Rumor: Demko is back and at least 4 teams have called and Canucks havent said "No" to them New Source ( ESPN)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Teams are going to want to see him play to assess where he's at after a horrid season.

I think a summer trade would make more sense (if traded at all)

The report is also saying that there are 4 teams that have called now and that list of suitors would expand if he was to get in games and play well.

So based on that report, there are 4 teams interested now, which means they dont care if Demko returns or plays well before the deadline, the other teams interested are wanting to see how he does before deadline.

So perhaps the chances of Demko being traded before deadline is not low after all.

I think most Canucks fans would be happy with this.

that would bail out the Kings big time if thats all it took. 2 birds with 1 stone for them.

Reactions: vanarchy

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
You didnt answer my question, what does Strip it down to zero mean to you.

Do they have to trade Pettersson and Hughes for you to be satisfied that this is a rebuild?

If so, why does it have to do that for it to be considered "the proper way" when other teams that have won cups havent done this.

I personally dont get caught up on the lingo of rebeuild or retool. i dont really care what its called.

The fact is they just traded their captain and leading scorer and are listening to offers on their starting goalie.

Clearly they have identified Pettersson, Hughes, Kuzemnko, JT Miller as the players they want to surround during this rebuild/retool. Much like AVS identified Mack, Landy and Ranta as the players they wanted to surround. I'm not saying the Canucks have chosen the right players like the AVS did, but it follows a similar approach which doesnt align with your thinking of "strip it down to zero"
You’re taking one word too literally here. Obviously no one is advocating for trading Petey and Hughes. It’s obvious the Horvat trade was forced by their stupid decision making to sign Miller over him. This lines up perfectly with the last regime of management that didn’t work. We chose to sign silly deals like Beagle, Roussel, Holtby and other things that didn’t allow us to resign more integral players like Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. This is the worst kind of asset management you can have and it’s being mirrored once again here with this new management.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
There is no tandem. Murray is made of glass. And he has been riding pine for a while before his recent injury. But, that doesn't mean I want the Leafs to pay the price for Demko.

I get you, been there done that with Murray and Jarry is also made of the same type of glass so here we are.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Durzi and Kupari are not my favourite Kings prospects/players in their roles, but they're both right handed, and each play a position we need. I'd rather have a more defensive or physically oriented defender over Durzi, but the value isn't bad.

If we make that move, and move Schenn for a second, we're in good shape for the draft.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think thats a starting point , but i dont think that would be enough.

Peterson is at 5mil for 2 more years after this season. To get rid of that contract would be a minimum 1st round pick already, which means youre saying Demko for Durzi and Kupari.

I think it would look something like this:

Peterson
1st 2023 ( top 12 protected)
2nd 2024
Durzi
Grans

For
Demko
4th round pick 2024
I don’t see the Kings trading two of their prized, young RHD in one trade. They already traded Faber in the summer too.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The report is also saying that there are 4 teams that have called now and that list of suitors would expand if he was to get in games and play well.

So based on that report, there are 4 teams interested now, which means they dont care if Demko returns or plays well before the deadline, the other teams interested are wanting to see how he does before deadline.

So perhaps the chances of Demko being traded before deadline is not low after all.

that would bail out the Kings big time if thats all it took. 2 birds with 1 stone for them.
I get what you are saying, but I don't care about the cost to them as much as the benefit to us. This package is pretty big:

-unprotected 1st in this draft from a team that will most likely make it, but not guaranteed.
-Durzi is a huge add on our RD, on a very good deal that expires as RFA and fits our age group. He is a good offensive D for our right side.
-Kupari is another big young C with upside.

When was the last time a goalie went for a bigger package than that?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I wanna clear this up, Because its getting out of hand recently.

This is the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Section.

If there is a new source, Thats credible, There is nothing wrong with making a new thread.

People who attack posters about creating threads will get removed, and further warnings might be added.

Thank you, Continue on.

Feb 19, 2018
This would be an overpay with Demko’s contract being one of the best bargains in the NHL. If not the Canucks just hold onto their stud Goalie happily. This move would be returning a bluechip Prospect instead of a 1st and another lesser Prospect.

Canucks are in no rush here and would have to be blown away as they have stated he is a franchise Goaltender.

Reactions: Canuck86

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I get what you are saying, but I don't care about the cost to them as much as the benefit to us. This package is pretty big:

-unprotected 1st in this draft from a team that will most likely make it, but not guaranteed.
-Durzi is a huge add on our RD, on a very good deal that expires as RFA and fits our age group. He is a good offensive D for our right side.
-Kupari is another big young C with upside.

When was the last time a goalie went for a bigger package than that?

Why would we be in the business of helping out a team in regards to their anchor contract? Especially when its an in division team.

That package would be suitable if it didnt include a 10million AHL goalie taking up cap space. Cap space that we can use to improve the team or buy more assets.

To put it in perspective that would be like us getting positive value on Connor Garland.

At least Garland is an NHLer.

Leafs paid a 1st to get rid of Marleau for 1 year.

You wanna eat Peterson for 2 years for free? why?

Reactions: Canuck86

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Its not terrible but the goalie coming back from LA is 100% cap dump and should come at a premium considering he has 2 more years left. So for this Canuck fan I would want something better coming back, I don't know anything about Durzi other than he was a Laff pick but he is -13 this year...how does that rank on his teams D core? Does Durzi play PK?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Moving Demko means full on rebuild. That means Pettersson won't stick around.

I just don't see it. And I don't see teams making an offer that is worth considering.

Reactions: Raistlin

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Moving Demko means full on rebuild. That means Pettersson won't stick around.

I just don't see it. And I don't see teams making an offer that is worth considering.

Disagree. Moving Demko, yes would be a step backwards, but it doesnt mean it effects the 2-3 retool window that management has already expressed before trading BO.

We have a fantastic goalie in the farm, that apparently Ian Clarke is super high on. which of course is Arturs Silovs. He is 19-9-4 as a 21 yr old in the AHL, 1st year as full time starter.

We can also dip in the free agency for a stop gap starter like Tristan Jarry.

Silovs ideally will be the guy when we are ready to compete. He will be 24 yrs old at that point.

Regardless, trading Demko doesnt atomatically mean it will make our retool plan from 2 years to 5 years,

I think Pettersson and Hughes are here to stay for the long run and are committed in doing so. This is their franchise now.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Disagree. Moving Demko, yes would be a step backwards, but it doesnt mean it effects the 2-3 retool window that management has already expressed before trading BO.

We have a fantastic goalie in the farm, that apparently Ian Clarke is super high on. which of course is Arturs Silovs. He is 19-9-4 as a 21 yr old in the AHL, 1st year as full time starter.

We can also dip in the free agency for a stop gap starter like Tristan Jarry.

Silovs ideally will be the guy when we are ready to compete. He will be 24 yrs old at that point.

Regardless, trading Demko doesnt atomatically mean it will make our retool plan from 2 years to 5 years,

I think Pettersson and Hughes are here to stay for the long run and are committed in doing so. This is their franchise now.
Our goalie farm has run dry. Silovs isn't nearly the same prospect that Demko/Markstrom/Schneider was. He is promising, and the team reportedly really loves him, but he hasn't blown anything out of the water. If anything, Abbotsford has had similar issues with goaltending support to the Canucks this year.

Demko was playing like a top 5 goalie in the league the last couple years. He was the reason for much of our success. If we either move him or he doesnt get back to form we're f***ed. Premier starters dont just grow on trees, and its almost always a dice roll on free agents. We could easily spend another 5+ years looking for a quality starter after.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I wanna clear this up, Because its getting out of hand recently.

This is the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Section.

If there is a new source, Thats credible, There is nothing wrong with making a new thread.

People who attack posters about creating threads will get removed, and further warnings might be added.

Thank you, Continue on.
I mainly dunk on UrbanImpact because he’s an annoyingly biased poster. When I posted a rumour/speculation thread about Russo commenting on Pettersson potentially wanting out of Vancouver, UrbanImpact quickly dismissed Russo as a bad source. A week later, he posts a thread where the source is Russo. Just a lame double standard based on blind homerism. He deserves getting some flack for his inane positions.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

I assume the current teams don’t care if he plays because they want to buy low. If he plays well, the list will get bigger and so will the price.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Have you followed the Canucks in the last 10 years? Management holds back pieces and doesn’t trade them to teams in their division. Players are let walk to FA rather than traded. Horrible contracts signed and handcuffs from ownership. That’s a retool, not a rebuild. What makes you think this time is different?
You do realize we had a regime change? We have not seen them do anything like that at all, and so far nothing suggests they would do it. Hamonic, Motte, Horvat, were traded to get assets out of them. Only mistake they’ve made is re signing Boeser but they did so hoping Boeser would increase his value. Can’t fault them for signing JT after coming off a 100 point season, I’ll give them a slight pass.

We don’t need a strip it down rebuild when we have 2 franchise players under 25. You build around them. Rangers, Avs, Islanders, Blues, Caps, Bruins, Jets etc never stripped it down, look how successful they are. New Jersey, Buffalo, Arizona, Detroit have been stripping it down for the past decade and only New Jersey has finally come around. Anaheim and Chicago are stripping it down because their old core either retired or have slowed down.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Can’t fault them for signing JT after coming off a 100 point season,
They didn't have to resign him especially when there's a year left on his contract... They could have traded him, or even see how he performs this year before giving him that contract.

Do you think it will still costs 8M to sign JT miller given how he is performing this year?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Not to start a war with canuck fans. Trading Horvat was one thing. Trading Demko is something else. Will some players not want to be around for a full rebuild
Hopefully! We aren’t going anywhere ever again with Fatquilini heading up hockey ops so I’d rather just see everyone ask out and force them to actually do it right for once.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I mean yes, technically, laughing and hanging up doesn’t count as saying “no”.
Teams are still wondering after Allvin said "who's bald smart and hangs up?"....then got a dial tone why the Canucks never said "No"

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
best i'd do is 1st, durzi, kupari and peterson for demko
I don't think the Canucks will do another Quantity trade with any of their top players this season.
Demko for Buffalo's Savoie or something like that is more up the Canucks' alley right now.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They didn't have to resign him especially when there's a year left on his contract... They could have traded him, or even see how he performs this year before giving him that contract.

Do you think it will still costs 8M to sign JT miller given how he is performing this year?
JT Miller could have been the one pressing for the deal. In the end he did sign for less than expected, which I think is the reason the Canucks agreed to sign him early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad