NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watson can be miffed by not being kept in the loop based on the promise made to him earlier but how many nfl players even know who all 32 GMs are in the nfl? I think I can get to the mid 20’s of naming them. And you’re not hiring existing gm unless they were recently let go this season. Likely looking for someone in another organization.

Watsons input is more important to him on the HC than GM.

see how this unfolds

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I would absolutely trade a boatload of draft picks for Watson if for whatever reason the Texans went full stupid and didn't attempt to make him at least somewhat content.

Tua could still turn out good but Watson is already developed. Fringe top 5 QB? Have both firsts and your first next year back.

The injury history is a bit concerning sure, but it's not like he isn't a good pocket passer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Apparently there’s now some speculation (I know some was on Boston radio) that Bienemy doesn’t want the Texans job. Not sure if that’s because he wasn’t asked by them. Supposedly Matt Eberflus turned down an interview.

If you have an elite QB, which the Texans do, they should be banging down your door.

Of course, as I said while Bill O’Brien was still there, top candidates not gonna like having no 1st round pick. And theirs would be 3OV, so it’s worse.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently there’s now some speculation (I know some was on Boston radio) that Bienemy doesn’t want the Texans job. Not sure if that’s because he wasn’t asked by them. Supposedly Matt Eberflus turned down an interview.

If you have an elite QB, which the Texans do, they should be banging down your door.

Of course, as I said while Bill O’Brien was still there, top candidates not gonna like having no 1st round pick. And theirs would be 3OV, so it’s worse.
It would be a bad year to start off. Plus, the chances of immediate success also depends on what you have when you come in. Raiders, basically got rid of all of their players who would be on rookie contracts by the time Gruden entered year 2. What does Houston have in that regard?

It's not a great opportunity right off the bat. Have the most established QB, but seen that a QB alone isn't enough. Given the other openings available, I am not surprised that the top candidates are passing up on the Houston job. I would put LA as the top job. Jax, I would say #2 because the owner said publicly that he intends to remain in control. So that would worry me.

Falcons/Lions, have veteran QBs, though Ryan is older, so have the chance to draft Lance/Wilson/Fields if they want. Jets, pretty much a rebuild there, but have draft picks a plenty.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Looking more and more like Watson is utterly done with the Texans. Woof. Idiots. Good job dicking yourself out of a franchise QB for something that could have been so easy to handle.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
There is just no way they can trade him. It would be the end of people caring about the Texans in Houston.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There is just no way they can trade him. It would be the end of people caring about the Texans in Houston.

Logically you're correct. A franchise QB is the most important part of a team and most franchises will at the very least work with said QB to ensure a happy/peaceful coexistence.

That being said, the Houston Texans haven't exactly been the bastion of good logic over the last 2 years or so.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
What can they do if Watson is adamant on leaving?

He just signed a contract in September. If he didnt I could see it being possible. The player empowerment movement is not what like it is in the NBA. I mean he could always sit out and give his signing bonus back, but that wont happen.
Logically you're correct. A franchise QB is the most important part of a team and most franchises will at the very least work with said QB to ensure a happy/peaceful coexistence.

That being said, the Houston Texans haven't exactly been the bastion of good logic over the last 2 years or so.

They have made some very questionable decisions no doubt, but a city that has had to watch Schaub/Mallet/Hoyer/Fitzpatrick/Brock this past decade they arent going to trade him. If he was really annoyed with how they went about trading Hopkins, he could have always held off on signing that contract. He could have always made them franchise tag him. For now, he isnt going anywhere. Going to be an interesting offseason though for the Texans. I definitely think Watt is gone. With better coaching they will be better than 4-12 though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He just signed a contract in September. If he didnt I could see it being possible. The player empowerment movement is not what like it is in the NBA. I mean he could always sit out and give his signing bonus back, but that wont happen.

They have made some very questionable decisions no doubt, but a city that has had to watch Schaub/Mallet/Hoyer/Fitzpatrick/Brock this past decade they arent going to trade him. If he was really annoyed with how they went about trading Hopkins, he could have always held off on signing that contract. He could have always made them franchise tag him. For now, he isnt going anywhere. Going to be an interesting offseason though for the Texans. I definitely think Watt is gone. With better coaching they will be better than 4-12 though.

houston paid the resources to upgrade their OL with the hits Watson was taking. People are saying that the Bengals need to protect Burrow. Good OL don't become available very often. Have to draft them and/or coach them up.

Don't get the move to deal Hopkins. Think it came to a head that they could deal with him missing practices for maintenance, but he wanted a new contract. NFL contracts, if it doesn't benefit the team, they are not going to re-do them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Pretty much houston targeted and wanted Casserio. Went through the motions on protocol for other gm candidates.

coach makes more sense to involve Watson but not the GM imo. Very foolish for the owner to tell Watson that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably should be presumed that one reason they probably got the GM was because they had the quarterback. But there were also rumors they were targeting the GM as soon as O’Brien was fired.

Sure seems like they’re on their way to being the new Browns

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
@Blitzkrug

Would you do it?

Watson for Tua swap?
Personally, I don't see really high upside for Tua. His numbers at Bama were impressive, but their WR talent is insane. Loaded with 1st rounders, and a 1st round OT. Tua isn't huge, and not as elusive as Wilson. Closer to Brees in terms of mobility. Very accurate.

How does Tua compare to the other QBs in this draft class? Fields, Lance, Wilson, and even the later guys like Trask, etc.? Not as high on Tua personally.

Miami deal would have to involve #3OA, plus another #1 pick, either Miami's in 2021 or 2022 to start. Then is there a roster player on a rookie deal that Houston would desire? Someone like DT Wilkins who was Miami's 1st in 2019? So, he has 2 more years on his rookie deal plus a 5th year option.

I would let Miami move Tua to another team and depending on the asset that Miami gets in return, take that compensation rather than take Tua.

I know he's coming off a serious hip injury. Just wonder if he's been too accustomed to Bama's time in the pocket to push the ball into those much tighter windows in the NFL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Everything spiralled downhill since the senior McNair said in public about the inmates running the prison. Duane Brown, the LT wanted out and they moved him to Seattle. What happened? Watson took a pounding and they then had to move out 2 firsts and a second to get Tunsil who they paid more than Brown cap hit wise. Brown returned a 2nd and a 3rd. So the price to get younger at LT was 2 firsts in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Probably should be presumed that one reason they probably got the GM was because they had the quarterback. But there were also rumors they were targeting the GM as soon as O’Brien was fired.

Sure seems like they’re on their way to being the new Browns
They tried to hire this GM when Gaine was fired in June of 2019. The Patriots wouldnt let him go. The Patriots were going to file tampering charges. The Texans have been a clown franchise under O'Brien and Caserio now has to fix it.

Everything spiralled downhill since the senior McNair said in public about the inmates running the prison. Duane Brown, the LT wanted out and they moved him to Seattle. What happened? Watson took a pounding and they then had to move out 2 firsts and a second to get Tunsil who they paid more than Brown cap hit wise. Brown returned a 2nd and a 3rd. So the price to get younger at LT was 2 firsts in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

I think all of these little things have added up to where they are at now. Couple that with the team going 4-12 while him taking a beating while playing great, has brought this out. I would be shocked if he is traded, or at least for this season. He has no leverage with the extension he just signed. If he is every team that has cap space should be in on this.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
@Blitzkrug

Would you do it?

Watson for Tua swap?

Absolutely. Houston can have their picks back as well.

Tua could still be really good but Watson is already a finished product. A dual threat, probably borderline top 5 QB. Those literally do not come around ever in a trade.

There's only a couple teams in the league that wouldn't take that deal if it was presented to them imo. All that being said I'll believe it when I see it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely. Houston can have their picks back as well.

Tua could still be really good but Watson is already a finished product. A dual threat, probably borderline top 5 QB. Those literally do not come around ever in a trade.

There's only a couple teams in the league that wouldn't take that deal if it was presented to them imo. All that being said I'll believe it when I see it.

And Watson will only waive to a team he sees fit, so Miami will have a QB going into his prime.

Miami has draft capital, send Tua and picks to Houston.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Dude has won / done nothing , throw for a million yards ,ok sure isn't that what you do from behind?
Seems to me he is the last bit of cancer that must be removed before a new start.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad