Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just throwing one out there but, what are the odds we see Mercer in NJ next year?

Given the October b-day I'd say it's safe to assume he won't be in juniors.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I just can't get over the fact that they're a cap team with that roster. Good god.
add the removed draft picks and the fiasco of the mitchell miller pick. probably 95% of the yotes fans would trade their situation for ottawa's. just imagine: a 95% yes to melnyk as the owner. :loony:

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
I really like this pick a lot and think it makes up for our bit of a reach in Mukhamadullin (who I also like).

I think Mercer can end up a top-6 playmaking winger if he doesn’t stick to center. If he does, then a 50+ Potential 3rd C is huge to have in the playoffs when one of the bigger lines is stopped

Also the kids hands are super high level. Love watching that style play

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Canada's world juniors roster: Corey Pronman projects the lineup

Pronman projected team Canadas WJC team. Mercer was one of the five "lock" forwards and was projected to first line with Dach and McMichael.

Greame Clarke was "on the bubble" but did not quite to the Pronmans team.

It will be fun to watch Devils prospects in WJC especially Mercer and Mukhamadullin. I have seen almost every Holtz game in SHL but its also fun to see how he is doing in WJC with Raymond.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's hard to draft legit top line players but if he can atleast be a 2nd line player (45-65 points) than it's a good pick. Not sure what position he will stick at. Would be nice if we have him as a RW.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's hard to draft legit top line players but if he can atleast be a 2nd line player (45-65 points) than it's a good pick. Not sure what position he will stick at. Would be nice if we have him as a RW.

I watched enough of his video to convince me that he and Nico would be a matchup nightmare for other teams when both are in their primes. Two hardworking physically capable 200 foot type guys. Imagine two Bergeron-lites on one line. It's a projection but not a crazy one.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Id honestly prefer if Mercer keeps on playing RW primarily and C if really needed. Having a full top 6 with actual top 6 players playing their positions would be a lot more beneficial to me.
Isnt C his natural position? In a couple years could see a top 9 of:

Bratt- Hischier- Holtz
Foote- Hughes- Palmieri/ Gusev
Koukkanen- Mercer- Bastian

That's pretty damn good. That 3rd line has shutdown potential.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I am hoping Mercer becomes the middle 6 center replacement for Zajac that we hoped Zacha or McLeod could be but aren't shaping up to be.

I don’t want to be that guy but I will. Zacha was suppose to be 1c not 2c. Mikey was suppose to be 2c-3c

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zacha is a blown pick, but he is currently much better than

Lias Andersson (7 OA 2017)
Vitali Kravtsov (8 OA 2018)
Kaapo Kakko (2 OA 2019)

So maybe we can over it some time.

Really not fair to compare guys 3 and 4 years younger than him. I never thought either Zacha or Andersson would be anything that good.

I don’t want to be that guy but I will. Zacha was suppose to be 1c not 2c. Mikey was suppose to be 2c-3c

He never should've been expected to be that. If you can't even produce PPG in the CHL in your draft year then you likely won't be a top line player. I always thought it was unreasonable to have Zacha pegged as anything more than a 2C

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Really not fair to compare guys 3 and 4 years younger than him. I never thought either Zacha or Andersson would be anything that good.

Kravtsov turns 21 in 3 weeks. He's obviously much younger than Zacha, but he's old enough that <0.5 ppg in the KHL should be alarming. Agree with Kakko but I included him to illustrate that the Rangers have 3 sequential early 1st round picks that have not performed well yet.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

You aren’t wrong but at this point just try to remember that Palms was acquired with picks from the Zacha draft and MBW was picked in that draft. And Bratt was picked in the McLeod draft. It’s not perfect and both represent missed opportunities but on balance the team has seemingly drafted well since 2016. It’s only this past draft they had more than one first round pick and even some second rounders were traded away.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And now they don't have to be...

3480-DB4-F-5-B81-4862-AF1-A-4-BE00-F333-E9-F.jpg

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Kravtsov turns 21 in 3 weeks. He's obviously much younger than Zacha, but he's old enough that <0.5 ppg in the KHL should be alarming. Agree with Kakko but I included him to illustrate that the Rangers have 3 sequential early 1st round picks that have not performed well yet.

By the way everyone talks about him, I thought Kravtsov was lighting up the KHL... lol .5ppg over there won't really translate well to the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad