Confirmed with Link: Derek Grant obtained from Anaheim for Criscuolo + 4th

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
True. But I doubt Hextall signed bad veteran players on purpose. Question is, would he still have signed someone like Weise if we had been a contender?
He also kept all these players way too long. Weise and Vandevelde played 3 seasons for us.
At least Fletcher realized Hartman wasn't a fit and moved him for Pitlick.

I think hexy wanted cheaply attained , cheaply signed, players while young talent was ready to slowly take over. Braun is not cheap nor was he cheaply attained. same for niskanen, same for hayes. Adding talent is always going to make your team better. I understand what Hextall was trying to do. He wanted to wait longer to be competitive. And had he waited longer I believe he would have had a system that would have allowed for not only long sustained success, but would have the depth to make a major move here or there if it needed.

Right now the Flyers are hot. This is the best team we have seen in quite some time. And as much as I am all on board with this team, there is apart of me that realizes that the sum is greater than its parts. I would not be surprised if next year this team struggled to meet expectations. Look at Calgary last year. 1st seed in the West to having a negative goal differential this year.

It's easy at this very moment to stand at the mountain top and judge hexy. But without Hexy Fletcher would never be in the position he currently is in. Fletcher walked into the most advantageous situation by a GM that I can recall. He had a competitive squad, tons of cap space, tons of draft picks, and the best nhl prospect pool, to go along with numerous young talented players on the nhl roster.

Spending money, trading picks and signing guys to win now is the easy part. The hard part is sustaining that success over the long haul

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
i think hextall gave himself a timeline to get the team right for the cup window. its why i think he signed who he did, to try to get some vetern infuence on the team and try to teach the younger guys how to be pros. the funny thing is i think this season and off season/trade deadline was the time frame he was aiming for, but he gotr canned before he could see his plan come to fruition , fruitation......fruition? plan come together

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about the next couple years, because the core of the team will be intact, Hart is emerging as a franchise goalie, and new talent is on the way.
[] = RFA
2020 potential losses:
Grant, Thompson, Pitlick, Braun, Elliott [NAK, Myers, Hagg, Patrick, Lindblom]
2021 potential losses:
Niskanen, Laughton, Raffl, and (1) to the ED (Ghost?) [Sanheim, Morin, Hart]
2022 potential losses
Giroux, Couts [Farabee]

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not worried about the next couple years, because the core of the team will be intact, Hart is emerging as a franchise goalie, and new talent is on the way.
[] = RFA
2020 potential losses:
Grant, Thompson, Pitlick, Braun, Elliott [NAK, Myers, Hagg, Patrick, Lindblom]
2021 potential losses:
Niskanen, Laughton, Raffl, and (1) to the ED (Ghost?) [Sanheim, Morin, Hart]
2022 potential losses
Giroux, Couts [Farabee]
This summer for UFAs, you are definitely looking at bringing back at least one of Grant or Pitlick. Both would be great, but it will depend on their asking price. Thompson, likely isn't back. Braun as well

Reactions: orangey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure there is room for both Grant and Pitlick.

G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - TK
JVR - Patrick/Frost - ???
Raffl - Laughton - NAK

I assume Lindblom won't be back until 2021-22, or at best the 2nd half of next season, even if he's fully recovered.
We'll see if Laczynski and/or Allison sign, they'll be good bets to compete for 3RW with NAK.
Kase, Twarynski & Bunnaman have a shot next year in TC.

Rich people problems.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I wouldn’t count Braun out. If they don’t resign (;)) him, I expect a similar vet will take his place. I don’t think they are going to hand that spot to Friedman.

GMs tend to get emotionally attached to players on winning teams. Something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wouldn’t count Braun out. If they don’t resign (;)) him, I expect a similar vet will take his place. I don’t think they are going to hand that spot to Friedman.

GMs tend to get emotionally attached to players on winning teams. Something to keep an eye on.

It's how GMs end up stuck in a ditch requiring replacement. After a boost from fixing the problems the last regime couldn't see, they make their own problems they can't see. The Circle of GM Life.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can't see Braun returning on anything other than a 1-2 year/3rd pair D-man salary contract.
He's be the 3RHD next year (his role the second half of this season), and they need to extend Myers.

The other possibility is a trade for a young high upside RHD who plays the 3RHD next year but is groomed for the Niskanen slot in two years - Zamula, York, Klaynuk are LHD, so unless they think Wylie is anything more than a future 3RHD, they may want to balance the defense going forward.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

they seem bent on having a RHD on each pairing but with the steps Sanheim and Myers are making maybe they move Ghost to the right side and let Hagg and Friedman battle for the open spot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
they seem bent on having a RHD on each pairing but with the steps Sanheim and Myers are making maybe they move Ghost to the right side and let Hagg and Friedman battle for the open spot.

Friedman is a RHD.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
i think hextall gave himself a timeline to get the team right for the cup window. its why i think he signed who he did, to try to get some vetern infuence on the team and try to teach the younger guys how to be pros. the funny thing is i think this season and off season/trade deadline was the time frame he was aiming for, but he gotr canned before he could see his plan come to fruition , fruitation......fruition? plan come together

Ok....thanks. Interesting screen name.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I’m not expecting Ghost to be on the roster next year. Unfortunately.

This might be true. Hagg didn't take Gostisbehere's spot. Myers did. The development of Myers makes him not needed as much. I know this will upset some on this site.

Reactions: Jtown

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This summer for UFAs, you are definitely looking at bringing back at least one of Grant or Pitlick. Both would be great, but it will depend on their asking price. Thompson, likely isn't back. Braun as well
Why???? We don't "need" them.

Giroux Couts Jake
Frost Hayes TK
JVR Patrick Farabee
Raffl Laughton NAK
Pimp(needs to clear waivers)

with possibly Lindblom to add later in the year.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Sounds like a plan @Stizzle could get on board with as well
We've got so much depth in the pipeline somebody has to go and I'd rather get assets than let guys walk unless there's a significant difference in the quality of the player.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Laughton > Grant

Signing the a 4th liner after a lucky year is a great way to end up with a bad contract when he regresses back to a normal shooting %.

We simply don’t need him and Laughton is already signed.
I agree Laughton is better but as the 4th line center the difference isn't big and Laughton is making some decent coin.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree Laughton is better but as the 4th line center the difference isn't big and Laughton is making some decent coin.
But so will Grant after all these goals/points this year. He's about to turn 30 and will probably be looking for the best $$$ possible.

He's never had a big payday (relative to what he's made before) so this is likely his one and only chance.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
But so will Grant after all these goals/points this year. He's about to turn 30 and will probably be looking for the best $$$ possible.

He's never had a big payday so this is likely his one and only chance.
I'd probably do 3 x 1.7, if he wants more than walk. I'm not in love with Grant as a player but I think Laughton is better at wing and could get us a late first or early second. If we are able to sign the college guys we should have enough depth to cover it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This might be true. Hagg didn't take Gostisbehere's spot. Myers did. The development of Myers makes him not needed as much. I know this will upset some on this site.
Gostisbehere hasn't played above the 3rd pair in almost a calendar year so I'm not sure how Myers, a top 4 staple now, took Gostisbehere's spot. Myers took Braun's spot, who slide down to the third pair.

It was Hagg who was scratched for Gostisbehere when he made his one game cameo after surgery. Hagg, like Gostisbehere, is not a regular on the PK. Myers does not play on the PP, etc.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad