Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Insurance only kicks in after the player misses 30 games. Also, depending on exactly what Backes "injury" is, he may not be insured for a recurrence of a previous injury.

Lastly, depending again on what the injury is, would he actually be out for the entire season? Or would the B's need to be ready to free up space when he returns?

I think fans are hoping for LTIR forever, and that's what I am basing it on.

A player who goes on LTIR from a hockey related injury or a "pre-existing" hockey related injury is covered by insurance. Again, Marc Savard is the classic example. He returned from injury and played in the playoffs during the 2009-2010 season.

When Savard was going to his physical at the start of the 2010-2011 season he wasn't feeling well and it was determined he was suffering from PCS and was placed on LTIR and missed 50+ games. His contract was insured and was paid.

No one knows what the surgery Sweeney talked about was for and whether it is enough to keep the player out for any length of time. Personally, I think if anything keeps Backes out it's going to be concussion related, whether it's him contemplating retirement, or another blow to the head yet to come. I also think that having the Backes contract tur into another Nathan Horton contract may be wishful thinking. But who knows.

As for the 30 games before insurance pays the salary, I will certainly defer to you. I was always under the assumption it was 30 days not 30 games.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, yet there Backes was playing, despite the concussions. Either he has one and can't play or he doesn't and he just sucks now. Pick one and stick with it, David...
Savard played game 7 vs Flyers and 3 months later was done

My take - his skills have deteriorated AND he’s a got a history of concussions that come quicker and easier

It’s to the Backes Family benefit if he goes on LTIR

It’s to the Bruins benefit if he goes on LTIR

Three known concussions in 2 years

Maybe it’s his back? My belief is if he walks in and says I still don’t feel right no doctor is going to say your full of shit

Maybe he shows up to compete for a spot

I do think something is up though

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

My take - his skills have deteriorated AND he’s a got a history of concussions that come quicker and easier

Maybe it’s his back? My belief is if he walks in and says I still don’t feel right no doctor is going to say your full of ****

He has back issues, but not to the point that it would require surgery is my belief.

Backes has been working on his skating with a skating guru. My only hope is that guru is Danielle Logano. She did wonders for Kevan Miller.

He's been working on it most of the summer, so I don't think his back is hindering him that much.

Reactions: Ritmo and DKH

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think fans are hoping for LTIR forever, and that's what I am basing it on.

A player who goes on LTIR from a hockey related injury or a "pre-existing" hockey related injury is covered by insurance. Again, Marc Savard is the classic example. He returned from injury and played in the playoffs during the 2009-2010 season.

When Savard was going to his physical at the start of the 2010-2011 season he wasn't feeling well and it was determined he was suffering from PCS and was placed on LTIR and missed 50+ games. His contract was insured and was paid.

No one knows what the surgery Sweeney talked about was for and whether it is enough to keep the player out for any length of time. Personally, I think if anything keeps Backes out it's going to be concussion related, whether it's him contemplating retirement, or another blow to the head yet to come. I also think that having the Backes contract tur into another Nathan Horton contract may be wishful thinking. But who knows.

As for the 30 games before insurance pays the salary, I will certainly defer to you. I was always under the assumption it was 30 days not 30 games.

If the issue with Backes is indeed concussions then there's a possibility his contract is not insured for that. The insurance company is allowed to exclude recurrences of previous injuries. Those exclusions have to be announced preemptively on an annual deadline. Backes history of concussions suggest the insurance company could have excluded that from his coverage.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He has back issues, but not to the point that it would require surgery is my belief.

Backes has been working on his skating with a skating guru. My only hope is that guru is Danielle Logano. She did wonders for Kevan Miller.

He's been working on it most of the summer, so I don't think his back is hindering him that much.
If his skating is there here is my new revised lineup

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak

DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes

David Backes 2020 comeback player of year

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Secretly released video of him and his skating coach Rover. Looks to be faster, pencil him for the top line.

giphy.gif

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Maybe it’s his back? My belief is if he walks in and says I still don’t feel right no doctor is going to say your full of ****

So he sucks and is all done, but it's all good if he commits insurance fraud so the Bruins don't have to pay? :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So he sucks and is all done, but it's all good if he commits insurance fraud so the Bruins don't have to pay? :laugh:
My ideal situation is he plays and dresses and plays for clinching Cup game June 2020

Heck what the hell score the game winner

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
So, if Backes has been working on his skating this off season with a skating “guru”, then would that not mean he feels able to play this year and that LTIR is not on the table?

I suspect that his training efforts are for naught, though, as I can’t see him outplaying any of the other leading RW candidates (Bjork, Kuhlman, Wagner, Ritchie, etc.).

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So, if Backes has been working on his skating this off season with a skating “guru”, then would that not mean he feels able to play this year and that LTIR is not on the table?

I suspect that his training efforts are for naught, though, as I can’t see him outplaying any of the other leading RW candidates (Bjork, Kuhlman, Wagner, Ritchie, etc.).
Pretty sure he outproduced all of those guys - regular and post season- even with the injuries, and all the other shit people say about the guy in here. I’m rooting for of all of em but just sayin...

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That's the way I'm reading it. If you're training with a skating coach, the presumption is you're healthy enough to play. It would be kind of absurd if he trained hard all off season only to come back and claim he can't go.

Reactions: Estlin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pretty sure he outproduced all of those guys - regular and post season- even with the injuries, and all the other **** people say about the guy in here. I’m rooting for of all of em but just sayin...

Backes had a .29 ppg average. Kulman had a .45 ppg avg. The big difference is that Backes got 70 games to suck, while KK got only 11.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's the way I'm reading it. If you're training with a skating coach, the presumption is you're healthy enough to play. It would be kind of absurd if he trained hard all off season only to come back and claim he can't go.
Makes sense

I told me daughter recently if he doesn’t retire is on the team and is part of the Cup 20 team I’ll get her a Backes Jersey

Dom’s post a game changer in the jersey department

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Backes had a .29 ppg average. Kulman had a .45 ppg avg. The big difference is that Backes got 70 games to suck, while KK got only 11.
If he comes in skating even 80% of Conor McDavid they got to keep him

Curious if he took the figure skating instructor

Backes with the moves of Dorothy Hamel would be phenomenal

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Makes sense

I told me daughter recently if he doesn’t retire is on the team and is part of the Cup 20 team I’ll get her a Backes Jersey

Dom’s post a game changer in the jersey department

You've got two very big issues in front of you. Typically the losing team in the cup finals does not even get close the following year, and secondly Backes is cooked. Other than that though, spot on...:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You've got two very big issues in front of you. Typically the losing team in the cup finals does not even get close the following year, and secondly Backes is cooked. Other than that though, spot on...:laugh:
I still think the Bruins should play the season though

Maybe they get lucky and make the playoffs

I’m wired negative so I agree 100% with you

We are f***ed

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I still think the Bruins should play the season though

Maybe they get lucky and make the playoffs

I’m wired negative so I agree 100% with you

We are ****ed

It's not that it can't happen, just that it would be a statistical anomaly if it does happen...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's not that it can't happen, just that it would be a statistical anomaly if it does happen...
I read the same thing after the Flyers overcame 3-0, 3-0 in 2010.

Blow it up the team is contaminated

They will go out and play and see what happens

Like the Blues wanted it more ?

Accept for game 3 their first home game in a finals in 50 years and get waxed 7-2

And game 6 at home with Cup in building they lose 5-1

It’s hockey - anything but Toronto winning a Cup is possible

All I know is I’m taking June 15 2020 off for the Cup parade

Reactions: kdog82

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Nice facility the loganos built in Charlotte NC ‘extreme ice center’ that is if that’s the Logano that’s brother is the nascar driver Joey logano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad