Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The eighth overall pick of the 2017 QMJHL Draft, Dawson Mercer came out of the gates on fire for the Drummondville Voltigeurs. He put up 18 goals and 24 assists for 42 points in 26 games. He also played a leadership role for the team, serving as an alternate captain. With the Voltigeurs struggling his early results also made him a trade deadline target for the top teams in the QMJHL. He was moved to the Chicoutimi Sagueneens at the QMJHL Trade Deadline. Mercer put up six goals and 12 assists for 18 points in 16 games with his new team. Last season, Mercer put up 30 goals and 34 assists for 64 points in 68 games. He also added five goals and 11 assists for 16 points in 16 playoff games.

Mercer’s early-season scoring binge also helped him to earn a spot on Team Canada for the World Juniors. While he did not record a point in seven games, he played a bottom-line role and helped the team win a gold medal. Mercer scored two goals in five games playing for Team Canada Black at the 2017 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and an assist in two games during the CHL/Russia Super-Series.

Dawson Mercer Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #14

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Are we going to develop this kid at C or RW? Article dated two days ago with him wanting to be the next Bergeron.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It's...okay. I wasn't his biggest fan, but this is where I had him ranked. But I had other guys that i much rather would have gambled on. Still, makes sense. I don't love it, but it's like a solid B for me.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Not super sold on the upside but good value there. And he plays the game the right way. Hopefully he can develop his skating and offense so he can be a staple in our top 6

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Are we going to develop this kid at C or RW? Article dated two days ago with him wanting to be the next Bergeron.
I think they'll take their time. Maybe Zacha doesn't improve under the new coaching staff and Mercer will be 3C behind Hughes and Hischier. Maybe the team feels he's better off on one of their wings

Reactions: MichaelJ

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Too bad 18 and 20 were so on top of each other, this kid would have had more of a thread if it weren't for what happened at 20 lol

Reactions: Alex NJD

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Love this pick he would be a top 12 pick in most drafts. Holtz was exactly the type player we needed to draft to play with Hughes on the PP. He'll be scoring a lot of goals set up by Hughes.bsldo think he's only one more development year from playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad