Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Go look up quotes from former players that are in the NHL now who played under him.

Can't remember which player said it but I do remember him saying he "taught me how to play defense". Forgot which NHL Dman it was. Hopefully someone can help me with it.

So one player?

Not being snarky like some other kids in here but anything else to go on?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, I hear you.
I certainly don't want to see anything passive.

I feel that the system doesn't really need to be over complicated as hard work usually dictates the outcome of games.

In my mind, we need a hybrid system so instead of explaining the whole thing from a cell phone lol,
figure..If you could mish mash AV, Torts and Hitchcock all together and form a system..

The latter especially likes to play in tight groups of 5.
Tight short passing and heavy pressure in the blue.
Crash the net.

On D
Stand up and kill a play on the NZ
Block shots and lanes.
Clear the crease at all costs.

It's really all just playoff hockey with an attitude..

2 of these 3 things are not preached by guys like Babcock and Quenville.

But what do they know.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m not really sure what Quinn is going to be as coach. I’m definitely not unhappy with the hire. I think this is a guy that’s paid his dues to get to this league. And whatever he did and however he wanted his teams to play, I don’t think any of us will have a real handle on him until late-September at the very earliest.

I have a friend who hates this phrase, so I use it as much as possible. I said all that to say this:

Whatever Quinn is, it’s hard to deny that we’re in a fascinating period of time for the organization. We’re going to be seeing a whole slew of new players and they’re going to be playing for a new coach. After the years of excitement AND disappointment and especially the last few of really just disappointment, this is a breath of fresh air. It’s exciting. For all the griping-without-cause going on in these threads, I think we should all step back and savor that a little.

Reactions: haveandare

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
It's money, you always ask for more money. If someone offers you 10 bucks you ask for 20 and meet in the middle.
Is this typical for coaches making the jump to the NHL though? This money has to be life changing for him. It just makes it look like he wasn't interested to me until the extra money convinced him otherwise.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Is this typical for coaches making the jump to the NHL though? This money has to be life changing for him. It just makes it look like he wasn't interested to me until the extra money convinced him otherwise.

That irrelevant, if they are interviewing him then they feel he is capable of the job and should be paid somewhere in the ballpark of an NHL coach. Specifically, they are looking for a skill set that includes developing younger players which in theory he has. His salary is fairly close to what the Flyers dude got, nothing wrong with negotiating a few extra dollars.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Every single Rangers coach has done this when they offered them a job, with the probable exception of Trottier. This is just the only one where it’s been public.

It (appears to be) more than just leveraging money.

A lot of time had passed since Quinn's interest session, Round 1. More than a week? That's not a situation of playing hard to get, that's being comfortable with saying no. For all intents and purposes, another candidate could have risen to the forefront. Quinn likely passed up compensation totaling 3x $$$ his BU money the first time around. That doesn't seem too eager for the opportunity.

Fast forward 10 days later, Montgomery is off to Dallas. Lets say the Rangers kick it up from 1.6 to 2.4M annually. Now he's game? Yeah, the motivation concerns me a bit on that scenario. Granted, it may not be a perfectly accurate scenario, but it's surprising he felt comfortable staying away the first time around.

I suppose the worry is - He may not have really wanted it the first time around. If he did, the negotiation wouldn't have occurred 7-14 days later.

When things get tough in Year 2, what keeps him from returning to BU?

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People seem to be taking this whole money thing way too seriously haha

He was offered 2x4 sometime in the past week and a half. Maybe he initially said no because he wanted longer term for job security.

The Rangers came back and offered 2.4x5 to get it done

The only person that knows is him. He clearly still had interest because he never took himself out of the running

Buccigross or however you spell his name’s tweet about the “money being too good to turn down” doesn’t help with the baseless speculation

Reactions: TheTakedown

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
When things get tough in Year 2 said:
Well, there would be the small matter of his successor at BU. Think he'd just walk away.

Beyond the additional money, Quinn got the Rangers to make it a five-year deal, affirming that management will be patient during the rebuilding.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He is paid about league average. though tbf we do not know the $ for many coaches in the league but I'd bet decent money guys like Torts, Gallant, Maurice, Carlyle, and Peters are all being paid more then Quinn is. Also, who cares it's not like it affects salary cap or anything, are we really going to weep tears over Dolan writing a check out of his deep pockets to Quinn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad