Value of: Defenseman to the NJDevils: (COL, EDM, PIT, LAK, ANA, NYI, FLA, CAR, MIN, ARZ)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ya.. lol I don't get why even ask.

Lindholm would cost enough that I don't even bother trying to work out a deal cuase devils fans would get offended.

Shoulda aimed at fowler... tho he has looked a lot better that hes playing the type of mins he should be playing instead of what RC had him playing.

I'd do Smith+ for Lindholm without blinking; an unprotected 1st on top would certainly make me pause, but I'd probably still do it.

What's the deal with Fowler?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hmm. I was tempted give up Nurse, but the only guy Id want from NJ is the great Daniil Misyul

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Sorry... many players have prime years from 25-30 range. You can have your own opinion of Drouin all you want. We are not trading him for a 1st and that is our prerogative. We know about Drouin's game and flaws and potential more than you do

We are not selling low. The potential for Drouin to be a close to pt/game player in his prime once Kotkaniemi develops into a top 2C is there.
Most players have their best offensive seasons before 25 and all Drouin has to offer is offense. He's horrible without the puck. Really horrible

Reactions: redwings25

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'd do Smith+ for Lindholm without blinking; an unprotected 1st on top would certainly make me pause, but I'd probably still do it.

I can't imagine why the Ducks would be interested that that trade. A slightly above meh mystery box and a lottery ticket for their 1d? Not all that enticing to be honest

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The Devils are in major need of a defensive LHD to play alongside PK Subban on the top pairing.

XXXX-Subban
Greene - Vatanen
Butcher - Severson
Carrick

What would it take from New Jersey to acquire this specific player from each team? The assets that are expendable from the Devils are:
2020 1st round pick, Miles Wood, Michael McLeod, Joey Anderson, Brett Seney, Mirco Mueller, John Hayden, any prospect not named Ty Smith or Daniil Misyul.

Colorado: Nikita Zadorov
Edmonton: Darnell Nurse
Pittsburgh: Brian Dumoulin
Los Angeles: Alec Martinez
Anaheim: Hampus Lindholm
New York I: Nick Leddy
Florida: Michael Matheson
Carolina: Joel Edmundson
Minnesota: Jonas Brodin
Arizona: Niklas Hjalmarsson

If the Devils can acquire one of these defenseman, I think it would go a lot way to helping the team start racking up wins.

Zero chance Pens trade Dumoulin. Do you realize what you have to give up to get a team to give up a defenseman that plays on their top pairing? Good luck with what you want because I am sure the price is far more than you would be willing to pay. For example if the Pens trade Dumoulin what would have to come back to make them a better team? Can’t think of something that would be worth moving Pettersson to 1LD, Jack Johnson to 2LD, and Riikola to 3LD. You tell me what would have to come back to make up for that down grade? Pens are in win now mode for the next 3 years so Pens won’t be looking for futures.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

What's the deal with Fowler?
I think value wise Smith + unprotected 1st is pretty close to fair.... granted idk that id do it(have to think adding a player like Lindholm to jersey, improves there chances of being a playoff time pretty significantly... so chances of that 1st being lets say 5-15 are slimish)

As for fowler, nothing really wrong with him hed just be more readily available than Lindholm... hes looked good with the coaching change... the play him mins where he can be more effective, and don't try and force him into situations where he cant use his skating as much. Right now im happy with the direction of the team, I expect fowler to have his best season as a pro this year. You can def see the team is a bit off as far as the new system goes... I really don't think well know what this roster is capable of until 15-20 games in when the team is used to the system/each other. So overall it would be tough to make any moves until then

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So you want a top pairing LHD but your best prospects are off the table? Okay.

Please don't ever take anything the OP says as if its the majority of the Devils' fanbase. We know that we'd have to give up something good and more to get a good LHD

I would be willing to part with Ty Smith, our 2020 1st, Jesper Boqvist, etc in a deal for a legit stud. I know that will be hard to come by though.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Something is wrong. The new coaching/scouting is here for 5 years already. How come we did not develop a single defenseman? Not to mention left handed 1. I don't think the Devils should give up picks to get a defenseman, or even buy anybody. No matter who they bought/brought to NJ, either did not work out, or did not want to stay, left and became good.

Since our kids are basically around 20 years old. We should get rid of Hall, get picks, and draft correctly to build a core around our first overalls, and play them for decades. No more turnover. No more idiotic purchases in free agency, which they do every year with the exact same result minus Palmari.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Lindholm is not available

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Something is wrong. The new coaching/scouting is here for 5 years already. How come we did not develop a single defenseman? Not to mention left handed 1. I don't think the Devils should give up picks to get a defenseman, or even buy anybody. No matter who they bought/brought to NJ, either did not work out, or did not want to stay, left and became good.

Since our kids are basically around 20 years old. We should get rid of Hall, get picks, and draft correctly to build a core around our first overalls, and play them for decades. No more turnover. No more idiotic purchases in free agency, which they do every year with the exact same result minus Palmari.

OK what players "left and became good"?

I need to hear these names.

"No more idiotic purchases in free agency"? Literally what? The Devils have not spent big in free agency at all under Shero. The only ones that come to minds are Simmonds (on a 1 year deal so who cares) and John Moore like 4 years ago. Are we talking about the right team here?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Martinez might not be available until closer to the deadline, regardless of how fast LA sinks to the bottom of the standings. The problem is that they have 3 rookies on the blue line already. Blake may be reluctant to move him until Forbort's healthy or he can find a deal to acquire an over paid vet on a cap dump.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Number one dmen entering their prime who are playing on teams with hardly any defensive depth cost a **** load. NJ would be adding, not Anaheim.

No, they wouldn't. Get real. Lindholm is good but hes not getting Hughes, let alone Hughes +. Prob not even Hischier tbh.

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Roy is a very good AHL Damn but hasno place on the big club.. so I agree there
I look at Marty and all i've seen teh last 3 seasons are no look passes to the middle of teh ice or worse yet to opposing players.. The guy was at his best on the 3rd pairing, although when a team has Doughty, Mitchell, Muzzin, Voynov, Regher and Scuderi as top 4s its easy to place him there.. Can he play a top 4 role? yes.. Should he? as you've said, if he has a legit defensive partner then yes.. and the cherry on top is the fact that he's really a LHD that plays better on his off hand... Marty+Lewis gets us 2 picks
I agree with 90 percent of what u said except a marty and lewis gets more then 2 picks

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

A few years ago this board was ga-ga over Jon Merrill, Santini, Eric Gelinas, Severson, Only one has remotely panned out. The focus has been forwards for the Devils it seems and a bunch have panned out...not good drafting and development of D.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree with 90 percent of what u said except a marty and lewis gets more then 2 picks

right now no, but I see them rebounding and pumping up their value ala Toffoli and Hutton. Which is another potential package

edit: pick wise I was think 1 & 2.. if they rebound as expected add a prospect/young player. Maybe even a Jake Muzzin type return

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
right now no, but I see them rebounding and pumping up their value ala Toffoli and Hutton. Which is another potential package

edit: pick wise I was think 1 & 2.. if they rebound as expected add a prospect/young player. Maybe even a Jake Muzzin type return
personally i think Martinez can get u a muzzin return on his own but he needs a better partner asap. Lewis ur looking 4th maaybe 3rd

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I would trade Dumo for a better version of Dumo. I don't expect any response to this post because that doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: BHD

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is like the 5th time I've seen a Devils fan ask about Dumoulin.

Stop it. It's not happening

Yeah, but I'll gladly give them Jack Johnson and a hamburger today for a dollar tomorrow. :naughty:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse isn’t available. Klefbom is also not available. No good young defencemen that will make an impact are available for spare parts.

For what you’ve listed, we could work out something on Kris Russell. Maybe a swap of Caleb Jones for Mike McLeod. That’s about it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If the Devils are willing to move their 1st, I could see a 3 way trade with the Avs, Mtl and Drouin.

Avs get Drouin
Mtl gets 2020 1st
NJ gets Zadorov

I'm sure there would be some more pieces involved but that would be the core of the deal.

I really like it.

Not sure if the AVs want the pick or Drouin, but the core proposal is really interesting.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Nurse isn’t available. Klefbom is also not available. No good young defencemen that will make an impact are available for spare parts.

For what you’ve listed, we could work out something on Kris Russell. Maybe a swap of Caleb Jones for Mike McLeod. That’s about it.

I'd say they're definitely shopping more in the Russell range.

Jones swap would be interesting but I'm not sure I'd move him at this point.

I'd be moving Russell and maybe Benning later so you might need the depth of Lagesson and Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad