Rumor: Demko is back and at least 4 teams have called and Canucks havent said "No" to them New Source ( ESPN)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Double Edge Sword for the Canucks:

Demko returns and plays lights out, his value goes up but ruins the tank for the Canucks.

I guess Canucks can always lose 2-1 games.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
I don’t think Blake will go all in on a goalie with hip issues. And fairly certain the King’s first will not be in play. After trading last years first, Blake will have to be faced with a huge deal to make that happen.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Thought the numbers spoke for themselves. If you are asking for a big return at least have better numbers than the guy finding his game in the AHL.

Looking at how Rutherford handled his goalies in the past, I'd say Demko is absolutely available.
No because context matters, are you new to this? Like I find it strange that I have to explain that.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Sabre fans: So is Demko still available?

Attachments

• is-it.gif
    is-it.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I don’t think Blake will go all in on a goalie with hip issues. And fairly certain the King’s first will not be in play. After trading last years first, Blake will have to be faced with a huge deal to make that happen.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was groin, not hip. He hasn't had any issues with hips since surgery way back when (most goalies actually get that surgery these days)

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was groin, not hip. He hasn't had any issues with hips since surgery way back when (most goalies actually get that surgery these days)
The hip is a ’ball and socket’ type of joint where the anterior/medial aspect is anatomically in the ‘groin’ area.
This is commonly the location where someone with hip pathology will have symptoms.

Reactions: EP to Kuzmenko

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Spencer Martin was placed on waivers by the Canucks last night which means Demko is ready to return this week.

Martin being placed on waivers now is significat imo:

To me it means the Canucks are 100% showcasing Demko.

There was talks last week that Demko would be sent to the AHL for 2 weeks for a conditioning stint.

The fact thats not happening anymore leads me to believe the Canucks want to showcase Demko asap with NHL games before the trade deadline.

There is literally no other reason that Demko should be in the Vancouver lineup now, he will kill the tank.

I trully believe the Canucks have been contacted by other teams expressing interest and Vancouver is doing their best to show that Demko is healthy and would be ready for a playoff run for a trading team.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Spencer Martin was placed on waivers by the Canucks last night which means Demko is ready to return this week.

Martin being placed on waivers now is significat imo:

To me it means the Canucks are 100% showcasing Demko.

There was talks last week that Demko would be sent to the AHL for 2 weeks for a conditioning stint.

The fact thats not happening anymore leads me to believe the Canucks want to showcase Demko asap with NHL games before the trade deadline.

There is literally no other reason that Demko should be in the Vancouver lineup now, he will kill the tank.

I trully believe the Canucks have been contacted by other teams expressing interest and Vancouver is doing their best to show that Demko is healthy and would be ready for a playoff run for a trading team.
Lots of wild assumptions here; I mainly take issue with the bolded.

There are multiple potential reasons for why the Canucks assigned Martin to Abbotsford, such as:

-Demko is ready to return and they want to play him, not to showcase him but just to play him since he’s the Canucks #1 goalie.

-Martin had been dreadful over recent months, so they want to give Silovs a chance at being the backup until Demko is healthy.

-Less likely, but they are making room to take back a goalie in a trade (may involve Schenn, Boeser, etc. or just taking a cap dump as a 3rd party to a trade).

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
The only reason a team would trade for Demko now would be because They think they are a goalie away from making a long playoff run.

The problem is no one knows if he’s healthy enough to be a guy that you can count on to make that many starts over a short period of time.

I believe we play 7 games before the TDL.

How many of those would he HAVE to play before a GM is satisified that he’s 100% healthy enough to be the starting goalie for a Cup contender?

Maybe all 7? Maybe he could miss a couple of those?

There is no way he could miss more than a couple of those. Imagine giving up the assets required to acquire him, only to find out he couldn’t be your starting goalie because of health issues.
I think the GM would lose his job immediately.

Then from our perspective: how smart would it be for us to play him that much when he hasn’t played in so long and is coming off a significant injury? That would seem really irresponsible.

If we are trading him, it’s far more realistic to do it in the off-season.

As far as him hurting the tank goes, I think behind this defense there isn’t a goalie alive that could help this team win.

puckinyourteeth

Dec 20, 2022
Have you followed the Canucks in the last 10 years? Management holds back pieces and doesn’t trade them to teams in their division. Players are let walk to FA rather than traded. Horrible contracts signed and handcuffs from ownership. That’s a retool, not a rebuild. What makes you think this time is different?
When you say “management” you mean the ownership right? I miss the days when McCaw was the owner and let the GM make the decisions.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I would be shocked if they trade him now. He is coming off an injury and his numbers this season have been terrible due to the Canucks terrible team-defense. His value is as low as it has ever been.

If they truly do want to trade him. It's not about showcasing him for four or five games before the deadline. It's about showing that he is capable of being his healthy normal self through the duration of the rest of the season. The best time to trade him will be in the off-season after he has shown a rebound.

Unless they have reason to think he won't rebound...

Reactions: pullyoursocksup

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Demko has outright said that he has not requested a trade, nor has he even uttered that to his wife.

No way he is going to get dealt. From the Canucks POV, they have a young franchise goalie on a very good contract. From the Market, he is coming back from an injury and had an awful start to the year.

I can't see The Canucks trading him for anything but a premium package, I can't see anyone giving a premium package.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can’t see them trading Demko short of an overpay.
His value is at it’s lowest and he is capable of being a top tier goalie.
Doesnt make sense to sell low.
I also can’t see teams over paying for a goalie that you dont know for sure is fully healthy.
Way too risky to trade for him right now, but now would be the time to get him at his lowest cost.
Goalie value has never really been good. Last time a goalie got a 1st round pick was Keumper when Colorado was desperate. So is trading Demko really worth it for the Canucks ?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I can’t see them trading Demko short of an overpay.
His value is at it’s lowest and he is capable of being a top tier goalie.
Doesnt make sense to sell low.
I also can’t see teams over paying for a goalie that you dont know for sure is fully healthy.
Way too risky to trade for him right now, but now would be the time to get him at his lowest cost.
Goalie value has never really been good. Last time a goalie got a 1st round pick was Keumper when Colorado was desperate. So is trading Demko really worth it for the Canucks ?

Its worth it because like you said, they arent going to move him short of an overpay.

Since the Canucks are planning to rebuild anyways, then trading Demko might be a very smart move from many angles.

- Demko can single handedly prevent the Canucks from tanking as bad as they could over the next couple years. Just look at what happened this season, i trully believe that if Demko was healthy the Canucks would be fighting for a wild car spot ( The Pacific Sucks)

- Canucks have probably the best goalie coach in the game in Ian Clarke. I have full confidence that he can work with Silovs or any other goalie we draft or sign and turn them in a good starter. Clarke's resume speaks for itself and Demko himself begged the Canucks to re-sign Clarke last year.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Apparently not that injured, as Demko is on the road trip.

Tochett said today that Demko is very very close to returning to the lineup..

I still firmly believe there is a slight chance he gets traded at the deadline, assuming he can get in a couple quality starts in the next 10 days.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Canucks appear to be having an everything must go sale. Must not be in very good cap shape.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
According to Emily Kaplan of ESPN:

"Per sources, at least four teams have called Vancouver asking about Demko's availability -- and the Canucks haven't said no to any of those teams. If Vancouver is serious about a rebuild, it could get a lot of assets for Demko, who is just 27 and under contract for three more years on a team-friendly $5 million per season"

Its about to get very interesting in the Demko front as Demo has returned today for practice.

Which 4 teams do you think are ones very interested in Demko?

Will the Canucks trade him before the TDL... He will not be cheap, especially with that team friendly cap hit.

To the Oilers please Campbell has to go the other way. What do we add , Oilers 1st 2023

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Please Buffalo..Do something!!

Montembeault, Demko, I don't care, just f***ing do something!!!!

PS. Keeping Ullmark no longer an option. Smh

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Please Buffalo..Do something!!

Montembeault, Demko, I don't care, just f***ing do something!!!!

PS. Keeping Ullmark no longer an option. Smh
Ha ha

I watched the Leafs last night, UPL was bad. Gave way too much net on a couple of the goals.

His stats for the year don't look good either.

Very surprised Anderson didn't play last night.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad