Dave Tippett's future after not making the playoffs for 2 straight seasons

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
This thread is full of stupid.

There's pretty much no one actually thinks that Tippett will or should go any time soon.

All most people are saying is that you can't have the exact same group of players, same coaching methods, same line-ups and combos, just keep on playing and expect different results. If you are expecting that , then you would be relying on luck, not actually forming a strategy to right this ship.

DT should stay, at least through next season; to be given enough time under new ownership to produce results. But somethings, and some of his decisions might have to be adjusted in order for this team to succeed; otherwise, we are unlikely to be even fighting for a PO spot come April.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I do understand what Your trying to say. I do. I don' view it as anything that great sorry. 1 year makes the playoff's. In the NHL that's no great feat. Got knocked off. 2011 Very Good!!!! WCF!!!! Last Year Tanked Big Time. This Year Tanking. I just think We can do better that's all. I really have seen better. Yes I've Seen Worse. (Rick Bowness). Wasn't here for the "Great One". I do understand where Tip is a big improvement. But right now These player are not playing for Him. Unless you get rid of all the players or a good part of the player. Or the coach The Coyotes are going to lose. Say what You will. We are losing. Line changes aren't working. Switch goalie. We are losing. You say keep Tip. OK Then how do We Win? A Trade? Who? We got nothingI have been reading On this board and other places Our Minors were Loaded. I Looked the other night at the stats Some of You Were so RIGHT!!! WE are screwed. Other than a couple of D-Men. There are no real forwards ready to come up and put the puck in the net. I was so mistaken by believing the press clipping about Portland.
So I ask You How do you turn this around?

You turn it around with a coach like Tip at the helm, that has proven time and again, with and without talent, with and without injuries, with 2 organizations, that he can figure it out. Perhaps you don't have a perspective of playing a sport, playing a team sport, coaching a team sport, or managing employees. You need them all to be successful.

Overall, I think we are about where we all thought we would be at this point in the season, at the cusp of a playoff spot. I didn't think we would be a lock at this point and I didn't think we would be way out of one either.

The burp in our recent play is like trying to analyze a car accident, not caused by any one thing. Multiple injuries, poor play, bad breaks, early season offensive success, and Mike Smith have all contributed lately. I am sure Tip would have done things a bit differently to, in hind sight.

I think Tip can fix everything well enough except for the most important thing, the play of Mike Smith. If smith plays well, we win more games, the team will play more confidently and the player/team sins will be less frequent.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There's pretty much no one actually thinks that Tippett will or should go any time soon.

All most people are saying is that you can't have the exact same group of players, same coaching methods, same line-ups and combos, just keep on playing and expect different results. If you are expecting that , then you would be relying on luck, not actually forming a strategy to right this ship.

DT should stay, at least through next season; to be given enough time under new ownership to produce results. But somethings, and some of his decisions might have to be adjusted in order for this team to succeed; otherwise, we are unlikely to be even fighting for a PO spot come April.

I am not sure what Tip can do differently? I say that because he juggles players up and down the line up, up and down from the AHL, like a mad trader. I almost think there is too much tweaking, but Tip knows best. I know he is looking for a spark, hard play or a hot hand. Its not like he isn't moving chairs around the deck frequently.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I am not sure what Tip can do differently? I say that because he juggles players up and down the line up, up and down from the AHL, like a mad trader. I almost think there is too much tweaking, but Tip knows best. I know he is looking for a spark, hard play or a hot hand. Its not like he isn't moving chairs around the deck frequently.

I'm not sure either. I'm not saying that we know of a silver bullet here somehow.

It'll likely take some combination of an astute deal made by GMDM to at least bolster our top-6 wing by getting 1 or 2 productive wings, getting a better combo on the 4th line, Z getting back to play on top pairing, getting a little more mobility and skill into our bottom 2 D pairings, and Smitty either get better or be gone.

Another option, should we fail to land a top-6 forward, would be to give someone from AHL an extended audition on one of the top-lines. No matter how much mistakes these rookies make, if they can bring something positive in terms of production and puck possession on our top-6, it can't be much worse than the last 10 games.

Some in-house personelle decisions would likely also help. Some people that have played a lot have not really contributed much if anything to the team; we need to sit some of these passengers, no matter whose favorites they are.

Some guys like Moss simply shouldn't play, missing basically an open net from 4 ft away, not being able to lift the puck over the goalie's pad when no one is checking you is inexcusable (and that's happened with him again, and again). Korpi and Klink have some spunk, and are some of DM and DT's fav players, but the truth is they have contributed little this season; and sitting them a couple to clear their heads would not be a bad thing. Anyhow, we definitely should stop playing these muckers with Rib, that's just a waste, pure and simple, of both money and talent.

Some of our D, while don't often make glaring mistakes, are also more or less passengers. I'm not sure why Klesla is still on the team, much less playing. And people here have been giving way too much credit to Schlemko; I watch him game in and game out; most of his breakouts and offensive zone starts end up more in turn overs than any thing productive on the opponents' end. Morris also has be notedly sub-par; he needs to get his psychy together, or we shouldn't playing him and relying on him as much as we have been. Stone is OK; but he needs to learn to anticipate plays better in his own zone, and should improve his mobiity; I'm not saying that he should be in the box, but that he's been given too much responsiblity as he has right now; someone like Z needs to play next to 23, not Stone.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
You turn it around with a coach like Tip at the helm, that has proven time and again, with and without talent, with and without injuries, with 2 organizations, that he can figure it out. Perhaps you don't have a perspective of playing a sport, playing a team sport, coaching a team sport, or managing employees. You need them all to be successful.

Overall, I think we are about where we all thought we would be at this point in the season, at the cusp of a playoff spot. I didn't think we would be a lock at this point and I didn't think we would be way out of one either.

The burp in our recent play is like trying to analyze a car accident, not caused by any one thing. Multiple injuries, poor play, bad breaks, early season offensive success, and Mike Smith have all contributed lately. I am sure Tip would have done things a bit differently to, in hind sight.

I think Tip can fix everything well enough except for the most important thing, the play of Mike Smith. If smith plays well, we win more games, the team will play more confidently and the player/team sins will be less frequent.

Just how many Fatal car accident have You Looked AT? IN My 20plus Years On The Police Dept. I Saw and investigated a few. Don't talk to me about car accidents. You don't have a clue. I played goalie in HS College and after.Maybe not well. Loved getting up at 2 in the morning for ice time. But I have an idea how the basics come togeather. Even Coached some. Won a few games. Now How bout You? What's Your claim to Fame? Look We can go round and round on this. You think Tip is Great. I think He was Great. But His time is up. Time for a change. Its that simple. doubt We will ever agree. One thing is certain Tip has to win. He knows this. The most knowledgeable likeable coach knows they have to win. Or the leave. Coach's are hired to be fired. They all know this. Often they take the blame for the GM. And His mistakes. Is that what's happening here? I do blame GMDM for most of the problem of the team. He is the one who gave Tip these players. He's the one who is responsible for the Cap. So Tip is a victim in a way. But it is what it is.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Just how many Fatal car accident have You Looked AT? IN My 20plus Years On The Police Dept. I Saw and investigated a few. Don't talk to me about car accidents. You don't have a clue. I played goalie in HS College and after.Maybe not well. Loved getting up at 2 in the morning for ice time. But I have an idea how the basics come togeather. Even Coached some. Won a few games. Now How bout You? What's Your claim to Fame? Look We can go round and round on this. You think Tip is Great. I think He was Great. But His time is up. Time for a change. Its that simple. doubt We will ever agree. One thing is certain Tip has to win. He knows this. The most knowledgeable likeable coach knows they have to win. Or the leave. Coach's are hired to be fired. They all know this. Often they take the blame for the GM. And His mistakes. Is that what's happening here? I do blame GMDM for most of the problem of the team. He is the one who gave Tip these players. He's the one who is responsible for the Cap. So Tip is a victim in a way. But it is what it is.

Why are you attacking Cobra? He wasn't claiming to be an investigative officer in car accidents. It was an analogy. And many of us have played and coached hockey. While some of your other points may be valid, you lose credibility when you consistently bring a negative attitude and can't accept anything anyone else has to say. Take it easy. It's not life or death. It's a forum of differing opinions about a GAME. We all are bit passionate about this game but even still, have a little respect.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Bump.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts this time now that we have gone 2 straight seasons without making the playoffs.

I'll just say this, if we don't make the playoffs for the 3rd straight season, I will be calling for Tippett's and Maloney's head.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Give Tippet another year.

Not at all for axing GMDM until we know what he can do with ownership.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Same opinion as before. Tip stays and GMDM stays.. if things get really really bad next season or if two more seasons of this then Tip will get the Axe then if it continues after that GMDM will be thrown out..

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
My issues are with the players, not Dave Tippett.

I would agree with this, but its Tippets job to get these guys ready and he didnt do that very well this season. He was also a record machine of excuses. Something has to give.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
College is the last level of play where coaches need to motivate the players. If professional players can't get themselves up, Tippet can't help them.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
College is the last level of play where coaches need to motivate the players. If professional players can't get themselves up, Tippet can't help them.

Too an extent. However, the hard nosed type approach would have been a better scene this year. With injuries and the lack of roster players available I know he couldnt sit someone as often as he probably had liked, but when you see the same product night in and night out, you, as a coach, need to make the adjustments.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He's a notorious line switcher, and sometimes you'd like for him to have a little more patience with the lines.

I know he always talks about pairs, I don't know, just pure frustration at the effort that was displayed on more than 1 night this year

Completely frustrated fan

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Too an extent. However, the hard nosed type approach would have been a better scene this year. With injuries and the lack of roster players available I know he couldnt sit someone as often as he probably had liked, but when you see the same product night in and night out, you, as a coach, need to make the adjustments.

The motivation at the pro level comes from wanting to keep your job. How many guys felt threatened by guys in the box or in Portland? Not many I'd imagine. They seem to know that Tippett will stick with what he knows rather than roll the dice, and this tends to make players complacent.

He has shown no willingness to give unknowns an extended look. So you know a guy is very, very unlikely to ever take your spot. These players have also mostly been together for a long time which also breeds complacency and a lack of accountability to each other.

Losing Aucoin, Whitney, and Gordon was just too much leadership and experience lost.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Tippett and Maloney are here for the time being, and I still support them fully. But after this season which has been a relative debacle in futility since October, I think it's not uncalled for to vocalize more scrutiny regarding their decisions, Tippett especially.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Tippett and Maloney are here for the time being, and I still support them fully. But after this season which has been a relative debacle in futility since October, I think it's not uncalled for to vocalize more scrutiny regarding their decisions, Tippett especially.

Sometimes I wish he'd give line combos more time than one period.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ah, the good old Gretzky strategy.

Visual representation:

1129-powerball_full_600.jpg
300px-Revolving_Door.jpg

Sticking with your favorites for 40 games is understandable. For damn near the whole season? Unforgivable.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Tipp needs to go. With ownership we don't need his "collect the scraps and score 2 goals a game" type of hockey anymore. I can't stand another season of him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bump.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts this time now that we have gone 2 straight seasons without making the playoffs.

I'll just say this, if we don't make the playoffs for the 3rd straight season, I will be calling for Tippett's and Maloney's head.

IF we are in the same boat next year, they will be on the hot seat. No more hiding behind the NHL.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
IF we are in the same boat next year, they will be on the hot seat. No more hiding behind the NHL.

In the bigger picture, we have had new ownership for pretty much a full season now and even during that last season of NHL Ownership, there are moves made that are questionable and some that are flat out stupid. I understand that for Maloney the trade market wasn't working in his favor throughout most of the season but that doesn't give him a free pass just on how he handled a major test in the trade deadline under new ownership which he failed by the way.

Tippett to his credit has managed to do many great things for this franchise since getting canned from Dallas. However, he finds himself once again in a similar situation here like he did in Dallas where he didn't make the playoffs after losing in the WCF. Unlike in Dallas, it's now 2 seasons in a row without making it to the playoffs. Sure, Dallas didn't make the playoffs a few seasons after Tippett was canned but my oh my how now Dallas is in the playoffs and they now have a team that has that fighting spirit we are lacking now that got them over the hump and in. At this rate, Dallas future looks brighter than what we have.

The faith I have in these 2 people are over as I want to see the results I want to see need to happen soon, very soon, like next season. It's unacceptable to be 2 seasons out of a playoff spot after going to WCF previously while a team many of us hate the most(the Kings) continues to get into the playoffs and even went to the WCF last season with a likelihood that they'll get back there again this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad