Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Canada's world juniors roster: Corey Pronman projects the lineup

Pronman projected team Canadas WJC team. Mercer was one of the five "lock" forwards and was projected to first line with Dach and McMichael.

Greame Clarke was "on the bubble" but did not quite to the Pronmans team.

It will be fun to watch Devils prospects in WJC especially Mercer and Mukhamadullin. I have seen almost every Holtz game in SHL but its also fun to see how he is doing in WJC with Raymond.
Holtz should tear up this tournament to the tune of close to 2 PPG.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Kravtsov turns 21 in 3 weeks. He's obviously much younger than Zacha, but he's old enough that <0.5 ppg in the KHL should be alarming. Agree with Kakko but I included him to illustrate that the Rangers have 3 sequential early 1st round picks that have not performed well yet.
The irony of the Rangers’ much heralded rebuild (ThEy SeNt A LeTtEr!) is how lucky they are they won the 2OA, got gifted Adam Fox (who’s unfortunately fantastic), signed Panarin and are great at drafting goalies because having two 1st rounders dramatically flee Hartford for their homeland at the same time is the sort of setback that would normally freakout and morbidly obsess any fanbase of a rebuilding team.

Andersson is brutal, they had enough assets to get a team to trade them a top ten pick and they ended up turning the 7th pick of the 2017 draft into 60th pick in the 2020 draft. Not much to say there except they’re lucky Lias’ dad works for the Kings and likely talked him up.

Kravtsov has been a mess, they probably should have left him in the KHL for another year. He scored a ton of goals at the start of this season in September, then was out for most of October and has been stone cold since. I don’t know if he was out due an injury or COVID. He’s on a bad KHL team so he plays a ton but when Sergei Kalinin (yep!) is tied for the most goals on your team with 9 then there’s likely not much offense to work with. Whether he’s a late bloomer or bust he’s certainly underperforming right now.

Part of a rebuild, and something we didn’t actually have until this last draft, is using extra early picks so you can overcome the disappointments. In 2017 the more promising Chytil was taken in the 1st with Andersson and in 2018 they also drafted their top two defensive prospects along with the enigmatic Russian in the first round (and used our 2nd to get Miller no less). That stupid team ended up with eight 1st round picks in four years, it will take a few more years to see what it gets them.

Last edited:

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Hard not to be bias'd as a Devil's fan but there isn't much in the Rangers prospect pool that excites me. I don't think Kravtsov will ever live up to the way the Rangers talked him up although I do think he will be a meh 3rd line winger or equivalent. Andersson is just full on garbage. I cannot believe the Kings gave up a draft pick for him. Nils Lundqvist.... the only player ive seen hyped more than him may be Shesterkin, who played on SKA in Russia where every single goalie ive seen has amazing stats. . Lundqvist has very impressive stats as a young player in the SHL.... just like Tim Erixon did. Kakko looked amazingly bad and his problems seem to be processing the game which im not sure he is going to be able to improve as easily (hopefully) as Jack will be able to improve his issues (physicality, shot etc).

Lafreniere looks great, but before Jack's disappointing first season I think they were pretty even projection wise. I would not trade the devils under 22 players for the rangers and its a easy decision.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hard not to be bias'd as a Devil's fan but there isn't much in the Rangers prospect pool that excites me. I don't think Kravtsov will ever live up to the way the Rangers talked him up although I do think he will be a meh 3rd line winger or equivalent. Andersson is just full on garbage. I cannot believe the Kings gave up a draft pick for him. Nils Lundqvist.... the only player ive seen hyped more than him may be Shesterkin, who played on SKA in Russia where every single goalie ive seen has amazing stats. . Lundqvist has very impressive stats as a young player in the SHL.... just like Tim Erixon did. Kakko looked amazingly bad and his problems seem to be processing the game which im not sure he is going to be able to improve as easily (hopefully) as Jack will be able to improve his issues (physicality, shot etc).

Lafreniere looks great, but before Jack's disappointing first season I think they were pretty even projection wise. I would not trade the devils under 22 players for the rangers and its a easy decision.

In fairness, Kakko looked like a different player in the play in round. Small sample size...but he had played a lot of games in 19/20, so resting and resetting was probably good for him. Jack played a lot of games too, hopefully the extended rest and (please) added bulk will do wonders.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought he had a great tournament and did not play enough compared with how effective he actually was on the ice. He certainly out shined people on Canada who played far more minutes than he did.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Will be really interesting to see what happens next. Won't he be eligible to play in the AHL if the CHL doesn't get back up and running (and the agreement is worked out between the leagues)?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Will be really interesting to see what happens next. Won't he be eligible to play in the AHL if the CHL doesn't get back up and running (and the agreement is worked out between the leagues)?
Last I heard, Chicoutimi was planning to play their season, but obviously it depends on whether the entire league gets shut down or not.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm going to use this thread to say that, in my next Devils prospect ranking, Dawson Mercer is #1.
RZwnUEybXJY.jpg

vgif-ru-21869.gif

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
For now , is the CHL the only place Mercer is eligible to play?
I’d like to get him one game in the NHL to give him a taste . Then have him play in whatever the most competitive league available is.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
For now , is the CHL the only place Mercer is eligible to play?
I’d like to get him one game in the NHL to give him a taste . Then have him play in whatever the most competitive league available is.

He's fine in the CHL, it's not like he was dominating it anyway, hopefully he can get ~ 1.5-2 ppg and have a good camp in the fall.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
10 points in 9 games, not a good season to date with Chicoutimi, shots/game is also down. Outside Mukhamadullin it has been a poor year offensively for our prospects.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
10 points in 9 games, not a good season to date with Chicoutimi, shots/game is also down. Outside Mukhamadullin it has been a poor year offensively for our prospects.
It was five games before the WJC and it’s been four since. I also wish he wasn’t traded last January to a weirdo team that plays on Olympic-sized home ice. I’ll also add that his team has 44 Goals For, which is 14th in QMJHL. (At least they’re 2nd in Goals Against in the league with 37.)

That said, he’s third with points per game on his team and we would all hope for more.

LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad