NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They were reported to be targeting him at one point

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
As a Texans fan, I’m hoping Watson and Watt get out. Watson is supremely talented, I’d rather not watch another Andrew Luck situation play out
I think JJ based on his comments throughout the year is a person who is on his way out. They should just contract if they trade Deshaun.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Well, he's crazy good but they better trade him and start from the ground. It's good draft, a lot of potential and depth, so they could acquire a lot of picks. They are going nowhere, DeShaun or not. He's not happy. It's time to move on.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You don't get the chance to draft/acquire players of his caliber very often. Happy or not, I wouldn't trade him.

This could be an even bigger issue than the GM. I guess there's still time to schedule an interview but it's odd that so far they don't even want to talk to one of the top offensive names out there. Every other team with an opening interviewed Bieniemy.

Gase was also one of the top offensive names out there at one point :dunno: :sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think JJ based on his comments throughout the year is a person who is on his way out. They should just contract if they trade Deshaun.
JJ should move on. Whether he gets cut due to no more guaranteed money as wherever he gets traded to he would have to restructure his contract to bring the cap hit down.

Watson, brutal to have to move him.

There is a short window this week for teams to speak with him as KC is one a bye. Gm just got hired. So maybe don’t have the time to get aligned. But there are teams without a gm like Detroit. Atlanta right now who did put in a request to speak with EB.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think the Dolphins probably have the best potential package to offer with Tua and #3OA but from the Jets:

2021 #2OA
2021 #33OA
2022 Seattle 1st
Darnold (if they were interested, but I'd expect not)

Sep 19, 2008
Washington seems to be interested but I'd be wary of giving up multiple picks for him

I'm not privy to other team's situations but the prospect of dealing that many 1st and basically a King's Ransom for Watson to me at least seems crazy for this team. Washington needs to save those picks to build a team, not one player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guys like Watson won’t hit free agency. Only guys like cousins do. And there is a gap between the two.

so you will have to both accept the big cap hit and give up assets.

houston if they deal with Miami at 3, I doubt Fields is there unless they want to try to swap with the Jets. How high would they be on Lance?

I would not take Tua in return. I’d ask for both of Miami first rounders and their first next season. Doubt Miami gives up OT Jackson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Miami makes the most sense in terms of assets.

Man, what a joke of a franchise the Texans are. How the f*** did they let this happen.
Watson taking a pounding. Part on him as he tries to extend plays. He has 2 torn acl, not sure if it’s both knees on the same knee. So needed to keep him healthy. Paid the big price to get Tunsil.

we all thought wtf is happening with Miami moving a pair of former first rounders on rookie deals in Fitzpatrick and Tunsil?

Houston was a playoff team last season. Wheels fell off this year. Whether it was the Hopkins trade or whatever it hasn’t worked. Didn’t expect 4 wins but figured enough to get 7 wins or more. Same thing that happened to them after surrendering a future first to Cleveland and ending up with 4OA.

It came out this season that Hopkins skips out on practices for maintenance. Would that fly under BB? Have that kind of thinking in the management and coaching staff.

plus they did draft OL but they didn’t develop at the nfl.

It would have to take an RG3 package to acquire him. He’s proven you know that. Big cap hit so less to spend on other players.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

This could be an even bigger issue than the GM. I guess there's still time to schedule an interview but it's odd that so far they don't even want to talk to one of the top offensive names out there. Every other team with an opening interviewed Bieniemy.

Bill O'Brien was one of the top offensive names when Houston hired him away from NE...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gase was also one of the top offensive names out there at one point :dunno: :sarcasm:
Bill O'Brien was one of the top offensive names when Houston hired him away from NE...

Some work out and some don't and no one said they have to hire him. It makes sense to interview the top candidates like every other team with an opening is doing. Even more so when your best player might want to play for that coach.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Some work out and some don't and no one said they have to hire him. It makes sense to interview the top candidates like every other team with an opening is doing. Even more so when your best player might want to play for that coach.

And you told your QB he was going to be consulted and then wasn't. Ship Houston to the NFC East.

Reactions: Avs_19

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I dunno.......it would be great to have Watson on the Dolphins but they need serious help at the skilled positions & I hate to give up both 1st round picks to get him. If they can somehow keep that #3 pick (get one of those stud WR's) & mortgage away a bunch of other picks I'd be a lot more open to it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dunno.......it would be great to have Watson on the Dolphins but they need serious help at the skilled positions & I hate to give up both 1st round picks to get him. If they can somehow keep that #3 pick (get one of those stud WR's) & mortgage away a bunch of other picks I'd be a lot more open to it.
Like RB today, you can find quality WR outside round 1. The top guys are maybe either more well rounded or have an elite trait like speed, size, route running.

but WR I’d treat the trio as a unit. One speed guy, one with size for the red zone and a good route runner who the QB can rely on for short or intermediate routes to get first downs.

I think this ultimately gets ironed out.

up to Casserio to smooth things over. Sit down with Watson and outline his plan.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So you do not consider Stafford great? Because the Lions definitely are awful.

Gruß,
BSHH
No, I do not. He's not at the level of Watson.
The Lions also had several good seasons with him at the helm and have not been as consistently awful as Houston has over the first 4 seasons of Watson's career.

Watson just lost DeAndre Hopkins, a top 5 receiver in the NFL and had an MVP level season, had he been on a good team. Stafford can't say the same since he lost Megatron.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Really hope Bill gets him to the Patriots.

Me too, but I do not think it is realistic to expect.

We have too many holes to spend the draft capital that would be needed to acquire him.

Dolphins can swoop right in and offer the 3 overall pick. We have nothing close to that asset... and they would likely throw Tua in as well. I do not think Tua is that good, but he seems to be a legit starter.

So starter + 3rd ov + maybe more.

I mean, that's the most logical scenario. Pats cannot outbid that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Me too, but I do not think it is realistic to expect.

We have too many holes to spend the draft capital that would be needed to acquire him.

Dolphins can swoop right in and offer the 3 overall pick. We have nothing close to that asset... and they would likely throw Tua in as well. I do not think Tua is that good, but he seems to be a legit starter.

So starter + 3rd ov + maybe more.

I mean, that's the most logical scenario. Pats cannot outbid that.
I don’t see Tua ever getting to a top 5-7 QB level in the nfl. So if Houston does make a deal with Miami, I would assume pick 3 they take fields if he is there. Or they grab another QB maybe gamble with Lance.

I think it take an RG3 package to trade him. But with that deal RG3 was on a rookie deal so you could sign free agents to compensate for the lack of picks. Different now.

like Mack actually returned less than Ramsey and Adams. But Mack needed a new deal right away whereas the other 2 still had time on their rookie deals. So cap hits matter.
But still qbs like Watson don’t become available at this age.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Absolute 0 chance they'd an arguably top 5 QB without the 3rd pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad