak are the ideal #1s on this team? No, I don't. When I say that 'it is what it is', I mean that from my perspective, the things that would make Phaneuf and Bozak obvious #1s are things I don't feel are easily fixable and so I think it's best to find ways to compensate for it. Yeah, I know it's cynical of me but unless we can upgrade in the personnel, I'll settle for making sure that the individual weaknesses of any player isn't an hindrance to the team's overall ability to win games.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think people that thought the Wings were on the downswing might have a new opinion after tonight.

Their skillset and their system look transferable to be successful in the East.

Teams that take penalties against the wings will record results in the loss column.

They will still struggle to make the playoffs.....not saying they will miss but they are no lock.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I realize that tonight was a pre-season game and there is no reason to be upset, however I hated how the refs basically decided the outcome with that van Riemsdyk penalty in the 2nd period. He had a right to be upset since he was cross checked into the boards and they don't call a penalty on Detroit, then seconds later he gets an unsportsmen like conduct penatly.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think some1 should hire phils sister to teach bozak how to shoot a damn puck

oscarknows

Jul 19, 2009
hey carlyle take a page from detroit and on a powerplay play offensive guys,what the hell is bozak doing on a pp instead of kadri!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad