NFL: Deshaun Watson sexual assault allegations

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Vick pleaded guilty, accepted his punishment and for all outwardly appearances showed growth and remorse. We as a society are pretty forgiving if someone accepts responsibility (especially if you are really skilled/useful). If this is all true, then his cooperation, acceptance and humility will go a long way to him playing again.

People will forgive abusing animals. Let me know when they forgive someone with a dozen sexual assaults.

Reactions: Barnum

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I thought maybe another team looked a Rice but he didn't sign after the arrest. This is a top-performing QB and I guess we could compare to Vick in that aspect. Vick absolutely had the book thrown at him and served a ridiculous prison sentence. He did make a comeback.

Watson, I think he would have to be out of the NFL longer if found guilty or pleas out the cases. Ray Rice definitely plays a few more years if it were not for his incident.
Vick also threw away the largest contract at its time, Watson could very well do the same.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
People will forgive abusing animals. Let me know when they forgive someone with a dozen sexual assaults.

ehh at the time Vick had to be the most hated person in the US and many people still feel that way. People react worse to killing a dog than a person in this country - there were a few accused and convicted of taking a human life in the NFL around that time

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
ehh at the time Vick had to be the most hated person in the US and many people still feel that way. People react worse to killing a dog than a person in this country - there were a few accused and convicted of taking a human life in the NFL around that time
Exactly. Vick did not have it easy quite the contrary!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NFL is going to have to get a little more proactive in their investigation, or whatever they're trying to do. The legal process being what it is, at some point it can't be business as usual here. Teams are still trying to trade for him

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He's definitely guilty of something, however the severity, legality, and morality of it is what remains to be seen.
Exactly. Obviously any sexual assault is bad but there's a wide range of severity in these cases. To compare him to Kellen Winslow III, a guy who has raped several old ladies, without knowing what he's being accused of is pretty extreme.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
NFL is going to have to get a little more proactive in their investigation, or whatever they're trying to do. The legal process being what it is, at some point it can't be business as usual here. Teams are still trying to trade for him
I don't think any team is trying to trade for him. Hence, why I think we saw the 49ers/Dolphins domino fall. No team is going to introduce him as the face of their franchise with these allegations (combined with the required trade capital).

He also got a new accuser today who isn't represented by Buzbee.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think any team is trying to trade for him. Hence, why I think we saw the 49ers/Dolphins domino fall. No team is going to introduce him as the face of their franchise with these allegations (combined with the required trade capital).

He also got a new accuser today who isn't represented by Buzbee.

Teams were/are definitely trying to trade for him. They didn't stop when accusers moved forward. Factual. Insiders would be reporting it if so.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Teams were/are definitely trying to trade for him. They didn't stop when accusers moved forward. Factual. Insiders would be reporting it if so.

We haven't heard anything about teams still trying to acquire him since the sheer amount of allegations.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

We haven't heard anything about teams still trying to acquire him since the sheer amount of allegations.

Not in the last week, no. But they were still trying once there was multiple allegations. Texans were dumb for not doing it when they could unless they knew this was coming.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not in the last week, no. But they were still trying once there was multiple allegations. Texans were dumb for not doing it when they could unless they knew this was coming.
I don't think any team/ownership is signing off on this trade when the face of your franchise's first press conference is going to 99% about the allegations/law-suits and with a significant suspension hanging over his head. Al Davis isn't in the NFL anymore.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think any team/ownership is signing off on this trade when the face of your franchise's first press conference is going to 99% about the allegations/law-suits and with a significant suspension hanging over his head. Al Davis isn't in the NFL anymore.
I don’t dispute that, but I know people at least here in Philly that the Eagles have been wanting to load to to make a play and it’s not really getting shot down (they’ve since made a trade lending credence to such). But the insiders haven’t been willing to touch this. And you know they know more than everyone else does.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don’t dispute that, but I know people at least here in Philly that the Eagles have been wanting to load to to make a play and it’s not really getting shot down (they’ve since made a trade lending credence to such). But the insiders haven’t been willing to touch this. And you know they know more than everyone else does.
I think the big-name insiders (Schefter, Rappoport) are purposefully avoiding commenting on the trade aspect due to the seriousness of the claims, outside of reporting facts (such as the NFL is investigating, or their has been another accusation)

I would have thought them trading down (essentially taking Eagles out of QB territory in the draft) hurts whatever potential Watson package unless they think Houston is high on Hurts. Most of the comments I've heard about the Eagles nationally is that they knew they couldn't get high enough up to take Wilson, hence why they traded down. It does leave them draft capital next year to make a move if Watson is cleared, and/or whatever suspension he got is over considering they likely have 3 first-round picks (given the conditions on the Wentz deal).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I kinda think the insiders are flying blind on this one. A team still showing interest up to this point has to be highly conditioned on wanting to see how this shakes out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I kinda think the insiders are flying blind on this one. A team still showing interest up to this point has to be highly conditioned on wanting to see how this shakes out.
But they would know if the league has gone silent in trying to trade for him. The fact the Texans claimed he's not for sale didn't stop them before

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But they would know if the league has gone silent in trying to trade for him. The fact the Texans claimed he's not for sale didn't stop them before
We really haven't seen any reports though. I haven't seen anything in the last 2 weeks saying teams are still in pursuit. It seems silent on all sides.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We really haven't seen any reports though. I haven't seen anything in the last 2 weeks saying teams are still in pursuit. It seems silent on all sides.
So the last thing you heard was that teams were still trying to trade for him.

As I mentioned earlier, these insiders hyped up the potential trade. They don't want blood on their hands for needing to walk it back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So the last thing you heard was that teams were still trying to trade for him.

As I mentioned earlier, these insiders hyped up the potential trade. They don't want blood on their hands for needing to walk it back.
We saw the report I posted by Allbright. I really haven't seen anything else. But, I think Dolphins, Jets seeming to have settled on Wilson, and 49ers aggressively moving up indicate that teams have moved on. There is just way too much unknown for a team to trade for Watson right now given what would be required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad