Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not really surprising for Yzerman to still give Kane this shot.

"Yzerman is the first hockey player to attempt to return from such a surgery. Yzerman, who had undergone previous knee ligament surgeries, suffered from the wearing away of the surface on his knee joint and the loss of cartilage, which acts as padding. It was as if the tread on a tire went bald and began to tilt to one side, making even walking a painstaking event.

Fowler cut a wedge of bone out of Yzerman's knee and realigned it to redistribute stress evenly, a temporary solution that is likely a precursor to knee-replacement surgery. Yzerman knew there were no guarantees, but never considered retirement.

"It never really occurred to me," Yzerman said. "Had I decided to [retire] after last year, a year from now or this summer, after going through rehab I would start feeling good, the leg would feel better and I would be like, 'I want to try it again.'

"I'm just not ready to retire. Whether it's due to my knee condition or one day I just lose the desire to play, I'll know that then, but I don't have that now. I definitely haven't lost any desire to play. Until I get out there and know that I can't play anymore, then I'll stop."

Very old story had to find an old archive, but I remember this from around the time. They kept alleging that Yzerman was the first to really attempt a comeback from the procedure, Stamkos would later have the same thing done. I think you're far more likely to surmount the massive odds by being a star player, they have more runway to adjust their games. Kane is by far the most talented of the guys we have listed to go through this. While certainly there were other front line players, I understand taking this chance and I think to Yzerman it is finding the first doctor to do this correctly and first player to overcome it. He draws on that from a pretty personal place and is likely why he wouldn't care about the pages listing Backstrom, Kesler and Jovo over and over.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Vegas proved you don't really need top end forward talent to win, granted DeBrincat & Larkin is definitely a step below Stone & Eichel.
They also have elite depth and their goaltending and defense are top 3 in the league, Detroit is a long ways away from being Vegas IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not really surprising for Yzerman to still give Kane this shot.

Very old story had to find an old archive, but I remember this from around the time. They kept alleging that Yzerman was the first to really attempt a comeback from the procedure, Stamkos would later have the same thing done. I think you're far more likely to surmount the massive odds by being a star player, they have more runway to adjust their games. Kane is by far the most talented of the guys we have listed to go through this. While certainly there were other front line players, I understand taking this chance and I think to Yzerman it is finding the first doctor to do this correctly and first player to overcome it. He draws on that from a pretty personal place and is likely why he wouldn't care about the pages listing Backstrom, Kesler and Jovo over and over.
I don't think anyone is faulting Yzerman for signing Kane to what is essentially a zero-risk contract, given that it's only for this season and the Wings have plenty of cap space to play with.

I do think people are signalling to Wings fans to rein in their expectations. You say Kane is the most talented of the guys to go thru this procedure. I say he's also the most dependent on his skating ability to go thru this procedure, and we've seen the past examples how this surgery negatively impacts skating ability. Even a cerebral player like Backstrom, who's game was never built around blowing away guys with speed or shiftiness like Kane's is, couldn't overcome the issues that plagued him as a result of this surgery.

Reactions: banks

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Detroit needs to sign Artem Anisimov to get the band back together.

Anisimov tried out with Detroit and Grand Rapids but failed to convert his PTO to a standard contract in either league.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
“They dislocate your joint,” Jovanovski said to Custance. “Pull it out of your leg. Then shave the femoral head down to a certain size and cap it with titanium. Then do the same for your socket, shaving out the socket and hammering in a new socket where everything kind of joins together.”

Professional athletes that get hip resurfacing surgery typically do not have successful returns
Just speculating but would it be possible for someone to go to the game with a big enough magnet that it would interfere with his movement? If they were sitting on the glass? Is there anything in the rules that says you can't do that?

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just speculating but would it be possible for someone to go to the game with a big enough magnet that it would interfere with his movement? If they were sitting on the glass? Is there anything in the rules that says you can't do that?
Titanium isn't magnetic.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Detroit misses they could always trade him to Toronto or Boston. Maybe sign as a free agent with Montreal before getting traded to one of those teams then call it a career. :sarcasm:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kane might not be the Patty Kane of the old, but Debrincat might score 50 goals just from smelling Kane's pheromones....

They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!
The cat was going to score 50 goals this season with or without Kane
now we are talking about a bigger number.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
If the surgery went well, this is like adding a first line player for a meager 2.75m. Nice job, Yzerman!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad