Post-Game Talk: Detroit 5, Toronto 2. EVERYONE CALM THE **** DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Your words were that we shouldn't question Carlyle because he won a cup. You also said "But Carlyle has a winning system, which you can't question." It's right there in your quote.

There are times when he should be questioned. He questions his own decisions, so why shouldn't we?

If Carlyle says he wants more consistency with Gardiner I wouldn't have an issue, it's the comment about "running out of time." If it's to get back to playoff form, then basically everyone on the roster is running out of time to get there, since very few (if any) are at that level, so why mention it? If it's to make the team, then god help us.

Could also be a questionable quote from Mirtle meant to stir the pot.

I said you can't question that he has a winning system, seeing how he has a near 60% win record.

Did you read the full quote? He's running out of time in the pre season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
:facepalm:

PP missing the most lethal weapon has nothing to do with how bad Dion is at puck management on PP. Your analogy is do dumb. Its like failing to make a light bulb 100 times and still using the same methodology.

They beastly performances led to the playoffs. Most importantly, James Reimer. Second, in your dictionary if you have bestly=playing well above their abilities then gtfo not my problem

You complained about Phaneuf and Bozak on the PP. The Leafs have ranked in the top half of the league in terms of PP for the past few years now. You don't think missing your best offensive weapon on the PP (a weapon that cannot be replaced) has any effect on the way the unit as a whole works? Do you realize how often Kessel makes himself open to receive passes from Phaneuf? Do you realize how often Kessel is able to hold on to the puck and pass it back to the point to Phaneuf when he doesn't have a shooting lane? Individual tendencies don't matter a lick if it doesn't hinder the overall ability of the unit. Do you ***** about Phaneuf and Bozak on every PP even when they manage to score a goal, get an assist or are on the ice when their unit scores a goal?

You're complaining about hockey IQ. If it were so easy to 'fix', why the hell isn't common for mediocre players to become like Crosbys and Ovechkins in this league? We're not talking about rookie mistakes. We're talking about the personnel itself. You can't reprogram players to think the game so differently...especially when they've already been doing what they do for 8 seasons already. Bad tendencies can be compensated by a strong team system (or having individual players that can pick up the slack). It is what it is. If you're gonna whine, go for wanting to get rid of Phaneuf. It seems a lot more possible than expecting a guy to jump 20 points in his hockey IQ.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Carlyle's winning system was "get me one of the best rosters in the history of the League and one of the greatest defense pairings ever" and I'll get you a Cup.
I agree there was a lot of structure to our game which wasn't there before, he's an Xs and Os guy for sure. He'd make a great assistant coach, where we wouldn't have to endure his bonehead personnel decisions.

It's true, this man speaks the truth.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Well seems like the original quote was rather misleading, it's more a matter of not much time left for fine tuning before the season start. That should hopefully calm all this down.

Either way, I very much doubt that Carlyle mentions Gardiner specifically because he dislikes him. It's much more likely other reasons behind it. There might be something in Gardiners approach to the game that tells Carlyle he might need a bit of a callout, while something similar with someone like Phaneuf would create even more drama but would not be as necessary for one reason or the other.

Don't think Mirtle was trying to mislead, but his choice of words did end up doing just that.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
Pre-season

aka before the season.

that said if gardiner can be traded for something nice up front. im all for it. this rielly kid is good. really good.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We lose a pre-season game and all of a sudden Carlyle is barely an assistant coach :laugh:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 12m
Carlyle on if Gardiner is back to where he was in playoffs: 'No, no he's not'

Carlyle on if Gardiner needs to evolve: 'Well, we haven't go too many more days (left in camp)'

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 18m
Gardiner: 'Feeling pretty good. I think I've been limiting my turnovers & still try & play offensive & join the play as much as I can.'

Sadly most people will ignore this and continue freaking out on Carlyle. If Leafs fans can annoy each other this badly, it's no wonder other fanbases can't stand us as a whole. I think every time the team has a poor game, I'll have to add a plethora of people to my ignore lists just to escape the stupid. I'm already working on getting rid of posters that post that stupid #teamreimer #teambernier crap :laugh:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
We lose a pre-season game and all of a sudden Carlyle is barely an assistant coach :laugh:

Seriously. What the hell are you guys talking about. Who was the last coach to get us into the PO post lockout?

Get back to me.

Sorry everyone here is too madly inlove with Gardiner to see his flaws. God forbid the coach actually point out he doesn't think his player is as amazing as the fans think he is.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Again, like I said before, Reimer did not carry the team. We had a top 2 P.K, we were top ten in defenseman scoring,top 6 in GF and your're saying Reimer carried the team? Ridiculous...

Reimer was top 5 (or 6) in PK save %. Under that same system, the other goalie was in lower half of the league.

We were 4th worst in shots against, yet we were league average in goals against. Another proof it was Reimer.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Leafs were a poor possession team (Yes possession matters!) last season. You can't keep winning like that, it's just not sustainable. Sorry, but Reimer was easily the biggest reason this team snapped it's 9 year playoff drought. At least acknowledge that without James Reimer's performance last season, there is no way this team qualifies for the playoffs.

Yeah, the Leafs had a ridiculously low Fenwick number with Reimer in net, and they still ended up posting a 100+ point pace with James.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I think this guy missed most of last season where this happened regularly and Reimer still managed to win.

It wasn't all Reimer, our shooting percentage was exceptionally high last year which compensated for the amount of shots on net. We need to be a lot better in our own end.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:biglaugh:
this board sometimes

i think we're going to turn heads in the positive this year

like I said - the Wings powerplay is deadly but I think we have to admit we weren't super aggressive either today on our PK.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He's better than Ron Wilson, he has problems with certain players and it's well documented. He did win a cup with a stacked team he fell into.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Reimer was top 5 (or 6) in PK save %. Under that same system, the other goalie was in lower half of the league.

We were 4th worst in shots against, yet we were league average in goals against. Another proof it was Reimer.

His save % coincides with the quality of shots on net which reflects on the quality of the entire PK, quit giving Reimer all the credit, he was good I am not disputing that but he wasn't a god.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I said you can't question that he has a winning system, seeing how he has a near 60% win record.
You're moving off your mark. You started with we can't question him because he's a cup winner then moved you can't question the success of his system. Sure you can, he does it himself. You can't argue it hasn't been a winning system, you can argue how successful it's been.
Did you read the full quote? He's running out of time in the pre season.
Which then goes back to exactly what I said. Everyone is running out of time, why make that about Gardiner? Specific question? Motivation?

But this is just semantics now. My point was simple. Gardiner's played well this preseason and should be on this roster. I hope Carlyle's comments aren't a threat or an indication that Gardiner's spot in our top 6 is in doubt. He isn't playing as well as he did in the playoffs, but I don't know why anyone would expect him to.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Just watched the game in 6 and thought Bernier couldn't really be at fault for most of those goals. Think the PK and defence left him out there in some of those situations.

See how well they respond next game against them.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sadly most people will ignore this and continue freaking out on Carlyle. If Leafs fans can annoy each other this badly, it's no wonder other fanbases can't stand us as a whole. I think every time the team has a poor game, I'll have to add a plethora of people to my ignore lists just to escape the stupid. I'm already working on getting rid of posters that post that stupid #teamreimer #teambernier crap :laugh:

I agree....#team Leafs and nothing more.

Carlyle is right on the money....and people seem to think that he is picking on Gardinar....

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Leafs were a poor possession team (Yes possession matters!) last season. You can't keep winning like that, it's just not sustainable. Sorry, but Reimer was easily the biggest reason this team snapped it's 9 year playoff drought. At least acknowledge that without James Reimer's performance last season, there is no way this team qualifies for the playoffs.

So what? Don't say "what if this happen" because it didn't and Leafs made it to the playoffs regardless. Your're saying how Reimer carried the team last season, which I disagree. We had a lot of offensive support from Phaneuf, Kadri, Kessel and Franson all season long, so I don't know why your're saying the the leafs hung out Reimer to dry? We had a top 3 P.K, top 6 GF and ppg winger, so Reimer cannot possibly carry this team. The only way Reimer ever carried the team was in his first season when the team was in huge slump and was risk giving a top 3 pick to Boston. Ever since that I don't think Reimer ever dominated completely on a daily bases. Although, I do admit he contributed to the team's success.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The title was a poke at the #TeamReimer guys.... I changed it for something that is clearly, more suitable.

Penalty Kill Icing*

His save % coincides with the quality of shots on net which reflects on the quality of the entire PK, quit giving Reimer all the credit, he was good I am not disputing that but he wasn't a god.

No need to read between the lines. All I was pointing at (earlier) was that Reimer has played at 100 point pace under Carlyle and Wilson. So, I am willing to credit Reimer than Carlyle on us making the playoffs last season.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
We never would have sniffed Game 7 if it wasn't for Reimer's dominance in Games 5 & 6. He absolutely carried this team. That toe save on Bergeron will live forever.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Being the 4th worst in shots against and 17th GA isn't exactly what I would call a stellar on Reimer's part.

Also, Steve Mason had a higher PK save % so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad