Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not AV > AV

However, in true HFNYR fashion, I must overreact now.

OH MY f***ING GOD WHY ISN'T IT KEEFE!
THIS GUY DIDN'T DO ENOUGH WITH THE TALENT HE HAD AT BU!
NCAA COACHES GENERALLY DON'T HAVE SUCCESS MAKING DIRECT JUMP TO THE NHL!
BOSTON!? GROSS!
REBUILD!? MORE LIKE DISASTER!
IF HE REALLY WANTED TO COACH HERE, HE'D PAY NYR FOR THE PLEASURE! (hat tip, @EpicDing )

/thread

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Not AV > AV

OH MY ****ING GOD WHY ISN'T IT KEEFE!
BOSTON!? GROSS!

/thread

You forgot the salary

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not AV > AV

OH MY ****ING GOD WHY ISN'T IT KEEFE!
BOSTON!? GROSS!
IF HE REALLY WANTED TO COACH HERE, HE'D PAY NYR FOR THE PLEASURE! (hat tip, @EpicDing )

/thread

I think the narrative actually becomes "He was hired to be a developmental coach, why did prospect X fail under him. What good is he if our prospects aren't panning out".

In the meantime, I am happy we got him. We needed a new direction and he is certainly it. Pretty cool for him that he gets to be a head coach in the organization that gave him his first and only professional contract.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I think the narrative actually becomes "He was hired to be a developmental coach, why did prospect X fail under him. What good is he if our prospects aren't panning out".

In the meantime, I am happy we got him. We needed a new direction and he is certainly it. Pretty cool for him that he gets to be a head coach in the organization that gave him his first and only professional contract.

i can not wait for someone to use this, because the second one of our young players doesnt progress people will say exactly this

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I don't know anything about him. I hope he doesn't juggle lines every 3 minutes like AV or puts out Staal or some other scrub when you're down a goal and trying to tie it within 2 minutes left. I also hope he doesn't bench players for 55 minutes after an error in the opening minutes like Torts and then everyone is gassed by the third period.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I like what I read about him. Profile matches what Gorton described as his vision for HC to move forward and continue to develop with the team.

Best of luck and hopefully he survives (and therefore succeeds) throughout the whole contract so that he's not just a coach to develop the team into a contender but also the one to lead it to SC heaven!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Keefe could be seen as a victim of his own success. We couldn't wait around forever or him and have a week or so to interview and then negotiate with him if he passed muster before July free agency. Wait too long and you're scrambling. The Rangers have a comfort level with Quinn besides and he doesn't have the baggage that Keefe has.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that Quinn & Montgomery were 1 & 1a to Gorton. I believe that he wanted a fresh face coach and was looking at the college ranks. One that will (hopefully) grow with the team and be someone that can lead the younger players.

Reactions: egelband

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I want him to be able to coach the team DURING a game. Adapt to the opposition, be active when you see your players struggling.
Here's my take on this....I think a lot of in game coaching is literally just...playing the guys who are playing well and sitting the guys who aren't..or at least adjusting the minutes as necessary

In game systems changes and the like are really hard to do...you need to have a lot of preparation before hand to set your game plan up...and then what...you suddenly change things up? Go from a 2 1 2 to a 1 3 1 at the drop of a hat? I think that's about preparation and having multiple systems in place depending on the opposition
There is no one size fits all system to hockey.

I've never put in a ton of stock into ppl criticizing avs in game coaching....I think that's hard.

My issue is with his system and his deploydent of icetime. If the system isn't working you can't just change it mis game unless you've worked on it in practice.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm thrilled it's not a regurgetated head coach. Period. Honestly don't know much about him, has he ever coached ANY of our current players? Thanks in advance. Too lazy to search asnim sure there are many that have that info in their current memory as I pretty much don't have one anymore.

I'm lucky if I can remember what color George Washington's white horse was.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm thrilled it's not a regurgetated head coach. Period. Honestly don't know much about him, has he ever coached ANY of our current players? Thanks in advance. Too lazy to search asnim sure there are many that have that info in their current memory as I pretty much don't have one anymore.

I'm lucky if I can remember what color George Washington's white horse was.
Shattenkirk for sure...

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Could we add a poll for people's reactions to the signing?
  • Very displeased
  • Somewhat displeased
  • Neutral / too soon to tell
  • Somewhat pleased
  • Very pleased
It seems a more effective way to gauge people's reactions than is combing through countless pages of posts (though the analyses / responses are often illuminating if not amusing).

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Here's my take on this....I think a lot of in game coaching is literally just...playing the guys who are playing well and sitting the guys who aren't..or at least adjusting the minutes as necessary

In game systems changes and the like are really hard to do...you need to have a lot of preparation before hand to set your game plan up...and then what...you suddenly change things up? Go from a 2 1 2 to a 1 3 1 at the drop of a hat? I think that's about preparation and having multiple systems in place depending on the opposition
There is no one size fits all system to hockey.

I've never put in a ton of stock into ppl criticizing avs in game coaching....I think that's hard.

My issue is with his system and his deploydent of icetime. If the system isn't working you can't just change it mis game unless you've worked on it in practice.

I totally agree and you kind of answer yourself a lot.

Preparing the team to roll certain strategies, depending on the opposition, it takes a lot, but a great coaching staff will do that. AV's system looked like a monolith for years. Always seemed stubborn, hated that.

His constant line-shuffling and mismanaging of the ice-time of certain players comes on top of that.

The new coach is a tabula rasa to me. He's from the Boston colleague. As a foreign hockey fan it still gives me some confidence, that program is serious, is it not?
As long as he doesn't make AV's faults, I'm fine.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Every fanbase thinks their coach either
a) shuffles the lines too much/throws together random lines
b) doesn't adjust enough when a line isn't working.

If people thought AV put together random pairings and lines, they were forgetting the Tortorella days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad