Rumor: Demko is back and at least 4 teams have called and Canucks havent said "No" to them New Source ( ESPN)

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Can we for the sake of all possible gods stop including the Kings into those proposals?
We are not in a position to trade for a goalie and Copley is doing fantastic which reduces the need of a goalie.

We already have 3 goalies plus $4 mill burried in the AHL.
Even if we would want, we can't trade for a goalie

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Can we for the sake of all possible gods stop including the Kings into those proposals?
We are not in a position to trade for a goalie and Copley is doing fantastic which reduces the need of a goalie.

Cal Peterson ++ for Demko would make absoloute sense.

I honestly think that would push the Kings over the top and provide long playoff runs not only this year but the years ahead.

It also prevents them from wasting the sunset years of Doughty Kopitar, Edler.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Strip down to Zero for a "proper" rebuild. What does this even mean? trade everyone on the roster?
Who stripped it down to zero and won a cup? Did Avs do this? Boston? St Louis? Washington?

Avs moved on from guys like Duchene, Barrie, Varlamov, Kerfoot, Zadorov etc from their horrible seasons but they kept guys like Mack, Ranta, LAndeskog. That certainly cant be considered stripping it down to a zero.

Where does it say that?
Have you followed the Canucks in the last 10 years? Management holds back pieces and doesn’t trade them to teams in their division. Players are let walk to FA rather than traded. Horrible contracts signed and handcuffs from ownership. That’s a retool, not a rebuild. What makes you think this time is different?

Reactions: me2 and hn777

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Cal Peterson ++ for Demko would make absoloute sense.

I honestly think that would push the Kings over the top and provide long playoff runs not only this year but the years ahead.

It also prevents them from wasting the sunset years of Doughty Kopitar, Edler.
You might have missed the news.

The Kings are not even remotely competing for the cup.
We are 2nd in our division because we played 20 games more than everyone else.
As soon as the other teams win their games we might not even in the wildcards anymore.

Kopitar and Doughty's last days of their career mean nothing anymore since they have shown that they have nothing left in the tank if it comes to high level competition. Edler is a non factor at best.

Until then, i don't see any significant team upgrades where we give up valuable assets.
Why the Canucks would trade Demko for Petersen is also far beyond me

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Have you followed the Canucks in the last 10 years? Management holds back pieces and doesn’t trade them to teams in their division. Players are let walk to FA rather than traded. Horrible contracts signed and handcuffs from ownership. That’s a retool, not a rebuild. What makes you think this time is different?

You didnt answer my question, what does Strip it down to zero mean to you.

Do they have to trade Pettersson and Hughes for you to be satisfied that this is a rebuild?

If so, why does it have to do that for it to be considered "the proper way" when other teams that have won cups havent done this.

I personally dont get caught up on the lingo of rebeuild or retool. i dont really care what its called.

The fact is they just traded their captain and leading scorer and are listening to offers on their starting goalie.

Clearly they have identified Pettersson, Hughes, Kuzemnko, JT Miller as the players they want to surround during this rebuild/retool. Much like AVS identified Mack, Landy and Ranta as the players they wanted to surround. I'm not saying the Canucks have chosen the right players like the AVS did, but it follows a similar approach which doesnt align with your thinking of "strip it down to zero"

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
You might have missed the news.

The Kings are not even remotely competing for the cup.
We are 2nd in our division because we played 20 games more than everyone else.
As soon as the other teams win their games we might not even in the wildcards anymore.

Kopitar and Doughty's last days of their career mean nothing anymore since they have shown that they have nothing left in the tank if it comes to high level competition. Edler is a non factor at best.

Until then, i don't see any significant team upgrades where we give up valuable assets.
Why the Canucks would trade Demko for Petersen is also far beyond me

The Pacific is wide open. Its weak. Possibly the worst division in hockey.

The Kings have a chance, they didnt add guys like Fiala, Danault, Arvidsson just to be satisfied with being mediocre or missing the playoffs. I believe they will go for it while still having Doughty and Kopitar in the lineup.

Canucks would trade Demko to Kings and eat Peterson's salary for the soul purpose of prospects and picks which they badly need and kings have an abundance of.

If Demko is available, Kings would be on the top of my list as the most interested buyers.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
best i'd do is 1st, durzi, kupari and peterson for demko

I think thats a starting point , but i dont think that would be enough.

Peterson is at 5mil for 2 more years after this season. To get rid of that contract would be a minimum 1st round pick already, which means youre saying Demko for Durzi and Kupari.

I think it would look something like this:

Peterson
1st 2023 ( top 12 protected)
2nd 2024
Durzi
Grans

For
Demko
4th round pick 2024

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Demko-Kochetkov could be a decent pair for the next 4 years at $7 million total. Carolina could be in this on the offseason.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Demko-Kochetkov could be a decent pair for the next 4 years at $7 million total. Carolina could be in this on the offseason.

the would work from a Canucks POV as well as Carolina would have assets that the Canucks would be interested in. Assets such as Morrow or Jarvis

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I think thats a starting point , but i dont think that would be enough.

Peterson is at 5mil for 2 more years after this season. To get rid of that contract would be a minimum 1st round pick already, which means youre saying Demko for Durzi and Kupari.

I think it would look something like this:

Peterson
1st 2023 ( top 12 protected)
2nd 2024
Durzi
Grans

For
Demko
4th round pick 2024
i think this is pretty fair

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not to start a war with canuck fans. Trading Horvat was one thing. Trading Demko is something else. Will some players not want to be around for a full rebuild

I don't think the "2-3 year retool" plan changes whether or not they trade Demko.

They'll likely try to find a different established starting goalie elsewhere.

Whether or not it works is a different conversation lol

Most Canucks fans question whether this plan will work at all regardless of how they execute it.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Not entirely true. Petersen would have be in the trade to balance the $5 million cap hit. PLUS, Kings would probably have to give up a 1st round pick(due to being a division rival) and a good prospect. The Kings have $1.125 million buried in the AHL, not $4 million.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't think the "2-3 year retool" plan changes whether or not they trade Demko.

Most Canucks fans question whether this plan will work at all regardless of how they execute it.

time will tell

Doubt the Canes have any interest in moving Jarvis

You're right probably not, i was just suggesting that the Canes had the assets to get Demko if they wanted.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I've been pretty happy with the Leafs goaltending but if Demko is available you have to look into it, at the same time It's ESPN, so the credibility is questionable
Hate to say it but with Demko on the Leafs ......... they become the team that no one would want to face in the 1st rd.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Teams are going to want to see him play to assess where he's at after a horrid season.

I think a summer trade would make more sense (if traded at all)

I think its a summer/draft day trade as well for Demko, though you never know.

Demko was back at practice today in New York.

Canucks have 11 games left and only 1 set of back to backs before the deadline.

Demko can conceivably play 7-8 games before the deadline.

If he looks stellar on those games , that might just be enough for someone to want him now rather than waiting till summer.

Reactions: vanarchy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Finding the established goalie statement will send shivers down many rebuild fans back--it falls into the "easier said that done" catagory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad