Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Dec and Jan schedule wise for Detroit is brutal. One three day break for Christmas and another the second week of January. So even if Kane stays "healthy" I'd expect him to miss a game here and there.

Personally I don't expect a lot from him. Imma give him credit for at least trying to come back from this surgery. You know all the doctors told him the risks and odds of continuing his career after this procedure.
Whats the medical risks?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
So who goes to LW? Doubt Kane. Perron or Raymond? Do you want to mess either of those though? Or just run 3-deep with scoring lines?
Perron has been on the third line. For the past few games the top line has been Veleno-Larkin-Raymond and the second line has been Debrincat-Compher-Ras. Guessing Kane replaces Rasmussen as he has been a bit of a let down this season anyway.

Reactions: biturbo19

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He mentioned that Detroit hasn't been giving much on defence calling them stingy defensively in the past 3 games against the Devils, Bruins and Minnesota which they won and then asked the Coach to explain their system to him and came out of it impressed.

View attachment 775204

It sounds like he really considered Detroit high on his list even asking his agent if Detroit called already even while considering other teams.

I'm supposed to believe that Patrick Kane cares about defense?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I imagine Patty Kane could have cleared 3 million somewhere else. Nice job by Stevie Y once again.

Where? Pretty sure one of the reasons Detroit was attractive is because they could pay him a decent amount. Friedman just wrote in his 32 thoughts that Detroit could push the salary higher than their competitors.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
I'm supposed to believe that Patrick Kane cares about defense?
I have heard in the past that Kane likes to talk hockey and its very knowledgeable about the game. Then in interviews with DeBrincat and Yzerman, they were pretty much saying the same thing. That he is a hockey nerd and loves the X's and O's. With just the little I have heard it sounds like him asking about the defensive system is something he would do. Whether that translates into him actually PLAYING or helping him with his defense.. that is another matter lol

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I have heard in the past that Kane likes to talk hockey and its very knowledgeable about the game. Then in interviews with DeBrincat and Yzerman, they were pretty much saying the same thing. That he is a hockey nerd and loves the X's and O's. With just the little I have heard it sounds like him asking about the defensive system is something he would do. Whether that translates into him actually PLAYING or helping him with his defense.. that is another matter lol
would love it but don't think he will start playing great defense. I think it is more of if you have a good team defense, your chance of excelling is much higher and it can leave him to focus on what he does best which is points, vision, and hockey iq.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
He's been superb. He is probably not 100 percent yet but guys are learning to play with him. Now the team learning to play defense? They need to look elsewhere.

He is a QB on the ice. Hope he retires a Wing.

plebskeeto

Dec 13, 2023
Kane was never amazing on the defensive side of the game. His hockey IQ is just ridiculous and that has always been something that has helped him not be such a defensive liability. He always seemed to make the right play no matter where he was at on the ice. Miss him as a hawk a lot.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This signing is reminding me of Hull and Robitaille signings from back in the day. A HoF talent coming to Detroit at the twilight of their career but still bringing it.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Right now, he’s a better player than he was last year, and he’s likely not even 100%.. in game shape yet. That’s clear as day, as he’s able to create space quicker again. Something he really couldn’t do last year. Especially in NY.

Whether you believe him or not, he says he has no issue with his hip at all. Obviously everything will depend on that hip lasting though, cause those hands are still what they’ve always been.

Reactions: Seanaconda

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Maybe, sounds like he enjoying himself now but if the Wings really fall off does he really want to finish his career in the basement?
lol Were going through an awful skid and were not close to the basement, my guess is next year we come out even better with another year of Raymond, Ed up full time and who knows about the other kids or additions. This is no longer a selling team outside of guys that we know aren't coming back if were not in the playoffs.

He came to Detroit because he likes where they are heading and he doesn't see that as the basement because of an injury riddled bad streak lol

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Maybe, sounds like he enjoying himself now but if the Wings really fall off does he really want to finish his career in the basement?
A 1-5 stretch when he joined the team because the two top centers went down won't define his tenure in this team. He won't be traded.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
lol Were going through an awful skid and were not close to the basement, my guess is next year we come out even better with another year of Raymond, Ed up full time and who knows about the other kids or additions. This is no longer a selling team outside of guys that we know aren't coming back if were not in the playoffs.

He came to Detroit because he likes where they are heading and he doesn't see that as the basement because of an injury riddled bad streak lol

The basement, 12th in the East what's the difference?

I agree it likely he will re-sign with the Wings as he was pretty clear he doesn't want to be someone that jumps teams alot.

How is Detroit's cap space for next year? Kane keeps this up he should be able to get 8 million per on open market though money not the most important thing to him now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad