Player Discussion David Backes VI

Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
For the coming season, he has an eight-team trade list. I imagine that St. Louis is one of those teams, but would the Blues want him back? Teams that may want to reach the cap floor may not be on the list of teams to which Backes would accept a trade, so this could complicate any effort by Sweeney to unload him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In somewhat related news, David Backes finally just crossed the red line and is heading towards the offensive zone. I will keep you updated on any further progress as this story develops...

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In somewhat related news, David Backes finally just crossed the red line and is heading towards the offensive zone. I will keep you updated on any further progress as this story develops...

If he had signed the 4 X $6 million deal the Blues offered him, he would have his cup now and be a UFA after next season.

Reactions: LSCII

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
For the coming season, he has an eight-team trade list. I imagine that St. Louis is one of those teams, but would the Blues want him back? Teams that may want to reach the cap floor may not be on the list of teams to which Backes would accept a trade, so this could complicate any effort by Sweeney to unload him.

Absolutely not. He would completely screw up our cap structure and we have plenty of players to resign.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you dig into cap friendly the teams that are currently under the floor have rfas to sign. All are projected to reach the floor.

Backes won’t go to Ottawa but I doubt they want him. They can add injured guys like clarkson, Franzen without much issue after any SB get paid.

A team like NJ has this summer to convince Hall that they are prepared to win now. Adding $6 million in Backes doesn’t scream that.

He’s movable but at a cost.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I like the guy. Seems like a stand up human being and I question whether he would have had one good game in him last night.

That said, if a team not on his ntc list would take him for a second rounder (attached) I think Boston needs to swallow that and do it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The only team that might have difficulty reaching the floor (and that is a small might) is Vancouver.

And they already have a bad contract.

Colorado needs to add $15 million with only 13 players and Rantanen will eat a large chunk of that.

New Jersey? $14 million with a 14 man roster, but I believe they will be in on the FA market.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Hey, how’s it going! Believe it or not, but I like you - ha. I do think it’s time for Backes to ask for a trade. I think Arizona would be a good fit for him. Was the signing a success? Well, you did reach the Cup Final and that was the goal when Boston signed him. But at this point with how Cassidy benched him in the Finals, I think it’s pointless for Dave to stick around. If Boston can find another home for Dave this off season, it would be best for both parties. And given the fact that this SC series brought back physical grinding hockey, now other teams might be more inclined to beef it up some. So Backes will have more market value now. If the Bruins unload Dave this off season, then yes, the Bruins got their money’s worth IMO. PS— Backes is not a turtle like you claim him to be and it wouldn’t have hurt if he played last night. Later friend!

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Or they don't have the money to acquire ROR.

Actually Alexander Steen would of been the guy jettisoned if Backes had stayed. I’m inclined to think if Backes had stayed, then the locker room doesn’t unravel and Yeo ends up staying on as coach and the Blues don’t get anywhere. The fact that Yeo lost the locker room got him cashiered. As much as I wish Backes was here to get that Cup with us, I don’t think we get the same series of events.

Reactions: Lo97 and TD Charlie

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i assume they will work with backes to find a soft landing spot for him. buyout makes no sense and evan gold
is too sharp to let that happen. i don't have any idea on the insider stuff, but my guess would be that backes will
be happy to move on since it's clear cassidy sees him as a bit part. possibilities i see:

1) find team looking for "leadership and character" that doesn't have cap issues. trade him after bonus is paid on july 1
(sweeney will bend over on this deal and have to offer a nice sweetener or 2)

2) find team willing to take backes for 50% retained (same bending over process as in #1)

3) find other team with problematic contract and work something out

4) if nothing reasonable presents itself, he comes to camp in september with fair chance to make the team.
when he fails to be one of the top 13 F, they send him to the AHL. he either agrees or doesn't

Reactions: Estlin

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
i assume they will work with backes to find a soft landing spot for him. buyout makes no sense and evan gold
is too sharp to let that happen. i don't have any idea on the insider stuff, but my guess would be that backes will
be happy to move on since it's clear cassidy sees him as a bit part. possibilities i see:

1) find team looking for "leadership and character" that doesn't have cap issues. trade him after bonus is paid on july 1
(sweeney will bend over on this deal and have to offer a nice sweetener or 2)

2) find team willing to take backes for 50% retained (same bending over process as in #1)

3) find other team with problematic contract and work something out

4) if nothing reasonable presents itself, he comes to camp in september with fair chance to make the team.
when he fails to be one of the top 13 F, they send him to the AHL. he either agrees or doesn't
Think the Oil would do Milan and Jesse for Backes?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll say this much, the cleaning-out day interview with Backes will likely be the hardest one for Sweeney and Co. to do. That's a difficult conversation to have, especially for a heart-and-soul warrior like David Backes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad