Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
How did Backstrom look? He was in a decline before the surgery. I honestly feel like Kane has more left in the tank then Backstrom did. Some Washington fans were thinking he should hang them up before he had the surgery. (I disagreed with that) No one was really saying that with Kane. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I honestly believe this is a different situation.
Backstrom had very good production prior to the surgery, he was still nearly PPG. He was declining near the end of the season, similar to Kane’s poor performance in NY. Hope for the best but don’t expect much here.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
How did Backstrom look? He was in a decline before the surgery. I honestly feel like Kane has more left in the tank then Backstrom did. Some Washington fans were thinking he should hang them up before he had the surgery. (I disagreed with that) No one was really saying that with Kane. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I honestly believe this is a different situation.
I don't know enough about Kane's situation to make a good comparison, but Backstrom had been suffering from hip problems for several years. I think his first hip surgery was in around 2015. He dealt with pain, problems, and further injury in the hip until the resurfacing surgery.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
sure buddy

you were saying?
Seems like a reasonable thing to maybe happen.

Dude has won 3 Cups, I'm sure he'd like another one but at this point in his career it's probably not priority #1. He's already made the big money so that's probably secondary as well. Might as well go for comfort where you can just go and do your thing, not be counted on to be the guy but have enough ice time to feel like you're still a contributor.

Could definitely see the Red Wings in that Goldilocks zone for Kane.

Last edited:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Has a team ever given up on a rebuild quite like this edition of Detroit?

I mean, retools aren't always the worst idea and this looks like a bubble playoff roster but for a team that was deep in the trenches of a rebuild they just decided f*** it and filled out 80% of their roster with veteran free agent signings.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Debrincat is on pace for a career high in goals, assists, and points. If this is struggling, what was he doing in Chicago?

And if we go by his last 13 games he is on pace for 18 goals and 44 points.

He is struggling right now..

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
We play the Hawks in a few days, wonder how long until he's in the lineup?

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Backstrom, Jovanovski, and Kesler all had it. None made it to the 40 game mark so the odds aren't in Kane's favour sadly.
The flip side of this is that an Achilles tear was a death sentence for NBA players up until recently but Kevin Durant has flipped the script. Highly skilled vet + medical advancements in the past few years.

See some similarities there.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I mean, retools aren't always the worst idea and this looks like a bubble playoff roster but for a team that was deep in the trenches of a rebuild they just decided f*** it and filled out 80% of their roster with veteran free agent signings.
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

you think the past 7 years have been a tickle fest? please do not sit there and tell me that you believe we havent rebuilt this team lol.

We did the exact opposite buffalo and edmonton were doing when they were getting the top picks in every single draft and playing their young'ns immediately with no veteran leadership around. We have plenty of young players that are about to break out and getting detroit to being the destination to getting FA like 20 years ago is about to occur again. Your supposed to infuse rookies with insulated veteran leadership. That's a proper rebuild.

Not to mention Yzerman has bought out dead contracts in 2019 that we are still paying for (abdelkader) traded away players that are just useless to get more picks/prospects/better players (leddy for picks and walman). I could go on, but I don't know if you know what exactly you are saying...

Reactions: MagicMann13

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Did you just discover today that goal scorers are streaky?

So you admit he is struggling?

I mean there is streaky and then there is Debrincat...

41 goals one season and then 18 the next, he gets put with Kane full time and looks like the potential to be a 50 goal guy...then 27 in Ottawa.

Not to mention those goals this year at the start of the year were against very weak teams...Calgary? Pittsburgh? Tampa and their ECHL goalie?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Given up on a rebuild? I would say that's a pretty big stretch if you look at what they just did for the last 5 or 6 years. They bottomed out and got zero lottery luck but made a ton of draft selections and decided to start filling out the roster with players they like to place hold until their recent picks make the push. Need to start building a competitive culture or you end up bottom feeding forever. They didn't do a Kessel type trade or hand out 8 year deals to everyone before they have proven it. Think it's a smart way to try to become competitive, the contract all aimed to expire as you would hope guys like Edvinsson and Kasper may exit their ELCs. The very worst case scenario is we completely nose dive and have Perron, Kane, Ghost on expiring deals. 3 goalies we can move and lots of depth players that would be easily moved like Fabbri & Maatta.

41 goals one season and then 18 the next, he gets put with Kane full time and looks like the potential to be a 50 goal guy...then 27 in Ottawa.

Not to mention those goals this year at the start of the year were against very weak teams...Calgary? Pittsburgh? Tampa and their ECHL goalie?

High sodium content.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
True. Just don't understand the line of thinking, that since Yzerman isn't an idiot, all his moves will work.

In our daily life we have to make risky decisions. Intelligent people make these decisions using 'calculated risks'. Some risks pan out, some don't. Yzerman has not made a risk that hurt the franchise to the extent of setting them back; everything has been very well thought out and calculated. We can nitpick his decisions like a child who picked the wrong flavor of bubble gum from a penny store.

That being said, Yzerman would have been the biggest GIGANIC IDIOT off all time beyond the highest level had he NOT signed Patty Kane to this deal.

Wings have CAP to throw away.... and still have CAP to burn up. Clearly ownership can afford the risk.

If Kane flops, Wings/Yzerman are out nothing. The owner loses 2 million pro-rated funds that he can probably earn in an hour while sitting in a waiting room.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Coach Bombay

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If we go over his past 5 games, he's a PPG player..... so....
He might be into something, take away Bedards two games at the start of the month where he scored 6pts against Florida based teams (not a real hockey market?) and he only has 11pts in 17 games… bust concern?

Reactions: Konnan511

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If yo don't try you fail.
Two quotes;
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts' -believe in yourself and never give in. 'Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential' - work hard to get what you want.
AND
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Because trying and failing is way better than not trying at all.

I don't think Kane will last long but he is smaller and lighter, his bones are just as strong as Chara's so maybe he breaks the odds. Backstrom lasted 47 games or so.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

They have a top 3 prospect pool and haven’t made the playoffs since 2016… how exactly is this giving up on a rebuild?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Why would you think the Redwings have given up on a rebuild? I don't see them trading their group of young prospects which are considered among the best in the NHL away either in the preseason or in this potential Kane acquisition?

They are third in the Atlantic Division and looks deep on paper to make the playoffs even without Kane while allowing their young studs like Edvinsson, Berggren and Wallinder, etc. to gain experience and develop in the AHL.

They allowed #1 draft pick this year Nate Danielson to go back to his junior team despite having an impressive preseason performance and have a potential star defenceman in the SHL Axel Sandin Pelikka potentially breaking league records for goals by teenage defenceman in their league only a quarter into their season.

That is just how Detroit likes treating their prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

They signed Kane to a 1 year contract lmao, that's "giving up on a rebuild"? They still have a top prospect pool, lots of young players currently on the roster. None of those vets even have long contracts and Kane's is literally less than a 1 year deal. They have done the exact opposite of give up on a rebuild.

Only on HF is a successful rebuild one where the team stays horrible forever and gets endless top 3 picks only to never have success and then keep rebuilding.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad