Value of: Defenseman to the NJDevils: (COL, EDM, PIT, LAK, ANA, NYI, FLA, CAR, MIN, ARZ)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'd say they're definitely shopping more in the Russell range.

Jones swap would be interesting but I'm not sure I'd move him at this point.

I'd be moving Russell and maybe Benning later so you might need the depth of Lagesson and Jones.

Russell is garbage. NJD can't easily get better players through Waivers.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
The Devils are in major need of a defensive LHD to play alongside PK Subban on the top pairing.

XXXX-Subban
Greene - Vatanen
Butcher - Severson
Carrick

What would it take from New Jersey to acquire this specific player from each team? The assets that are expendable from the Devils are:
2020 1st round pick, Miles Wood, Michael McLeod, Joey Anderson, Brett Seney, Mirco Mueller, John Hayden, any prospect not named Ty Smith or Daniil Misyul.

Colorado: Nikita Zadorov
Edmonton: Darnell Nurse
Pittsburgh: Brian Dumoulin
Los Angeles: Alec Martinez
Anaheim: Hampus Lindholm
New York I: Nick Leddy
Florida: Michael Matheson
Carolina: Joel Edmundson
Minnesota: Jonas Brodin
Arizona: Niklas Hjalmarsson

If the Devils can acquire one of these defenseman, I think it would go a lot way to helping the team start racking up wins.
Leddy for 1st OR leddy + dal colle for ty smith

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Zadorov is realistic as far as I can tell the org isn't in love with him but you'll have a hard time convincing their fans.

Nurse is highly unlikely as it would cost NJ an arm and a leg.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
So you have Nurse on the list, a top 10 pick who has panned out, and the best piece you will offer is a top 10 protected 1st?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why don't you just say you don't watch him...

Russell is just garbage.

Already 32 years old, undersized and overpaid DMan. He's too small to play Defence and can’t even out score the substantially bigger Zadorov. With 2 years remaining on his deal and partial NMC, better options are available through Waivers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Russell is just garbage.

Already 32 years old, undersized and overpaid DMan. He's too small to play Defence and can’t even out score the substantially bigger Zadorov. With 2 years remaining on his deal and partial NMC, better options are available through Waivers.

he did outscore Zadorov, actually. Has each of the last two seasons. 16 is still bigger than 14.

he’s been big enough and good enough to play nearly 800 games in the NHL.

he’s not a top 4 option, but he’s hardly garbage.

zadorov’s career high for assists is 13? 7 last year? With the weapons Colorado has? Does he play with a shovel?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Russell is just garbage.

He's needlessly expensive for N.J. with Smith on his way next year, and Russell doesn't belong in this thread, he's not going to play top pair. But it doesn't seem like you know his game. He's a stocky guy that defends well and might have more shot blocks in the last ten years than any other player. His weaker points are in puck movement.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
he did outscore Zadorov, actually. Has each of the last two seasons. 16 is still bigger than 14.

zadorov’s career high for assists is 13? 7 last year? With the weapons Colorado has? Does he play with a shovel?
I would pay some seriously good money to see this.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo

that would be a danger to society.

something around Zadorov for a 1st plus something small seems fine theoretically, but not now. just in the offseason or near the TD if the Avs are out of the race. much more logical now would be a trade for an upgrade on the Top 6, which Wood is miles (no pun intended) far away from that. the name would be Palmieri but I guess there's no interest in moving him so...

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Scoring difference is so infinitely small involving just a few points. What could he do? Too small for a defensive player. Old to build for the future. An aging, small player that can’t score or play defence is comparable to Zadorov?

Weapons? EDM had 4-1st overall picks includes McDavid. Russell is a joke. Nurse or Klefboom.

NJD is not that stupid if they have to choose between players.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Yes, because that's how we should evaluate Zadorov's game. On hockeyDB...

He's not an offensive defenceman. He hits, he plays aggressive, and intimidates the opposition. So far this year he's been good positionally and has been making a good first pass out of the zone.

Reactions: 63 others

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Scoring difference is so infinitely small involving just a few points. What could he do? Too small for a defensive player. Old to build for the future. An aging, small player that can’t score or play defence is comparable to Zadorov?

Weapons? EDM had 4-1st overall picks includes McDavid. Russell is a joke. Nurse or Klefboom.

NJD is not that stupid if they have to choose between players.

too small arguments died. They’re buried out back.

Nurse and Klefbom are absolutely not available for the dirty sock full of nickels the Devils are shopping with. If they don’t want Russell, they’d best shop elsewhere. We ain’t selling.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, because that's how we should evaluate Zadorov's game. On hockeyDB...

He's not an offensive defenceman. He hits, he plays aggressive, and intimidates the opposition. So far this year he's been good positionally and has been making a good first pass out of the zone.

I didn’t start the “buh scoring” argument so don’t complain to me if you don’t like it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I didn’t start the “buh scoring” argument so don’t complain to me if you don’t like it.

You stated “Does he play with a shovel?” comment.

Russel must be completely useless. McDavid has made Neal the top goal scorer in the league. You would expect a smallish DMan to have even more points.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You stated “Does he play with a shovel?” comment.

Russel must be completely useless. McDavid has made Neal the top goal scorer in the league. You would expect a smallish DMan to have even more points.

that was in response to your stupid “outscored” comment - which he hasn’t ever done, BTW.

you have a strange size fetish. We get it, Zadorov is big. That seems to be the end of his “pro” list.

I remember the days you guys thought he was better than Nurse. Fun times.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
BUF is deeper with RHD. Risto has been rumoured and might be a good fit. I believe Sabres will wait until the TDL.

Buffalo has a surplus of LHD when Pilut comes off IR as well. Scandella has a history of being the safe member with a more offensively minded RHD partner, like Risto recently and Spurgeon before him. He is probably more likely available than McCabe who recently got a letter and is less expensive than the press talk about Ristolainen.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The Devils are in major need of a defensive LHD to play alongside PK Subban on the top pairing.

XXXX-Subban
Greene - Vatanen
Butcher - Severson
Carrick

What would it take from New Jersey to acquire this specific player from each team? The assets that are expendable from the Devils are:
2020 1st round pick, Miles Wood, Michael McLeod, Joey Anderson, Brett Seney, Mirco Mueller, John Hayden, any prospect not named Ty Smith or Daniil Misyul.

Colorado: Nikita Zadorov
Edmonton: Darnell Nurse
Pittsburgh: Brian Dumoulin
Los Angeles: Alec Martinez
Anaheim: Hampus Lindholm
New York I: Nick Leddy
Florida: Michael Matheson
Carolina: Joel Edmundson
Minnesota: Jonas Brodin
Arizona: Niklas Hjalmarsson

If the Devils can acquire one of these defenseman, I think it would go a lot way to helping the team start racking up wins.

Only guys on that list possible to aquire is prob Brodin, Hjalmarsson, Matheson (if you really want him), Dumolin, ... Martinez maybe.

Others fill a to good spot already on their team.

Its a hard quest. Brodin really doesnt have much offense, may be smart, but hardly even capable to play physical. Hjalmarsson checks some boxes, and is probably the easiest and fittable target. If they could reach for Martinez or Dumolin, that would be awesome for NJ.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Well, he is not just some middle 6 winger. And yeah, we will keep pushing him to mature and he does look good with Kotkaniemi. Can he do it for a full season? We will see but at the end of the day, his production indicates he is more like a top line talent than just some middle 6 winger.

- 12th most points for LW's
- 21st in pt/game for LW's
- 7th most PP points for LW's

Evidence is staring you in the face and he did this with a very disappointing 20 games to end the year! He is definitely a young top 6 forward talent but you are doubling down on his flaws by exaggerating them
Drouin is a top six winger. He may have more to give and he may not. But I do agree that the Habs should really stick with him. They need to take the gamble that he has more to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad