Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, i I was kinda right on Kurz.

From the comments section of his most recent Athletic piece, responding to a question about the potential for a coaching change:

Red-hot Joe Pavelski not letting contract uncertainty throw... (PAYWALL)

No, a coaching change is most certainly not necessary. They've played 20 games. Keep in mind that the season they went to the Stanley Cup Final, they were 18-18-2. It's a looooong season. If these same problems still exist after 40 or 50 games, then maybe that's a valid question. But not right now.

So basically if we piss away half the season playing uninspired, flawed hockey then maybe it's time to do something. But Kurz'll be damned if we change course before we hit the metaphorical iceberg and start taking on equally-metaphorical water.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This happens after 20 minutes. Every game.
I was just thinking about how bad the team has played in the 2nd period of games. Is the long change exacerbating the flaws in the system? Is the team not sticking with what works? Are teams adjusting and Pete isn't?

We need answers soon. This win 1-2 lose 1-2 shit is getting old.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
My feeling on it is that if Quenville want's the job, it's his. If he hasn't fired Deboer yet it's because he's still talking to Quenville, or he doesn't want the job. I think for the amount of money Hasso is spending season to season, he's expecting results and Doug's likely getting a much shorter leash (especially with Karlsson not working out thus far, not that I'm worried about that). If you have world class, multiple cup winning coach who want's to coach your team, and your current coach isn't getting results after multiple seasons, you would be an idiot to not jump on it.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
My feeling on it is that if Quenville want's the job, it's his. If he hasn't fired Deboer yet it's because he's still talking to Quenville, or he doesn't want the job. I think for the amount of money Hasso is spending season to season, he's expecting results and Doug's likely getting a much shorter leash (especially with Karlsson not working out thus far, not that I'm worried about that). If you have world class, multiple cup winning coach who want's to coach your team, and your current coach isn't getting results after multiple seasons, you would be an idiot to not jump on it.
Yah mine too, its really just a matter of him wanting it. I think DeBoer still has good chances, but we don't have time for chances. WE need it this year, Q would be a well calculated gamble, especially if long term.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Reports from Chicago make it sound like Quenneville just wanted the GM over there to keep making the roster better, and he couldn’t promise that. That fits Doug Wilson to a tee though. I don’t even think our roster is done this year. Looking like we’ll have 5 and some change available in cap space at the TDL. I fully expect him to grab us another impact winger. Coach Q would love it here.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Well, i I was kinda right on Kurz.

From the comments section of his most recent Athletic piece, responding to a question about the potential for a coaching change:

Red-hot Joe Pavelski not letting contract uncertainty throw... (PAYWALL)

So basically if we piss away half the season playing uninspired, flawed hockey then maybe it's time to do something. But Kurz'll be damned if we change course before we hit the metaphorical iceberg and start taking on equally-metaphorical water.

Yeah seriously, I hate the "its a long season" excuse. Where is the cutoff point for it now being long enough to know that a system is failing. How big a hole do you need to be in before making that change, and how do you balance how much of a hole you are in, with how many games you have left to actually dig out of it. There are so many ways that waiting to make a change could lead to missing the playoffs.

I also really love how Deboer/the team is basically given a pass to suck for half the year, every year now, because so far he/the team have been able to right the ship for the 2nd half of each season and make the playoffs still. What happens when we don't, because we don't have a Hertl to put with the Joes, or a Kane to pick up at the TDL to help replace an injured Thornton, etc. Deboer should not be praised or let off the hook at all for the fact that he has consistently now had shit starts(based on how good the team should be) to the year every year. That is not a positive trend in any way at all, and these writers need to stop pretending it is.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
You either change coaches now or wait until next off season. Waiting until after Christmas is too late as it takes time to implement new systems

Reactions: Dicdonya

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Getting Q would be a dream when was the last time the sharks had a coach of that pedigree? Sutter?
Try the last coach before DeBoer. Greatest head coach in Sharks history, Todd McLellan.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ewww dude.
I've shattered my breast bone multiple times and have broken knuckles multiple times over from all the chest beating I've done over McLellan sucking the past few years and how much I forced the idea that he was a terrible coach when he was here. Never could stand that loser when he was here.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I've shattered my breast bone multiple times and have broken knuckles multiple times over from all the chest beating I've done over McLellan sucking the past few years and how much I forced the idea that he was a terrible coach when he was here. Never could stand that loser when he was here.
He was awful, and should have been fired after 3 years. That’s about the shelf life of a coach who doesn’t win a cup. Winning a cup should buy you 1-2 more seasons.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was awful, and should have been fired after 3 years. That’s about the shelf life of a coach who doesn’t win a cup. Winning a cup should buy you 1-2 more seasons.
I don't think you should necessarily be fired after 3 years if you don't win a cup, but that guy should have for sure. I think he should have never been hired in the first place. I would have never fired Ron Wilson if I was gonna just hire that loser.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
IDK I thought McLellan was okay

Stubborn is probably a better word. PDB is more willing to adapt as a series progresses. I don’t think either is “great”, I have liked PDB more than TMac though. I certainly wouldn’t switch from one to the other.

I would for Coach Q though.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Stubborn is probably a better word. PDB is more willing to adapt as a series progresses. I don’t think either is “great”, I have liked PDB more than TMac though. I certainly wouldn’t switch from one to the other.

I would for Coach Q though.
The best difference between Tmac and PDB was the change in the ability for the team to come back when down in a game. When a Tmac team gave up the lead it was over 95% of the time. When the PDB sharks give up a lead I always feel like they have a chance to come back and many times they do.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The only good thing PDB has done that I can see is bringing in Schlemko. The SCF appearance was in his first year where he didn't have the time to affect much change. Now that he's had the time, I don't like what I see.

I suspect that in order to hire Quenneville, DW probably has to solve the remaining contract with PDB. If they hire Quenneville without doing so, Hasso is going to be paying somewhere between $10 to $11m a year for both coaches. That is until PDB's contract runs out.

So, it's plausible that DW is working it hard and is not just trying to land Quenneville, but find another home for PDB. Sort of like a three-way trade. Since Edmonton and St. Louis fired coaches in the last few days, but didn't land Quenneville. I take that to mean the Sharks are in the running.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The best difference between Tmac and PDB was the change in the ability for the team to come back when down in a game. When a Tmac team gave up the lead it was over 95% of the time. When the PDB sharks give up a lead I always feel like they have a chance to come back and many times they do.

I attribute that change in trait, not to the change from TMac to PDB, but to Jones and a defense with better bottom pairing.

PDB has a high potent team on both sides of the blue line that he and Spott cannot figure out how to coach.

Last edited:

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
Quenneville is getting paid ~$12M over the next two years. I don't see him in any rush to coach right now, especially if it involves getting paid less than $6M a year. Will see how he feels come summer.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Quenneville is getting paid ~$12M over the next two years. I don't see him in any rush to coach right now, especially if it involves getting paid less than $6M a year. Will see how he feels come summer.

I don't agree with this. Generally coaches like to coach. Especially if he see's a team he thinks he can take to a cup right away. If he thinks the Sharks are a good coach away from a cup, he'd likely jump at the chance. Sure he's already won cups, but coaches are looking for legacy, the more cups the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad