Confirmed with Link: Derek Grant obtained from Anaheim for Criscuolo + 4th

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The ideal lineup still has Farabee at 2LW, Laughton at 3C, and Grant at 4C. With JVR injured now, I would like to see:

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
Laughton - Grant - Pitlick
Raffl - Thompson - NAK

Laughton is outscoring Farabee at 2LW by a wide margin. He's got great chemistry with Hayes.
Farabee - Grant - Pitlick would be a good energy line, with Grant a CYA center for two aggressive wings.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Thompson took Grant's spot, so Grant took Laughton's spot, so Laughton took Farabee's spot, and Farabee ended up without a chair when the music stopped.

If you subtract Thompson then everyone is bumped back to where they belong and Farabee is back in. So that's what's meant by saying Thompson caused Farabee to be out of the lineup.
So then Raffl would go to 4C and grant stays at 3C?
I would rather have Farabee in and Raffl 4C.
So, does that mean that the coach thinks the drop off from Farabee to Laughton at wing is less than the drop off from Thompson to Raffl at 4C?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So then Raffl would go to 4C and grant stays at 3C?
I would rather have Farabee in and Raffl 4C.
So, does that mean that the coach thinks the drop off from Farabee to Laughton at wing is less than the drop off from Thompson to Raffl at 4C?
We wanted it to be like this (before the JVR injury and using only the players who were on the roster).

Giroux-Couts-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Laughton-Pitlick
Raffl-Grant-NAK

Thompson as a healthy scratch

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Does anyone recall actually seeing posts that said Grant is a bad player?

I remember seeing/saying that he should be 4C and not in the top 9, which is true, but I don't remember seeing it said that he's actually bad.

Again, the problem was never the player himself, it was what they did to the roster to put him in.
Without going back to look....I believe the 1st GDT or PGT had lots of comments on how bad Grant was. But I am not going to go bother to look....so maybe I am wrong. But I think I am correct.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Without going back to look....I believe the 1st GDT or PGT had lots of comments on how bad Grant was. But I am not going to go bother to look....so maybe I am wrong. But I think I am correct.
But saying he was bad in the game isn't the same as saying he's a bad player. That's what I'm specifically wondering about.

I'm know my personal complaints were that we didn't need to add two players and that I didn't want Grant in the top 9 replacing Farabee, not that he was bad individually.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But saying he was bad in the game isn't the same as saying he's a bad player. That's what I'm specifically wondering about.

I'm know my personal complaints were that we didn't need to add two players and that I didn't want Grant in the top 9 replacing Farabee, not that he was bad individually.
Well...you could look thru this thread from the beginning if you want to see those comments. Not a ton of positive things being said about Grant.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well...you could look thru this thread from the beginning if you want to see those comments. Not a ton of positive things being said about Grant.
Psst, don't tell anybody but I know what was said. ;) I was pointing out that the complaints were about the trades and the roster moves, not the player himself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

When you criticize a trade of a 4th rd pick for a player, generally, you have a pretty low opinion of the player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Luckily we all know better than to judge players based on raw scoring in small samples. ;)

I’m sure there won’t be any premature statements made in this thread. Only rational evaluations.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There were plenty after his 1st game.

Man...was he caved tonight in Corsi though...lol.

Not from me.

And yeah, he's been getting dominated in possession pretty much every game so far. Luckily he's riding the PDO train for now, but we should make adjustments before the choo-choo-train derails.

Reactions: AdamParrot

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Corsi doesn't mean much when you play Carolina, they're known for both suppressing shots and for shooting from any angle (inflating Corsi).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You can't just ignore shot attempts being 22-5 in favour of Carolina when Grant was in the ice.....under 19%.

No one on the other 3 lines were under 40%.

We are getting some great results, despite certain people getting caved.

Reactions: Striiker

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
He's obviosuly not gonna sustain his point production, but besides this... he's definitely a good fit for us. I like his game. Great pickup. Good move by Fletcher.

Don't worry about the kids. They'll get their chance. Patience is a virtue. Some of them are already getting it.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Adding good depth players has been one of the biggest differences between Hextall and Fletcher.
Fletcher has done really well in that regard. Pitlick, Grant, Braun, they're all helping.
Hextall gave us Weise, Gordon, White, Vandevelde, Filppula, Lehtera,... Basically the only decent depth player he added was Bellemare, and then he lost him in the expansion draft.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Fletcher has done really well in that regard. Pitlick, Grant, Braun, they're all helping.
Hextall gave us Weise, Gordon, White, Vandevelde, Filppula, Lehtera,... Basically the only decent depth player he added was Bellemare

Agreed, this is a glaring difference. I was always amazed by how different the player assessment was when comparing pro scouting and youth scouting during that era

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Adding good depth players has been one of the biggest differences between Hextall and Fletcher.
Hextall gave us Weise, Gordon, White, Vandevelde, Filppula, Lehtera,... Basically the only decent depth player he added was Bellemare, and then he lost him in the expansion draft.

In Hextall's Defense I don't believe he felt the team was ready to be competitive yet. The flyers had plenty of cap room this summer, and that was thanks to Hextall.

Fletcher was hired with a win now at any cost mentality.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
There were plenty after his 1st game.

Man...was he caved tonight in Corsi though...lol.
It's been most nights, if I'm recalling correctly. Disclaimer: I'm very tired and litrilly laying in bed so I could be wrong

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
In Hextall's Defense I don't believe he felt the team was ready to be competitive yet. The flyers had plenty of cap room this summer, and that was thanks to Hextall.

Fletcher was hired with a win now at any cost mentality.
True. But I doubt Hextall signed bad veteran players on purpose. Question is, would he still have signed someone like Weise if we had been a contender?
He also kept all these players way too long. Weise and Vandevelde played 3 seasons for us.
At least Fletcher realized Hartman wasn't a fit and moved him for Pitlick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad