Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have gripes with some of DeBoer's actions (for one, breaking up the Hertl-Couture-Meier line was puzzling). But, I can often guess at what he is trying to do...and of course, acknowledge that he is privy to a lot of information and pressures that I am not privy to. Just as an example, keeping Thornton-Pavelski together for so long was a bad decision...except that it may not have been DeBoer's decision. Long gone are the days where coaches had complete control over their teams. Thornton or even Pavelski have significant sway over their own deployment.

Plus, more than anything, a much bigger issue is with the players struggling. Joel Quenneville cannot improve Jones or rehabilitate Vlasic. Sure, he could play Ryan more (and Ryan often isn't making his case) or bench Melker Karlsson, but I don't think those are major issues.

Have you seen the 5V5 metrics for Burns with and Burns without Joakim Ryan on the ice? Benching Joakim Ryan is absolutely a major issue. So is the power play, which I believe is primarily struggling due to the way it is being played. I also believe that playing Melker Karlsson, who has 0 goals in his last ~55 games and is one of the NHL’s worst possession players, actually is a major issue.

Look, some of this stuff I agree with. I agree that a lot of the players are letting us down. I totally do. Vlasic, Jones, are right at the top of my shit list as well and I would trade them for future considerations today and drive them to the airport at 11:14 PM right now if I could.

But I also believe that the way that the team as a whole is playing is still much better than a 97 point pace and 2nd place in the NHL’s worst division. And I believe that a better head coach would be more flattering to Jones and Vlasic. And while some of DeBoer’s decisions can be explained, some absolutely can’t. And now we’re hearing word that Erik Karlsson may be unhappy with him.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I have gripes with some of DeBoer's actions (for one, breaking up the Hertl-Couture-Meier line was puzzling). But, I can often guess at what he is trying to do...and of course, acknowledge that he is privy to a lot of information and pressures that I am not privy to. Just as an example, keeping Thornton-Pavelski together for so long was a bad decision...except that it may not have been DeBoer's decision. Long gone are the days where coaches had complete control over their teams. Thornton or even Pavelski have significant sway over their own deployment.

Plus, more than anything, a much bigger issue is with the players struggling. Joel Quenneville cannot improve Jones or rehabilitate Vlasic. Sure, he could play Ryan more (and Ryan often isn't making his case) or bench Melker Karlsson, but I don't think those are major issues.
I don't believe for second that Jumbo has a say in who he plays with. If he does then PDB has lost the room and should be gone. The days of the coach being in charge are not long gone. That is just not a reasonable assertion. Tell that to torterella, or any number of hard ass coaches currently in the NHL.

I am more curious about something you said in the other thread about teams needing to match their coaches on some level. Do you think this team as configured is a match for Quenville?

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Have you seen the 5V5 metrics for Burns with and Burns without Joakim Ryan on the ice? Benching Joakim Ryan is absolutely a major issue. So is the power play, which I believe is primarily struggling due to the way it is being played. I also believe that playing Melker Karlsson, who has 0 goals in his last ~55 games and is one of the NHL’s worst possession players, actually is a major issue.

Look, some of this stuff I agree with. I agree that a lot of the players are letting us down. I totally do. Vlasic, Jones, are right at the top of my **** list as well and I would trade them for future considerations today and drive them to the airport at 11:14 PM right now if I could.

But I also believe that the way that the team as a whole is playing is still much better than a 97 point pace and 2nd place in the NHL’s worst division. And I believe that a better head coach would be more flattering to Jones and Vlasic. And while some of DeBoer’s decisions can be explained, some absolutely can’t. And now we’re hearing word that Erik Karlsson may be unhappy with him.

I may be missing something here, but what is the scenario regarding EK65/PDB? What did he say? You have to assume if EK65 is complaining about PDB then that should make DW's decision a little easier. Doug obviously wants EK65 to re-sign here based on comments he made when EK65 was acquired.

EDIT: just read about it in the game thread

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As much as things feel doom and gloom right now, I genuinely do believe that DW will fire Peter DeBoer and hire Joel Quenneville, and I do believe that he will do it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
As much as things feel doom and gloom right now, I genuinely do believe that DW will fire Peter DeBoer and hire Joel Quenneville, and I do believe that he will do it sooner rather than later.

I get this feeling too. I also am more and more appreciating the long season and strength of the pacific. All things considered, we aren't in nearly as bad a position as we are acting. We could be Pitt!

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I have my fingers crossed that he does. I want to see this team reach its full potential really badly, and I can already see based on the shear amount of stupid decisions that DeBoer makes that it won't be w/ him at the helm. Please do the right thing, DW. :(

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
We really missed our chance to get some media attention about PDB's decision making when Toronto was in town. If only pavs had talked about PDB instead of Nylander....:speechles

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I'm not sure. Since years I'm waiting for Wilson to trade/buyout or at least demote DeBoer's favourite toy. It hasn't happened. Would Wilson be unhappy with what he sees then you'd like to think that he would have removed Karlsson from the team long ago. I just don't see Wilson firing DeBoer after years of watching Pete's Clownshow and doing zero about it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We really missed our chance to get some media attention about PDB's decision making when Toronto was in town. If only pavs had talked about PDB instead of Nylander....:speechles

They'll be in Toronto a week from now:laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeBoer’s shelf life has just about expired here. He’s the sixth longest tenured coach currently.

16 of 30 teams have made at least one coaching change since February of 2017. 20 of 30 teams have made at least one head coaching change since May of 2016.

I’m not counting Vegas as part of this since they made a coaching hire and never fired a coach.

Reactions: 5H4RK5

HeiHouHauki

Jul 22, 2018
I may be missing something here, but what is the scenario regarding EK65/PDB? What did he say? You have to assume if EK65 is complaining about PDB then that should make DW's decision a little easier. Doug obviously wants EK65 to re-sign here based on comments he made when EK65 was acquired.

EDIT: just read about it in the game thread

I couldn't find this could you or someone reply it what Karlsson has said about DeBoer.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Pull a Raiders and give Hedican a 10-year, $100 million contract

Boom, Stanley cup

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Anyone know Pete's contract status? I imagine he signed a 3-year deal in 2015? So he's now on a new contract perhaps?

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008

I wouldn't hold your breath. DW is historically very cautious with coaching changes and the team sits atop their division. Yes, I realize they have underperformed and the division has sucked but I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: CrypTic

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I wouldn't hold your breath. DW is historically very cautious with coaching changes and the team sits atop their division. Yes, I realize they have underperformed and the division has sucked but I wouldn't count on it.
While this is true, if the Sharks they had been playing well they should probably be about 6 points clear of anyone right now. They’ve had an easy schedule so far. Their place in the standings is a testament to their talent and the general inferiority of their opponents. They haven’t played well at all so far this year, and Deboer can’t have a long leash. Deboer can’t be allowed to put the franchise in a position to lose Karlsson.

Last edited:

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Jumbo for player/coach. Can’t tell me the guys wouldn’t love to play for him and he obviously understands the game!

I’m obviously kidding but would be neat to see. Was really hoping to check the news today and see that deboer and spott are canned and evicted

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
While this is true, the Sharks if they had been playing well they should probably be about 6 points clear of anyone right now. They’ve had an easy schedule so far. Their place in the standing section is a testament to their talent and the general inferiority of their opponents. They haven’t played well at all so far this year, and Deboer can’t have a long leash. Deboer can’t be allowed to put the franchise in a position to lose Karlsson.

I don't disagree with any of your points, but I just don't see it happening barring a significant losing streak or a stretch of 5-10 games where they fall flat on their face.

It's just not in Doug's DNA to make such a move.

One thing I am genuinely curious about is how the players would feel about it. In general, the guys seemed to love DeBoer his first couple seasons. I always thought this was due to how overly critical T-Mac was to the media with individuals and the team. DeBoer has generally speaking adopted a much more glass half-full approach. T-Mac was always the opposite and I think that rubbed the veteran guys the wrong way and got old quick.

The player's view of DeBoer obviously may have changed now that he's in his 4th season but I'd still be curious.

If you're going to make an in-season change in a season that is this imperative for the Sharks, you better be 100% sure it's going to be received well. I could see DW just viewing it as too big of a risk to take, basically doing a complete personality and system overhaul mid-season. Others of course would say riding it out with DeBoer is the risk but who knows what side of the aisle DW falls on. We'll find out sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad