Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Every fanbase thinks their coach either
a) shuffles the lines too much/throws together random lines
b) doesn't adjust enough when a line isn't working.

If people thought AV put together random pairings and lines, they were forgetting the Tortorella days.
I think that's why it was bad for us. "Not this again" type of thing.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
it's really annoying when certain mods here close previous threads in a split second because of a new development

it sucks for the user experience around here

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The personnel that AV had to work with at the beginning of his tenure progressively got worse from season to season as that tenure continued. The team had to dump important players year after year to keep on the right side of the cap. That's a negative that comes naturally to most teams having sustained success. They have to pay their players more and they can't hold everything together. IMO AV didn't adjust or adapt very well--sometimes not at all to changes that had to be made. Sometimes it was almost like he didn't even notice them. Eventually it turned into the debacle we saw this year.

FWIW I liked AV's personality but I never cared for his man on man defensive system. He made it work for a year and part of another but IMO it played to the weaknesses of Girardi, Staal and Klein---even made those weaknesses stand out front and center. As far as ice time there are guys who might be less talented than others but are going to get more ice time because they can be used in all situations. To me arguments over player's ice time can be tricky and a skilled offensive player who has defensive issues when the other team has the puck his minutes have to be managed and he has to be placed with players who can cover up for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Here's my take on this....I think a lot of in game coaching is literally just...playing the guys who are playing well and sitting the guys who aren't..or at least adjusting the minutes as necessary

In game systems changes and the like are really hard to do...you need to have a lot of preparation before hand to set your game plan up...and then what...you suddenly change things up? Go from a 2 1 2 to a 1 3 1 at the drop of a hat? I think that's about preparation and having multiple systems in place depending on the opposition
There is no one size fits all system to hockey.

I've never put in a ton of stock into ppl criticizing avs in game coaching....I think that's hard.

My issue is with his system and his deploydent of icetime. If the system isn't working you can't just change it mis game unless you've worked on it in practice.

I'm not super smart hockey tactician guy but I think there's some amount of adjusting that goes on if you see your opponent doing something in particular and having success with it, or if you are trying to do something and they are preventing it. Then maybe you modify your gameplan a bit...it's not like you can completely switch systems in the middle of a game but identifying what's working and what's not for both teams and then trying to address that is probably a good start.

And I think AV *tried* to do that at times, but too often there was a lot of "just hold the course steady and keep working" that didn't...uh...work.

As for deployment and icetime...again, it's funny, I feel like the first couple of years AV did hit on something and that was with a team that had a lot of depth but no real superstar top heavy lines, he rolled them pretty evenly with a bit of a lean towards whatever line was playing well. But the Rangers basically had 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that chipped in and at least generated pressure. But towards the end it seemed like it was basically "spend most of your shift trying to get the puck back, then dump it and change and hope that the next line could get a turnover and get a counter attack chance" which ultimately was pretty blah.

One thing I'll be curious about with Quinn is how he treats Russian players. I really do think there is a bias against those guys from some coaches and I think AV had some bias towards Buchnevich that went behind wanting him to play better. I mean, I admit I'm reaching here, but I think some of the culture differences makes it a bit harder for those players and coaches to work as easily together as it is for a north american player and coach.

Part of my evaluation of Quinn will probably hinge on how well he seems to develop Buchnevich...the guy has a lot of talent and he didn't seem to get much coaching up from AV and seemed lost about where to go. Let's see Quinn help him reach his potential.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
FWIW I liked AV's personality but I never cared for his man on man defensive system. He made it work for a year and part of another but IMO it played to the weaknesses of Girardi, Staal and Klein---even made those weaknesses stand out front and center.

To be honest I think the only guy who could play AV's system well was McDonagh. Maybe Stralman, but then AV and company ditched him.

And it wasn't just the D that suffered...the forwards struggled to play it consistently well too. But...oh well! Time to move on hopefully

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's good with player development, but not as good at getting results.

Some say his teams don't really have a plan, and are easily game planned for.

I don't think this is a bad hire, but I'm also not expecting him to be with the team for more than 2-3 seasons. He can take the team through a rebuild, and then we'll bring in a top-level coach to lead this team back to the playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The personnel that AV had to work with at the beginning of his tenure progressively got worse from season to season as that tenure continued. The team had to dump important players year after year to keep on the right side of the cap. That's a negative that comes naturally to most teams having sustained success. They have to pay their players more and they can't hold everything together. IMO AV didn't adjust or adapt very well--sometimes not at all to changes that had to be made. Sometimes it was almost like he didn't even notice them. Eventually it turned into the debacle we saw this year.

FWIW I liked AV's personality but I never cared for his man on man defensive system. He made it work for a year and part of another but IMO it played to the weaknesses of Girardi, Staal and Klein---even made those weaknesses stand out front and center. As far as ice time there are guys who might be less talented than others but are going to get more ice time because they can be used in all situations. To me arguments over player's ice time can be tricky and a skilled offensive player who has defensive issues when the other team has the puck his minutes have to be managed and he has to be placed with players who can cover up for him.

This is a fair assessment of AV's tenure, which is often tough to come by around here. One thing AV's tenure here proved is theres a large swath of the fanbase who won't credit a coach for a team's success, but will pin nearly everything on the coach when things go south.

We'll see what happens by September, but I hope Quinn is given some leeway, because this roster stinks as it is currently constructed and it's going to be a long road back.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
General feel good about the hiring. No nothing about him except what has been written but his game philosophy seems right and he is a hands-on approach will be a welcome approach. Seems to be interested in developing and deploys to player strengths.
Glad an NHL retread was not hired!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
looks and sounds like Mike Sullyvan

Maybe it's just me, but I think he kinda looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

th

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I don't think this is a bad hire, but I'm also not expecting him to be with the team for more than 2-3 seasons. He can take the team through a rebuild, and then we'll bring in a top-level coach to lead this team back to the playoffs.
Not a very confidence building description.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Here's my take on this....I think a lot of in game coaching is literally just...playing the guys who are playing well and sitting the guys who aren't..or at least adjusting the minutes as necessary

In game systems changes and the like are really hard to do...you need to have a lot of preparation before hand to set your game plan up...and then what...you suddenly change things up? Go from a 2 1 2 to a 1 3 1 at the drop of a hat? I think that's about preparation and having multiple systems in place depending on the opposition
There is no one size fits all system to hockey.

I've never put in a ton of stock into ppl criticizing avs in game coaching....I think that's hard.

My issue is with his system and his deploydent of icetime. If the system isn't working you can't just change it mis game unless you've worked on it in practice.

I don't really disagree with you, but it was obvious during AV's tenure that he had no answer for the neutral zone trap and when teams chose to take away the stretch pass. That's his fault for implementing a game plan with zero counter to the simplest and easiest ways to defeat his system.

Also, his refusal to lean on his best players was enraging at times. It's more than a little frustrating seeing the other team's top D and F units every other shift down the stretch while we trot out Staal and Glass. Down a goal with 5 minutes, and we're seeing what essentially amounts to wasted shifts with guys who have no realistic chance to score. All the good teams in the league shorten their benches at the end of games. Why we couldn't, especially when AV put so much emphasis on conditioning during training camp, was inexplicable.

Reactions: Inferno

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I mean if championships are everything, then sure.

I don't know how much you can hold against him for not winning it all in a single elimination tournament. The one time his team made the final, the goalie crapped the bed.

Even if he is only here to develop guys, as long as he does that and sets the ground work for the next guy to step in and get the job done, He will have done his job and this hire will have been a success.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
So what system does Quinn coach?
I know nothing about him
I've never watched college hockey
Is he more defensive or offensive?
Does he like to clog the neutral zone or does he like to aggressively forecheck?
Or is he adaptive depending on what talent he has and the talent his teams are playing against?

Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean if championships are everything, then sure.

I don't know how much you can hold against him for not winning it all in a single elimination tournament. The one time his team made the final, the goalie crapped the bed.

Even if he is only here to develop guys, as long as he does that and sets the ground work for the next guy to step in and get the job done, He will have done his job and this hire will have been a success.

Yeah, I agree, which is why Championships aren't everything when evaluating head coach candidates. I'm just saying thats the knock. He hasn't won as much in the NCAA as he probably should've.

As of now, I'd be okay with him being the coach who takes the team through the rebuild. We shouldn't be under the illusion that he's going to be here for 10 years and lead us to multiple Stanley Cups. Our last two coaches who are highly regarded around the NHL were here for 10 years total, and won no Cups. 2-3 years of Quinn developing our younger players before we hire a real top-level coach in a few years is my current expectation. If he does great, keep him on when the team is ready to contend.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm hoping he runs a better system with the d-zone coverage. I know teams zeroed in on the gaps in AV's system, and knew how to create those gaps, and where the defense would release in front the net and molested the goalies with slot shot after slot shot.

If Quinn can correct that by the end of September, get some consistent efforts from the "TOP 6" and Gorts gets some depth throughout the line-up... you're looking at a team that will contend for a wild card spot.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I like it, anything but AV or another failed retread. If he doesn't work out so be it, but I'm excited to see how he does.

Bern the first time Kreider goes through a slump under Quinn: "Quinn is messing with Kreider, too many frickin line changes, Kreider would have 40 goals and 90 points if not for Quinn." :sarcasm:

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Oh man this guys gonna have killer chemistry with Hayes, Vesey and Kreider.

I think that's right. Gut feeling it extends to Skjei / all the college-system guys as well.

On the flip side, what criteria did not fit with Quinn in the past? What does this mean for Buchnevich long term? Or impending RFA's like Spooner or Namestnikov? Do we see Farabee jump to #9 now?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think that's right. Gut feeling it extends to Skjei / all the college-system guys as well.

On the flip side, what criteria did not fit with Quinn in the past? What does this mean for Buchnevich long term? Or impending RFA's like Spooner or Namestnikov? Do we see Farabee jump to #9 now?

Haha my post was more intended as a joke, poking fun at the “they’re both from Boston so they’re a natural fit as line mates!” crowd. But I agree, I’m sure he’ll mesh well with the college guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad