Rumor: Demko is back and at least 4 teams have called and Canucks havent said "No" to them New Source ( ESPN)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think its a summer/draft day trade as well for Demko, though you never know.

Demko was back at practice today in New York.

Canucks have 11 games left and only 1 set of back to backs before the deadline.

Demko can conceivably play 7-8 games before the deadline.

If he looks stellar on those games , that might just be enough for someone to want him now rather than waiting till summer.
I think that's true.

I think right now, unless you are in the playoff hunt, you aren't going to be chasing a goalie for your team, but in the summer there is much more willingness to tinker, and not many goalies like Demko are available long-term.
I hope Demko can string together some solid games before the end of the season.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Isn't it better to keep a goalie than to expect quality returns/offers?

Who was the last goalie to get a return of picks and major assets?

Cory Schneider?

Reactions: zcaptain and BHD

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
According to Emily Kaplan of ESPN:

"Per sources, at least four teams have called Vancouver asking about Demko's availability -- and the Canucks haven't said no to any of those teams. If Vancouver is serious about a rebuild, it could get a lot of assets for Demko, who is just 27 and under contract for three more years on a team-friendly $5 million per season"

Its about to get very interesting in the Demko front as Demo has returned today for practice.

Which 4 teams do you think are ones very interested in Demko?

Will the Canucks trade him before the TDL... He will not be cheap, especially with that team friendly cap hit.

The Canucks very well-connected leaker is back, I guess they were on vacation when the Horvat trade happened.

Reactions: theKRAKhouse

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reiterating:

No, Buffalo is not trading for a goalie at this time. Maybe we revisit it in the offseason if UPL spits the bit and Comrie proves he's only a backup. But Buffalo is NOT trading for a goalie before the deadline.

Reactions: BHD

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Why would we be in the business of helping out a team in regards to their anchor contract? Especially when its an in division team.

That package would be suitable if it didnt include a 10million AHL goalie taking up cap space. Cap space that we can use to improve the team or buy more assets.

To put it in perspective that would be like us getting positive value on Connor Garland.

At least Garland is an NHLer.

Leafs paid a 1st to get rid of Marleau for 1 year.

You wanna eat Peterson for 2 years for free? why?
Huh, it's not free. We get a mid round first, and a young top 4 RD, and a young Centre. Yes, we have to take back money to get that.

How much do you think Demko is worth? When was the last time a goalie got that much?

If he gets dealt, I think you are going to be very disappointed in the return if this isn't enough.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Isn't it better to keep a goalie than to expect quality returns/offers?

Who was the last goalie to get a return of picks and major assets?

Cory Schneider?
Schneider only got a first which was 9OA. Roy was a big trade but no picks. Maybe Ryan Miller but that was Miller and Ott for Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier a 1st and a 3rd

lawrence

May 19, 2012
“As per source” = trust me bro.

“Didn’t say no” pretty much not hanging up on the other gm just kindly inquiring about the demko while probably asking other players.

It’s just another day at work for Alvin as a seller leading up to deadline.

For demko I be damn surprised if he’s traded.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Schneider only got a first which was 9OA. Roy was a big trade but no picks. Maybe Ryan Miller but that was Miller and Ott for Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier a 1st and a 3rd
Canucks will add Boeser :sarcasm:

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
1. I'm sure the Leafs aren't in on Demko if the position is performing well enough.

2. I think you're confusing ESPN's hockey coverage to its actual reporting.
100% the leafs are in on Demko ; have you been paying attention. They’ve been in on over 40 players for the past three months obviously they’re gonna be in on him as well.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I could see the red wings being interested if VAN would take a package with Neddy going the other way. If they wouldn't take him, then I'm not sure they would be a good fit.

Someone else was saying Vrana for Boeser. I know Demko is highly regarded right now. Obviously I will be eviscerated here for this proposal but **** it, I'll throw one out there.

DET:
Demko
Boeser

VAN:
Vrana
Neddy
Hronek
Draft pick not our first round 2023 or 24:scared:

With going off of the Horvat trade, this seems somewhat plausible if the conditions were relatively the same but not as high as Horvat got. Vrana for Boeser. Neddy/hronek/pick for demko. IDK, who says no and how fast?

A Husso/Demko goalie tandem could be dangerous when we get some pure goal scorers one of these days.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Its not terrible but the goalie coming back from LA is 100% cap dump and should come at a premium considering he has 2 more years left. So for this Canuck fan I would want something better coming back, I don't know anything about Durzi other than he was a Laff pick but he is -13 this year...how does that rank on his teams D core? Does Durzi play PK?
Durzi would be 2nd on our D core ranking after Hughes, probably right in the middle of that giant gap between Hughes and everyone else. He would improve our D tremendously. More of an offensive guy in that he puts up points and isn't over physical, but does PK. Young top 4 that can play both sides, but would be a better partner for OEL than he would be with Hughes.

Kupari is a big young physical Right shot C with upside, who is a little further along than Raty, but maybe not quite as promising a prospect. I really like Kupari in his draft year. If everything worked out perfectly, Raty would be your 2C, and Kupari #3, without a glaring gap between them.

Again, like the Horvat deal, LA's 1st could be huge if the get bounced in the 1st round and the pick comes in the 18-22 range.

Yes, the cap dump at 3.8 million in abby sucks, but there is no way you are getting 3 quality chips back for a goalie without taking some bad money back.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
100% the leafs are in on Demko ; have you been paying attention. They’ve been in on over 40 players for the past three months obviously they’re gonna be in on him as well.

That's why I said yesterday whether you're a fan of that team or play on that team, they make a 3 hour shift feel like a 12 hour shift.

Reactions: Truenorthducky

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I think thats a starting point , but i dont think that would be enough.

Peterson is at 5mil for 2 more years after this season. To get rid of that contract would be a minimum 1st round pick already, which means youre saying Demko for Durzi and Kupari.

I think it would look something like this:

Peterson
1st 2023 ( top 12 protected)
2nd 2024
Durzi
Grans

For
Demko
4th round pick 2024
Grans is not on the table and no GM will trade away the 23 1st rounder.
Also Petersen will be back with the team next season which makes Demko obsolete in term of having goalies

Reactions: Guitpik

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Durzi would be 2nd on our D core ranking after Hughes, probably right in the middle of that giant gap between Hughes and everyone else. He would improve our D tremendously. More of an offensive guy in that he puts up points and isn't over physical, but does PK. Young top 4 that can play both sides, but would be a better partner for OEL than he would be with Hughes.

Kupari is a big young physical Right shot C with upside, who is a little further along than Raty, but maybe not quite as promising a prospect. I really like Kupari in his draft year. If everything worked out perfectly, Raty would be your 2C, and Kupari #3, without a glaring gap between them.

Again, like the Horvat deal, LA's 1st could be huge if the get bounced in the 1st round and the pick comes in the 18-22 range.

Yes, the cap dump at 3.8 million in abby sucks, but there is no way you are getting 3 quality chips back for a goalie without taking some bad money back.
Durzi is bad in his zone. Canucks need D that play defense. If Durzi is not getting PP1, hes pretty much bad value.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Not entirely true. Petersen would have be in the trade to balance the $5 million cap hit. PLUS, Kings would probably have to give up a 1st round pick(due to being a division rival) and a good prospect. The Kings have $1.125 million buried in the AHL, not $4 million.
Wagner is also playing AHL.
I didn't mean that 4 mill is buried in the AHL like that.
It's more like a player costing 4 mill in real cap space plays AHL

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The Pacific is wide open. Its weak. Possibly the worst division in hockey.

The Kings have a chance, they didnt add guys like Fiala, Danault, Arvidsson just to be satisfied with being mediocre or missing the playoffs. I believe they will go for it while still having Doughty and Kopitar in the lineup.

Canucks would trade Demko to Kings and eat Peterson's salary for the soul purpose of prospects and picks which they badly need and kings have an abundance of.

If Demko is available, Kings would be on the top of my list as the most interested buyers.
Why would this even be ????

Copley is 15-3 wins, it can't be much better than that

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's got to be Buffalo, right?

1- Eastern team. He isn't going to a west team

2- Sabres are ready to transition to a new era in net. Anderson was heroic but it's time to pass the torch.

3- Sabres must have enviable trade assets, no? Which other suitor can beat their potential offers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad