Dave Tippett's future after not making the playoffs for 2 straight seasons

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Sometimes I wish he'd give line combos more time than one period.

Tippet said during an interview about 3 years ago that he believes in 2 man pairings switching in and out the 3rd line mate rather than 3 man lines. It intrigued me then and to this day I don't see how that is an advantage over a 3 man line.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tippet said during an interview about 3 years ago that he believes in 2 man pairings switching in and out the 3rd line mate rather than 3 man lines. It intrigued me then and to this day I don't see how that is an advantage over a 3 man line.

Well if one of the pair goes down with injury, what then? What about fit? Play style?

This dogmatic crap from Tippett is so annoying. He just has zero adaptability. Hitch, Q, and Babcock all got their teams into the playoffs. Babcock did it with half an NHL team most of the year. Dallas and Anaheim are all within a million of the Coyotes in terms of payroll.

What a **** year.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Well if one of the pair goes down with injury, what then? What about fit? Play style?

This dogmatic crap from Tippett is so annoying. He just has zero adaptability. Hitch, Q, and Babcock all got their teams into the playoffs. Babcock did it with half an NHL team most of the year. Dallas and Anaheim are all within a million of the Coyotes in terms of payroll.

What a **** year.

After this year I thought Tip was up there with Babs but this season Babcock showed why his better. Lost Two of his best players and more. The Red Wings were pretty much the Grand Rapids Wings..still made the playoffs..Tip had similar situation but not on the same scale..almost made the playoffs but almost doesn't count.

MP

Feb 8, 2008

What a **** year.
To be fair, I've seen Red Wings fans accuse Babs of being a "dogmatic," if-it-doesn't-work-just-do-it-harder kind of coach.

If we're assigning blame--which I admit is useless, but for the sake of argument--Maloney deserves more than Tippett. It seems to me like he tried to inject skill into a forward corps consisting mainly of plumbers. It sounds good in principle, but if the shift in chemistry is too jarring, or the injection isn't strong enough, it gives you--with apologies for the mixed metaphor--the same thing you get when you throw different colors of paint into the same bucket: brown. Poo poo brown. The kind of brown you see and wish you'd just kept the colors separate.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Not sure where else to put this but this is something that pertains to the bigger picture here.

Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz · 17h
LeBlanc on 1st full offseason: "For us as a business group, we have no excuses next year. If we don't hit our targets, it's all on us."

Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz · 3h
Offseason actions will speak volumes about #Coyotes' ownership & team's future: http://foxs.pt/1eAfL5Z via @FOXSPORTSAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What a **** year.

Look at their teams players. They have much more talent than us, maybe point a finger at DM.

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
If Tippett were to be asked to leave, I imagine the reaction being similar to the Trotz situation with Nashville. I personally wouldn't want to see DT go.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tip and DM have as much chance of leaving as OEL. Tip will be here through his contract at a minimum.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Tip as a player was a 4th line non descript plumber who wasnt really great at anything and played a very conservative game.
The coyotes are Dave Tippett.
For a smaller budget team he is perfect. I doubt the owners will spend much and will rely on the overachieving mantra.
Tip is a good coach dont get me wrong but his style lends itself to a very boring brand of hockey, even in his days with Dallas.

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
Tippett can't help the fact that he has maybe the worst set of skilled forwards in the nhl. Everyone knows if we don't score on the PP we might not score at all. So for all of you that want one of the best coaches in the league fired, who are you going to hire that's better? Ask any Caps fan and they would tell you they made a HUGE mistake by firing Bruce Boudreau. He got hired the next day and so would Tippett. We have no coaching at the AHL level, so we can't promote. Do you really want one of the re-treads?

Tippett has only gotten better as a coach and has overachieved with what he has. He brought in Newell Brown and let him do his thing. He is going to be named Team Canada's head coach for the World's. Yea, we should really fire that guy.

We need Talent. That falls on the owners to approve the $$. It falls on the scouts to find the talent and Maloney for making the right signings and trades. If Ribeiro ( yes, he was terrible turning over the puck) had anyone with skill playing with him, he would have had 60 pts. We really are a couple of skilled forwards away from being a great team. Maybe that's Domi and Cammalleri. Tippett is a GREAT leader and if you could name 5 better, I'd be surprised.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
GEEZ!
When the Coyotes play a 37 yo center, on a 2-way contract all year long, it tells me that the Coyotes couldn't find an adequate replacement in a fair trade. GMDM's hands were tied because of the lowered cap, there were no trades to be made!!! The Coyotes had holes in their roster.

IMO, the Red Wings would have missed the playoffs if they stayed in the Western Conference...

I wouldn't say either Tippet or Maloney are on the hot seat, but do expect changes to be made this off-season. They need to make the playoffs next season. They could end up on the hot seat if they don't meet expectations.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Transitioning away from "collect scraps and score 2 goals a game" hockey takes time ... can't do it in one season.
Dallas and Anaheim are all within a million of the Coyotes in terms of payroll.

What a **** year.
Look at the last 5 though -- ANA has had their big first line in place for years, and we're working on building one. They have made a ome good first round picks, but Fowler and Lovejoy and Lindholm aren't exactly miles ahead of Gormley and Murphy and OEL. DAL has sucked and rebuilt and re-tooled the last 5 years, so they have a lot of good young pieces on good contracts. They've been flipping veterans for pieces while we've been making the playoffs. DAL is still wretched defensively -- the difference between DAL and PHX this year is that a guy fell on Smith's knee and not Lehtonen's ... it's not like DAL are exactly contenders.
We have no coaching at the AHL level, so we can't promote. Do you really want one of the re-treads?

We need Talent. That falls on the owners to approve the $$. It falls on the scouts to find the talent and Maloney for making the right signings and trades.
Can someone shine some light on this? What's wrong in Portland? Do the coaches there just suck? Do Maloney / Treliving not control that? My opinion: Tipp should have a huge say in who coaches Portland, because (not to be an ******* and disrespect the franchise and its fans), they basically exist to groom players for Tipp.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Tippett can't help the fact that he has maybe the worst set of skilled forwards in the nhl. Everyone knows if we don't score on the PP we might not score at all. So for all of you that want one of the best coaches in the league fired, who are you going to hire that's better? Ask any Caps fan and they would tell you they made a HUGE mistake by firing Bruce Boudreau. He got hired the next day and so would Tippett. We have no coaching at the AHL level, so we can't promote. Do you really want one of the re-treads?

Tippett has only gotten better as a coach and has overachieved with what he has. He brought in Newell Brown and let him do his thing. He is going to be named Team Canada's head coach for the World's. Yea, we should really fire that guy.

We need Talent. That falls on the owners to approve the $$. It falls on the scouts to find the talent and Maloney for making the right signings and trades. If Ribeiro ( yes, he was terrible turning over the puck) had anyone with skill playing with him, he would have had 60 pts. We really are a couple of skilled forwards away from being a great team. Maybe that's Domi and Cammalleri. Tippett is a GREAT leader and if you could name 5 better, I'd be surprised.

Everything I have been unable to articulate these last few days. Amazing post.:handclap:

This team's success begins with talent. We need it. Period. Draft, trades, free agency, period.

We couldn't and wouldn't do better than Tip.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It makes me wonder what effect those "holes" had on the other players. Hesitation when you are trying to figure out how your linesmate would react vs 2nd nature, knowing, and reacting accordingly. And that split second may be perceived as laziness and indifference.

Well, it sure had an effect on Ribs..... but then his wife who "RUNNOFT" during an early road trip most likely didn't help either.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
We need Talent. That falls on the owners to approve the $$.

Our spending this season was $ 57.3 M.
Colorado's was $ 55 M.
Anaheim's was $ 57.2 M.

Money is not the main reason this team failed this season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our spending this season was $ 57.3 M.
Colorado's was $ 55 M.
Anaheim's was $ 57.2 M.

Money is not the main reason this team failed this season.

Are those cap numbers or actual dollars?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad