Player Discussion David Backes VI

Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
No kids are saying Backes better earn it, so please stop hyping that false news. I see it is already repeated by another poster to prove a point and paint the kids as spoiled brats. Read what Studnicka and Seny have been saying and stick to facts.

I was actually replying to a poster who was blaming Backes for taking prospects spots, I was not trying to place blame on the prospects just stating that if they were better than Backes Cassidy would have sat Backes and played them, no one stepped up to take his spot last year until Sweeney dealt for Johansson and Coyle. I have always liked that Senyshyen works hard, does what he has been told and competes, in his case I just question the talent level. Studnicka has said nothing at all as far as I know and I hope he fills the number two center spot in a few years.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I was actually replying to a poster who was blaming Backes for taking prospects spots, I was not trying to place blame on the prospects just stating that if they were better than Backes Cassidy would have sat Backes and played them, no one stepped up to take his spot last year until Sweeney dealt for Johansson and Coyle. I have always liked that Senyshyen works hard, does what he has been told and competes, in his case I just question the talent level. Studnicka has said nothing at all as far as I know and I hope he fills the number two center spot in a few years.
Edit, I like this group of prospects attitudes for the most part, there are no Spooners or Koko's whining about playing time from the evil coach. The decision to draft character as much as talent was a great move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spooner st

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No they don't. Just my opinion but if they did game 7 would have been more competitive, among other issues.

Bruins completely dominated the 1st period of game 7 and should've been up 2-0 if not for Binnington, instead they went down 2-0 on some soft defensive plays at the end of the 1st. How quickly we forget the turn of events in that game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins completely dominated the 1st period of game 7 and should've been up 2-0 if not for Binnington, instead they went down 2-0 on some soft defensive plays at the end of the 1st. How quickly we forget the turn of events in that game.
And how did the second and third periods go? Full effort produced by the team? Leaders stepping up? show of grit and determination in a rousing comeback?

Blues played well, manhandled the Bruins and controlled the second and third period, maybe some more grit, toughness, leadership and size and it's a different result, maybe they don't get to game seven.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Oh no, I want a much more effective enforcer. David Backes risking another concussion fighting heavyweights isn't on my list of things I want to see. I want Mike Haley or Kyle Clifford to do that. While Backes may not be very good anymore he is not "brutally bad" , they have plenty of prospects who fill the brutally bad roll.

Ferland would have been nice

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Have to admit I like the idea of Backes being part of a the Bruins 2020 Cup winning team - dressing for the clincher

My main concern is it’s a home game and preferably on a Saturday

I highly doubt he plays much this year and if he gets to start a clinching game over someone who was a bigger contributor to the team next season that would be an atrocity.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I wanted ferland until I looked at his line pairings the past few years. He was playing with premiere talent. He’s going to be beleskey 2.0
I don't get this comparison, like at all. Because he's physical, plays with an edge and has some offense to his game he's automatically going to hit a wall and be in the AHL within a year?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Disagree. Backes is getting his money regardless. It's the prospect that has to show that he can produce (or benefit from burning a development year) better than what Backes can. If he/they can? Great. If not, rather than moaning that DB "better earn it" they should get a skating coach or a coach for whatever ails them.

Backes is not ideal for Boston -- no question. However, it is what it is. What the prospects think about it though? Who cares. Those who can will earn a spot regardless of Backes. Those who can't? Who cares.

Yes that’s what I said.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't get this comparison, like at all. Because he's physical, plays with an edge and has some offense to his game he's automatically going to hit a wall and be in the AHL within a year?

No I’m not saying ferland will be in the AHL in a year, but beleskey played with Anaheim’s top line and it brought his stats up much like ferland who played with Calgary’s top line and Carolinas top line. Ferland will be playing with much lesser talent in Vancouver and his numbers will definitely take a hit, much like beleskey.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yup, very curious to see how he does in Vancouver. I'm betting 25-20-45 and a ton of hits and a nice physical presence on Pettersson's line.

He never reached those numbers while playing on Aho’s or Gaudreau’s line. Now he’s going to do it on a lesser team/line?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
And how did the second and third periods go? Full effort produced by the team? Leaders stepping up? show of grit and determination in a rousing comeback?

Blues played well, manhandled the Bruins and controlled the second and third period, maybe some more grit, toughness, leadership and size and it's a different result, maybe they don't get to game seven.

Once Bruins went down 2-0 jam done.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
No I’m not saying ferland will be in the AHL in a year, but beleskey played with Anaheim’s top line and it brought his stats up much like ferland who played with Calgary’s top line and Carolinas top line. Ferland will be playing with much lesser talent in Vancouver and his numbers will definitely take a hit, much like beleskey.
Even if he's a 35-40 point guy while providing the ability to not get tuned up in a fight, and dish out physicality on a consistent basis, that works. I think Ferland could work on the third line in Boston, hell, even second line alongside Krejci/DeBrusk. The top 9 on this team needs some physicality... desperately.

I'm curious to see if Ritchie could work on the third line, though.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

If you're insinuating they laid down, that is absurd. The effort was there. They didn't finish. It happens.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Even if he's a 35-40 point guy while providing the ability to not get tuned up in a fight, and dish out physicality on a consistent basis, that works. I think Ferland could work on the third line in Boston, hell, even second line alongside Krejci/DeBrusk. The top 9 on this team needs some physicality... desperately.

Ritchie on line 3 with Coyle and Heinen and Ferland on Krejci's line and all of a sudden they aren't so small and non physical in the top 9. 45-50 points from Ferland and whatever from Ritchie (or Wagner if they had to). Instead we have a group of forwards still too small and passive to compete with bigger, more physical teams.

I think more and more about Frederic as a LW on the third line with Coyle and Heinen, two big players, one physical one who doesn't play afraid and Heinen being a defensive presence. Frederic adds size and toughness to the wing and doesn't have to worry too much about defense with Coyle and Heinen as his linemates. Ritchie on line 4 and then you just have to find the missing 2RW, ideally with some size and grit.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If you're insinuating they laid down, that is absurd. The effort was there. They didn't finish. It happens.
Wasn't a lot of pushback in the second or third period. Crashing the net could have produced chances that trying to be finesse didn't, wait, they didn't have the size to get through the Blues D to crash the net. What I saw was pretty close to laying down, especially after Marchand decided to change with 10 seconds left in the first period and Rask's stellar 500.00 save percentage.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Have some respect for the person please. This thread is way off kilter in so many ways.

I am in no way related to Backes or even a pink hat fan of his. Search the threads at the signing and I predicted this would end in a Scatchard like signing...

Having said all that... the acrimonious vitriol against Backes really needs to stop. The guy has father time knocking and it isn't due to lack of guts, desire, or willingness to put the time in to train. It's just nature and no-one can counter that once it is set it. Blaming him for being a professional and training to give it a go and contribute, earn the paycheck, be a teammate... it's just not right. He's not pouting. He's not milking it showing up out of shape. He's not hiding to protect his body or health when on the ice playing his minutes.

Blame Sweeney for the signing. Blame genetics. Yell at the moon for goodness sake. But stop calling out the person (yes person) as if he were a bum because he's giving it his all and just doesn't have enough left to give to be on par with his salary band peer group.

Sack check before posting the next "he sucks" comment for those who know they are - do it if you would honestly tell him to his face in a bar with Bergie on his left and Chara on his right. Not because they'd wallop you, but because of how they would react to you as a person, fan, and supporter of the B's....and how that may just make you reframe where the person fits in the puzzle of cap and roster pieces.

Rant over & out.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

The Blues neither manhandled the Bruins, nor controlled the second and third periods. Saying so is revisionist history.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The comparison is obvious because he produced well with very good linemates. Without those linemates, his production will fall. Will be interesting to see if he actually plays with Pettersson in Vancouver, and if so, if he continues to produce. It's not a terrible comparison, even if it doesn't end up with similar results.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Blues neither manhandled the Bruins, nor controlled the second and third periods. Saying so is revisionist history.
I’m going with shock

I was there

I was stunned

The Bruins shoulda coulda woulda knocked them out in the first

Dhit happens

Games 3 and 6 in St Louis the Blues wanted to win as much as any home game in 50 years they got outscored 12-3

Both teams gave it 100% and wanted it

Sometimes things really go your way and sometimes they don’t

Nothing more nothing less

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I see Backes is out for the Captain's skate. What does this bode regarding all the LTIR talk?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He was getting 40-42 points on those teams top lines. That’s about half the production for players on our top line. I imagine if he was bumped down to the 2nd or 3rd line he would have less to significantly less than than 42 points.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He was getting 40-42 points on those teams top lines. That’s about half the production for players on our top line. I imagine if he was bumped down to the 2nd or 3rd line he would have less to significantly less than than 42 points.
You're right. He's trash and wouldn't benefit the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->