Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So how do the folks defending and excusing away Backes' play being due to injury feel now that the guy's agent has said he's completely healthy and ready to go? Sounds like even Backes isn't clinging to the concussion theory you all are, no? :laugh:

He doesn't have post concussion syndrome. He simply isn't a good player any longer and hasn't been for years.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Nothing worse for the back than long bus rides, sorry David. Backes has been a black mark for the GM of the year. Woulda been nice to have a pulse on Krejci's right side last year. We should have seen it coming when Backes' offseason plan to stay with the pace of the game was to lose 5 pounds. ya bud, that's all you needed to do.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Somewhere 5 or 6 forward prospects are saying he better earn it this time.
Somewhere 5 or 6 forward prospects should be thinking about the fact that if they can play in the NHL for nearly a thousand games and score 250-ish NHL goals it will be them bringing down big dollars at the end of their career when their better days have passed them.

It's the way of the world and reality is that those 5 to 6 prospects aren't in a position to say squat about who "better earn it"or not. Unless they are Mitch Marner or Charlie McAvoy type players. If so? Great, we'll find a way to deal with the problem.

Reactions: Fenian24

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Have to admit I like the idea of Backes being part of a the Bruins 2020 Cup winning team - dressing for the clincher

My main concern is it’s a home game and preferably on a Saturday

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Somewhere 5 or 6 forward prospects should be thinking about the fact that if they can play in the NHL for nearly a thousand games and score 250-ish NHL goals it will be them bringing down big dollars at the end of their career when their better days have passed them.

It's the way of the world and reality is that those 5 to 6 prospects aren't in a position to say squat about who "better earn it"or not. Unless they are Mitch Marner or Charlie McAvoy type players. If so? Great, we'll find a way to deal with the problem.

The reality is he has to earn it. He didn’t for most of the playoffs and final game. His game is trending the wrong direction.

If he comes back a better player fantastic however most of us don’t see that happening. I Highly doubt the bruins organization does as well. Yup including some of the prospects.

Reactions: PepeBostones

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

The downside to Backes taking up the roster spot is that it takes away playing time from a prospect that could potentially break out and separate himself from the other prospects. The buyout doesn't really save anything cap wise but what are you losing in terms of production, not too much. Games played for prospects is a upside for the bruins.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Have to admit I like the idea of Backes being part of a the Bruins 2020 Cup winning team - dressing for the clincher

My main concern is it’s a home game and preferably on a Saturday
The Bruins coming so close , getting a lot of breaks to get to the finals last year does that make you more or less confident about your 2020 Stanley Cup prediction?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So the Bruins have a 6M 4th line winger who brings leadership and grit, something this team desperately needs. Play him 50 games a year work in Senyshyn or another rookie and find a way to get McAvoy and Carlo signed.

Bruins aren't the only team with bad contracts and restricted free agents. Calgary, Tampa and Toronto aren't in great shape either with key young players not signed and looking at hold outs possibly. Tampa by the way found a way to add size and grit in an older player in Maroon (much better contract than Backes') and still don't have their top center signed. Sweeney needs to find a way to get Carlo and McAvoy signed, blaming Backes for taking a contract any player would have is stupid and pointless, he is here and will be here for at least this year and probably next. McAvoy and Carlo need to work out something with Sweeney, most likely short term deals.

Maybe if Sweeney (or Chiarelli) had drafted faster, aggressive players the Bruins would not have had to pay top dollar and years to add it in Backes. Instead Sweeney is now starting to draft bigger, tougher forwards like Frederic and Beecher to hopefully prevent over paying for players past their primes like Backes and Simmonds going forward.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The downside to Backes taking up the roster spot is that it takes away playing time from a prospect that could potentially break out and separate himself from the other prospects. The buyout doesn't really save anything cap wise but what are you losing in terms of production, not too much.
I agree. In an ideal world we'd not have DB taking up a roster spot at this kind of money -- but we do and Boston is neither the first nor the last team to find themselves in that less than ideal position. Rather, I was just reflecting on the reality that it is the prospects that are the ones that have to show something -- not a grizzled veteran that put himself in position to get a contract we all wish we didn't have on the books.

In short, any prospect that is feeling like DB "better earn his spot" has a crappy attitude and likely won't have the type of career that gets him $6M per while he's clearly at the last stages of his career.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The reality is he has to earn it. He didn’t for most of the playoffs and final game. His game is trending the wrong direction.

If he comes back a better player fantastic however most of us don’t see that happening. I Highly doubt the bruins organization does as well. Yup including some of the prospects.
Disagree. Backes is getting his money regardless. It's the prospect that has to show that he can produce (or benefit from burning a development year) better than what Backes can. If he/they can? Great. If not, rather than moaning that DB "better earn it" they should get a skating coach or a coach for whatever ails them.

Backes is not ideal for Boston -- no question. However, it is what it is. What the prospects think about it though? Who cares. Those who can will earn a spot regardless of Backes. Those who can't? Who cares.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Somewhere 5 or 6 forward prospects are saying he better earn it this time.
Maybe these mystery 5 or 6 forwards should have played better and taken the job instead of crying about Backes. Senyshyn and his 14 AHL goals couldn't do it, Cehlarik couldn't stick, JFK and his passive game couldn't take his job away and stay up when the team got healthy. If they had a player who could play top 9 minutes I'm sure Cassidy would have replaced Backes.

The lack of a second line RW didn't just show up last year with Backes struggles, they haven't had one for years which is on Sweeney

Reactions: Number8

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Disagree. Backes is getting his money regardless. It's the prospect that has to show that he can produce (or benefit from burning a development year) better than what Backes can. If he/they can? Great. If not, rather than moaning that DB "better earn it" they should get a skating coach or a coach for whatever ails them.

Backes is not ideal for Boston -- no question. However, it is what it is. What the prospects think about it though? Who cares. Those who can will earn a spot regardless of Backes. Those who can't? Who cares.

in situations similar to Tom Brady and Ken Dryden, sometimes you don't know what you have until they are playing (not saying the bruins have 2 all time greats as prospects). The St Louis goalie seemed to come out of nowhere and elevate his team.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
in situations similar to Tom Brady and Ken Dryden, sometimes you don't know what you have until they are playing (not saying the bruins have 2 all time greats as prospects)
I will agree that can be the case. God I hope it is now. If so, I will very humbly and very gladly eat my words!!!!:laugh:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I will agree that can be the case. God I hope it is now. If so, I will very humbly and very gladly eat my words!!!!:laugh:

Agree, while I hate being wrong if Bjork goes out and becomes a 30 goal scorer or Senyshyn was just a bad minor league player and becomes the long missing 2RW I will admit their were better options than Backes available and they should have been utilized. I still haven't seen them.

I am hoping that Beecher and Frederic become clones of a young Backes, so maybe having him around isn't such a bad thing to help those players. (I'm also hoping Beecher is so good in rookie camp that the Bruins offer him a deal and he doesn't head to college but becomes the third line center and Coyle a dominant 2RW and that I win the lottery soon)

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
So the Bruins have a 6M 4th line winger who brings leadership and grit, something this team desperately needs. Play him 50 games a year work in Senyshyn or another rookie and find a way to get McAvoy and Carlo signed.

Bruins aren't the only team with bad contracts and restricted free agents. Calgary, Tampa and Toronto aren't in great shape either with key young players not signed and looking at hold outs possibly. Tampa by the way found a way to add size and grit in an older player in Maroon (much better contract than Backes') and still don't have their top center signed. Sweeney needs to find a way to get Carlo and McAvoy signed, blaming Backes for taking a contract any player would have is stupid and pointless, he is here and will be here for at least this year and probably next. McAvoy and Carlo need to work out something with Sweeney, most likely short term deals.

Maybe if Sweeney (or Chiarelli) had drafted faster, aggressive players the Bruins would not have had to pay top dollar and years to add it in Backes. Instead Sweeney is now starting to draft bigger, tougher forwards like Frederic and Beecher to hopefully prevent over paying for players past their primes like Backes and Simmonds going forward.

Leadership and Grit? Bruins have an abundance of it.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

The 4th line was fantastic in the playoffs with Wagner - Acciari - Nordy and Kuraly. All of them were better than Backes and a heck of a lot cheaper. I do not see him making the 4th line over any of the 3 left. Sad reality is he will have to be in the top 9 here or Providence. I just do not see how he does that here. They clearly made the choice in the playoffs. He may well be the 13th forward all year. I am not sure how they sign Carlo and Mac now. Miller looks to be the guy they will have to move if not Backes.

No kids are saying Backes better earn it, so please stop hyping that false news. I see it is already repeated by another poster to prove a point and paint the kids as spoiled brats. Read what Studnicka and Seny have been saying and stick to facts.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe these mystery 5 or 6 forwards should have played better and taken the job instead of crying about Backes. Senyshyn and his 14 AHL goals couldn't do it, Cehlarik couldn't stick, JFK and his passive game couldn't take his job away and stay up when the team got healthy. If they had a player who could play top 9 minutes I'm sure Cassidy would have replaced Backes.

The lack of a second line RW didn't just show up last year with Backes struggles, they haven't had one for years which is on Sweeney

It is on Sweeney 100%. Because he incorrectly identified and signed Backes to fill a role the player had no shot at ever filling. Now that player is reduced to trying to be an enforcer because he's so brutally bad at playing hockey. And you're all for it, which is simply sad.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I am hoping that Beecher and Frederic become clones of a young Backes, so maybe having him around isn't such a bad thing to help those players. (I'm also hoping Beecher is so good in rookie camp that the Bruins offer him a deal and he doesn't head to college but becomes the third line center and Coyle a dominant 2RW and that I win the lottery soon)
If it's the case then maybe he retires and they sign him as assistant coach 2/7M.

He gets his money and a new career.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It is on Sweeney 100%. Because he incorrectly identified and signed Backes to fill a role the player had no shot at ever filling. Now that player is reduced to trying to be an enforcer because he's so brutally bad at playing hockey. And you're all for it, which is simply sad.
Oh no, I want a much more effective enforcer. David Backes risking another concussion fighting heavyweights isn't on my list of things I want to see. I want Mike Haley or Kyle Clifford to do that. While Backes may not be very good anymore he is not "brutally bad" , they have plenty of prospects who fill the brutally bad roll.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If it's the case then maybe he retires and they sign him as assistant coach 2/7M.

He gets his money and a new career.
I have thought for years he would make a good coach, it's too bad I can't see him accepting a demotion to Providence, he could play home games and be a player/coach for the forwards. I see him as a Berube, Tocchet or Coliton type coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad