Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’m calling him Doctor Quinn, for what that’s worth.

The advanced stats guy:
Horace.jpg

;)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He is paid about league average. though tbf we do not know the $ for many coaches in the league but I'd bet decent money guys like Torts, Gallant, Maurice, Carlyle, and Peters are all being paid more then Quinn is. Also, who cares it's not like it affects salary cap or anything, are we really going to weep tears over Dolan writing a check out of his deep pockets to Quinn?

I didn't even know CF had that on their website. Interesting! Although, I wouldn't even be bothered if he was paid 10m a year to coach the Rangers. It doesn't affect the cap.

Reactions: Rangers743

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Quinn should be night and day in terms of developing talent. AV was completely useless in that regard, just listen to some of what Buch said after the season:

“The combinations changed daily, sometimes it seemed to me that they were created in a random way, as the cards from the deck get out.”

“Yes, he did not talk to the players. Something to me at the meetings talked about the “fight for the puck,” but that’s it. Once I was on the (roster), although I did not understand the reason. There was a strange moment. If the team (was losing), then in the third period I played a lot. And if (we were winning), then all the time I sat on the bench.”

Buchnevich tells Russian paper Vigneault hurt his confidence - FOREVER BLUESHIRTS

That is total bullshit.

Reactions: haveandare

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Some fans will find fault with the coaching decisions and think he's a failure before the next season is over, unless they are a contender. By the 2nd season, those numbers will grow quickly.

Happens with every coach that doesn't inspire the belief that the team is on the cusp of Stanley Cup success.

The difference between coaches is for the most part, negligible. The exceptions are the total incompetents, and I am not sure there currently are any in the NHL. The two best examples in my Rangers lifetime are Trottier and Espo, two that didn't have a clue.

Players can tune out good coaches after a few seasons, no matter who the coach is.

That fans believe they have an accurate method of judging a coach has always amazed me.

Just like real estate is about location, location, location, a team's success is about personnel, personnel, personnel.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think his hiring makes sense, with the number of still relatively young players from the Boston area and the number of young players from the United States and the number of young players from European nations and the number of young players from Russia.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Wanted them to re-sign AV. Wanted to be the ONLY one that said they "really don't like it". I rarely get what I want, so by doing this, It'll act as a reverse jinx.

Now seriously, wondering if he will be around here for very long. When will the plug be pulled if this team doesn't make strides in a year or 2? How much accountability will he be susceptible to, or will he simply get a pass for years on end?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Wanted them to re-sign AV. Wanted to be the ONLY one that said they "really don't like it". I rarely get what I want, so by doing this, It'll act as a reverse jinx.

Now seriously, wondering if he will be around here for very long. When will the plug be pulled if this team doesn't make strides in a year or 2? How much accountability will he be susceptible to, or will he simply get a pass for years on end?
Why would Gorton give him a pass for years if he holds back Gortons rebuild?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

To be honest, your concerns are concerns having to do with any coach. So, best to not worry about it until the season starts and we see what happens.

Reactions: haveandare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Quick, someone come up with a catchy name for Quinn's new coach's show on MSG, where he talks to Bill Pidto in a track suit and sandals with socks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Quick, someone come up with a catchy name for Quinn's new coach's show on MSG, where he talks to Bill Pidto in a track suit and sandals with socks.
The reddit thread about this had a few dozen options, some almost cringy enough to be candidates.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
happy he's a young guy. heres a my 2 cents.

get better players and make the good players we have play better.

stop coming out of the locker room asleep.

play some defense.

that is all.
Lol all of this. All of this were things AV could not accomplish and get out of his team. They did not play for him.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Lol all of this. All of this were things AV could not accomplish and get out of his team. They did not play for him.

I am not a fan of AV, or any other coach, but to say they didn't play for him is utter rubbish. You don't get to the playoffs, let alone the Finals, if the players are not trying, unless you believe that the Rangers were miles better than any other NHL team, and no one, including you believes that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Coaches have their time. Teams usually have their time too. You can't be on top forever and FWIW apart from not winning the Cup the Rangers have had a very good run post lockout.

I didn't really get the idea that Vigneault had some kind of sinister agenda. He gave ice time to the players he trusted more to get certain results. He's been a good coach for a lengthy period of time. Notice I said good--I didn't say great. He's had moments his teams have approached greatness though. So......there is that. Is he the right coach for our team now? No. Was he the right coach this past season? No. Is he a terrible person? No. Will he probably get another NHL coaching gig? Yes. Will he have at least some success with his new team? Probably. I'll reiterate I didn't like his defensive system pretty much from day 1 but he made it work for a while--it played to the weaknesses of certain of our players and other teams eventually figured out how to negate the positives of the Rangers quick strike attack and AV either didn't have a plan B or refused to adapt one. Stubborn? I would guess--or quite probably. Coupled with the seasonal roster subtractions to keep on the right side of the salary cap and eventually we were going to fall and AV didn't have any answers for that when it happened. It was past his time to go when he finally did get fired---so see you later and enter the mighty Quinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad