NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Even from outside observers, the writing was on the wall back in September 2020 that the Texans organization was a bit of a clown-show. It didn't become a clown-show overnight or over a couple of months. The signs have been there for awhile.

So why did Watson sign a contract extension with them?

Regardless of how dysfunctional the Texans front-office is, I don't think Watson looks very good here.

Oh I think we can go back further than that. The Hopkins trade was never going to look good for the Texans.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Even from outside observers, the writing was on the wall back in September 2020 that the Texans organization was a bit of a clown-show. It didn't become a clown-show overnight or over a couple of months. The signs have been there for awhile.

So why did Watson sign a contract extension with them?

Regardless of how dysfunctional the Texans front-office is, I don't think Watson looks very good here.
He signed the extension after he was promised certain things about how the team was going to rebuild the coaching staff and front office. The team didn't honor any of those promises. When asking who looks bad here, I'm going to start by blaming the liars over the guy who feels hurt about being lied to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He signed the extension after he was promised certain things about how the team was going to rebuild the coaching staff and front office. The team didn't honor any of those promises. When asking who looks bad here, I'm going to start by blaming the liars over the guy who feels hurt about being lied to.
Didn’t Watson sign the contract while O’Brien was still with the Texans? He signed it right about the beginning of the season?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't see why a player wanting out is so disputed when the team can move players without any real reason or heads up and nobody bats an eye.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he’s not traded by the draft then he won’t be traded at all. Everyone’s gotta move to OTA’s at that point and prepare for the season.

And that’s currently my guess as to what happens. Challenge him to hold out.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I suppose Texans have more to lose. Watson can show up late and pay a few fines, he would still get paid unless he refuses to report altogether. Texans aren't going anywhere if Watson isn't locked in, so if they can't get him on board, why waste the possible assets they could acquire by trading him before the draft?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suppose Texans have more to lose. Watson can show up late and pay a few fines, he would still get paid unless he refuses to report altogether. Texans aren't going anywhere if Watson isn't locked in, so if they can't get him on board, why waste the possible assets they could acquire by trading him before the draft?
Watson would also put himself at risk if he’s not in shape. He’s had 2 ACL surgeries so he should not want to risk injury despite his guaranteed money.

Houston may not want to move him but he is definitely much more tradable than Wilson who has $39 mill in dead cap. Much lower dead cap.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hell even if they didn't make him promises, how long do they expect him to stick with a mistake?

I'm reminded of Corey Dillion just hitting that threshold where he just had to get the hell off the Bengals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad