Player Discussion David Backes VI

Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Cap casualty = he can't play. Whether he is liked or not, it does not matter.

Anybody want to trade Rask for Khudobin ($2.5 mil). That is what it is, you have no choice.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They can survive Backes

LTIR Moore

LTIR Miller if need be but Moore alone does it

I can’t see more than $9 M for the both

I would think 3 years at $5ish makes sense

I’d take it if him and if he’s my client I recommend he takes it

Carlo 3.5ish on a 3 year deal is also a fair amount.

An aside

Any Bruins do what Marner is doing I would ‘sports hate’ the player

The Leafs are so fragile Marner is using this against them

This explosion of second contracts is going to become a spectator entertaining shit show

That the owners didn’t open up the CBA is brilliant

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Somewhere 5 or 6 forward prospects are saying he better earn it this time.

I'd rather call it a nightmare in slow motion.
Hopefully the kids doesn't give management any choice but to play them ahead of Backes.

Bjork, Senyshyn and Kuhlman are all more talented and surely should be better in camp than Backes. Ritchie is probably at about the same level as Backes. If Backes makes the tram over any of the first three, then it will be a result of favoritism or that he outplayed them. If the latter, then those young guys should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: Spooner st

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Back injuries and concussions will definitely slow a man down . I hope he recovers and can contribute . He's got the heart and hockey sense

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

According to WEEI Backes is healthy. Can still bury him in providence and save roughly $1m

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If it’s true he has to be the front runner in the “who will have the biggest leap in production this year” thread. Would love for him to have a bounce back season like Eriksson’s last in Boston.

Just

Stay

Healthy

Again, you ignore the reality of that situation. LE was buried by Claude on the third line, inexplicably. That's why his production dropped off a cliff. Once he got to play with DK, his production went back to what it had been in Dallas. Playing with offensively minded talent helped LE tremendously instead of playing with offensively inept plugs like Soderberg. Backes production dropped off a cliff because he can no longer play. Nothing is going to fix that.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They can survive Backes

LTIR Moore

An aside

This explosion of second contracts is going to become a spectator entertaining **** show

DK I'm not one for fully appreciating contracts term etc...however both players are top tier...wouldn't they be asking form more than 5 and 3.5? Why there's a hold out?

The Backes thing is surprising. Hoping the recent announcement is false. Still find it odd nothing has been promoted by the bruins. Backes was the golden child for marketing / communications come opening season.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
They can survive Backes

LTIR Moore

An aside

This explosion of second contracts is going to become a spectator entertaining **** show

No way Charlie M plays for 5 million a year even in a short term contract
It’s going to to take 7.5 per year to get it done

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I guess he'll probably play 2nd or 3rd line RW, but 4th line is where he would be most effective

Good lord I hope not. That didn’t work out last year having him in a top 9 role. Bruins also added a lot of 4th line depth. I imagine he is either sent to providence to save $1m against the cap or more often than not he will be healthy scratched.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DK I'm not one for fully appreciating contracts term etc...however both players are top tier...wouldn't they be asking form more than 5 and 3.5? Why there's a hold out?

The Backes thing is surprising. Hoping the recent announcement is false. Still find it odd nothing has been promoted by the bruins. Backes was the golden child for marketing / communications come opening season.
They can ask for what they want

MY OPINION is that’s their worth

Term - easy 3 years

Value - I set at $3.5-4 Carlo and $5-5.5 McAvoy

If McAvoy want to go all Matthews/Marner he can play in the KHL

I don’t expect to happen though

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No way Charlie M plays for 5 million a year even in a short term contract
It’s going to to take 7.5 per year to get it done
He’s lucky I’m not GM I’d let him rot

I’d tell him he can have that in 8 year deal

3 @ 5+

8 @ 7.5-8

Reactions: kdog82

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I don't think its surprising at all Backes has always wanted to play hockey and come back ASAP from concussions. Why reverse course now.

He couldn't care less about the Bruins cap situation or he'd have retired having collected most of that contract. His agent went public with this so that we can't give him the Savard treatment without there being some ramifications. Guess its a good thing we didn't sign any big UFAs.

And chances are hes used his NTC to block any trades and given us a list of teams that couldn't possibly take him (putting the likes of SJ, Toronto, Tampa, Vegas etc who are at the cap.) With a buyout proof contract he can play this hand all he wants.

Moore is starting the year on LTIR so there is room for the 2 unsigned D men but we might 'have' to send him to Providence to fit the 2nd. Hard to tell what his reaction will be but I assume hes prepared for 2 years of bus rides.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I guess he'll probably play 2nd or 3rd line RW, but 4th line is where he would be most effective

If Backes is on the second or third line – even if he’s in the starting lineup – then Boston is in rough shape. The definite RWs are Pastrnak and Wagner, and I don’t see Backes being better than Bjork or Kuhlman (or even Senyshyn, for that matter).

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I have no problem having Backes in the Bruins organization as long management is fair with who plays best and deserves a roster spot, either in the NHL or AHL.

If Backes blocked any trades from Bruins and the goal is to collect the paychecks at all cost? Then the best spot for him is in Providence as a healthy scratch.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'm sure the GM of the year has a plan.

Im sure he does. He always gets his deal with the re ups. I will say Charlie is going to cost a hell of alot more than Carlo and he should.

I Don't think they know what Carlo is. Is he A big soft great skating D-man that has zero offensive skills or is there more? I think the kid is missing something and I don't bend one bit to get him on the cheap,

If there was ever a show me deal its this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad