NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I had heard the name before but I wasn't aware a literal f***ing pastor has actual sway over football operations. No wonder that team has been a joke outside of like one 12-4 season.

Also I'm inclined to take Andre at his word. The guy was nothing but class during his time in the NFL and was beloved by fans and peers alike. And by the looks of it Texans fans are backing him 100% of the way

Oddly enough, do you know who doesn't have a pastor running its football ops? The Miami Dolphins. :laugh:

Reactions: PanthersPens62

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has every right to be pissed. I don't agree with giving any significant input on the hiring of a GM to a player, but you can't say you will include him and then blindside him. That's apparently what the Raptors did to Vince Carter and it led to a significant fall-out. At least work to explain why you hired that guy before you publicly announce it. But, it seems like as far as he knew they had a list of 5 and were working it down, and then he found out they hired someone not on the short-list who is heavily linked to Easterby who he doesn't like or trust (due to apparently leaking that Watson and Hopkins didn't get along, which wasn't true).

But, Easterby seems like a charlatan who has people in his web through his mix of religion and personal coaching web and has maneuvered himself into a position of great power within the organization. It's almost impossible to come to the conclusion that the hiring of Caserio was independent of Easterby. Now, the Texans have to follow through with either hiring a coach that the QB wants but the front office doesn't or further alienate Watson. Either option is likely to end terribly, as the key to organizational success in the NFL is alignment through all levels. In my eyes, Bieniemy would be stupid to take the Texans job at this point, it's a poisoned chalice. The only option that seems to actually work is bring in someone in the Easterby/Caserio network such as Daboll or McDaniels, and get a king's ransom for Watson and hopefully leave the draft with one of Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson, and a ton of draft capital to make up for the stupid Laremy Tunsil trade.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Surely not even the Texans are stupid enough to choose a ****ing preacher over their franchise quarterback, who has been nothing but a model citizen as well?

I refuse to believe firing Easterby doesn't fix this problem. And if they don't, they should probably just fold that franchise to save Houston fans the pain of having to watch Watson light it up for Miami or wherever else he ends up for 10-15 years because holy shit that would be an all time bad move

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He better start returning his signing bonus. The Texans waited 15 years to find a quarterback like him, still cant see him trading him. Would be franchise suicide. Ill believe when I see it. I want to see what the odds are of him playing somewhere else next season.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I alluded to that in my post. I just refuse to believe it probably part out of not having my hopes crushed as a Dolphins and part because franchise QBs literally never get flipped.

There's been guys who have been let go like Manning but there was always context, like the Colts having the #1 pick and Andrew Luck.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I would not be surprised to see SF do whatever it takes to make this happen. Would hate it but a great QB is really all they're lacking, and would be worth the loss of picks.

Reactions: John Price

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He better start returning his signing bonus. The Texans waited 15 years to find a quarterback like him, still cant see him trading him. Would be franchise suicide. Ill believe when I see it. I want to see what the odds are of him playing somewhere else next season.
Any team needing a QB will gladly give him more guaranteed money on arrival. And if Texans isn't on getting the signing bonus money back, he'll probably insist on getting it back in waiving his No-trade, possibly hurting the return the Texans get.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Any team needing a QB will gladly give him more guaranteed money on arrival. And if Texans isn't on getting the signing bonus money back, he'll probably insist on getting it back in waiving his No-trade, possibly hurting the return the Texans get.
Basically any team that needs him and can afford him should try. My point about the signing bonus is he just signed a new deal. He has no leverage. If he sits out he will be fined and probably have to return his bonus. Unless he wants to leave that badly and he actually does. Had he not signed that deal, I would very much think a trade would happen. The fact that it has gotten this far is a huge issue for the Texans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Basically any team that needs him and can afford him should try. My point about the signing bonus is he just signed a new deal. He has no leverage. If he sits out he will be fined and probably have to return his bonus. Unless he wants to leave that badly and he actually does. Had he not signed that deal, I would very much think a trade would happen. The fact that it has gotten this far is a huge issue for the Texans.
My point was even if he has to give back his bonus, whatever team acquires him will likely restructure his deal which will make him whole (and it'd likely be his ask to waive his NTC to whatever team).

I was in the "no way in hell" they trade him camp a week ago, but after reading up on Easterby, what Deshaun has tweeted, etc, I think its 50/50 at the time. Either way, the decision needs to be made by the draft. You can't trade him in camp for a package of undetermined picks. Unless some team is going to give you a top young QB back (highly unlikely, at best maybe Goff or Garropolo), you need to be in a position to get one of Lawrence, Wilson, or Fields. Plus, are the Texans in an organization they are comfortable gunning for one of Sam Howell, Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, and Tyler Shough next year?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Whatever is going to happen with Watson needs to be resolved soon or it will poison any coaching search.

I personally think Watson is as much angry about the state of the team as he is about whether they involved him in any decisions. He watched them hand power to O’Brien who somehow managed to trade away both picks and talent, leaving the cupboard bare to the point where they’re staring at a multi year rebuild. Watson sees a team that’s going to be awful for at least a couple more seasons, and he’s tired of it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever is going to happen with Watson needs to be resolved soon or it will poison any coaching search.

I personally think Watson is as much angry about the state of the team as he is about whether they involved him in any decisions. He watched them hand power to O’Brien who somehow managed to trade away both picks and talent, leaving the cupboard bare to the point where they’re staring at a multi year rebuild. Watson sees a team that’s going to be awful for at least a couple more seasons, and he’s tired of it.
They’re also over the cap.

If players are able to opt out next year he should do it. Make them fix the mess first before he puts his body on the line.

Sep 19, 2008
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
11s
There is a growing sense from people in and around the Texans’ organization that Deshaun Watson has played his last snap for the team. It’s early in the off-season, there’s a lot of time left, but Watson’s feelings cannot and should not be underestimated.

:eek:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just crazy.

If I was the Texans I'd still wait it out as much as possible and try to convince him otherwise.
I don’t know that that is possible without blind faith by Watson given how public his feelings already are. He’d basically have to hand-pick the coach himself. If he was supposed to be in on the GM search, it was obvious they lied to him because they very clearly decided on Nick Caserio probably before the decision on O’Brien was made given there was rumors *then* about it which included McDaniels. They showed their cards early that they wanted to rehash their Patriots backchannels as they did to bring in O’Brien to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad