Dave Tippett's future after not making the playoffs for 2 straight seasons

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Seeing the rise in the criticisms of Dave Tippett and those coming to his defense, I feel this would be a good thread to discuss him and have a poll in the process.

A lot can still happen from now till the end of the Regular Season and hopefully we will make the playoffs. But I have to ask, just in case we don't make the playoffs again, what is his future with the team?

IMO, I don't see him getting canned given his track record with the Coyotes. However, the Coyotes didn't make the playoffs last season and we're under the 1st year of new ownership that has an exit clause in case if the owner can't make this team finically sound. I see Tippett being in the hotseat but that's about it...

Let's keep the poll to Coyotes Fans only please but fans other teams(including Dallas Stars Fans) are welcome to add their take on this topic.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
There is way too much room between the 2nd and 3rd options ... "hot seat" means his job is at risk to start next season and he has years left on his contract.

IA guys have said too many good things about DM and DT ... I think I heard the hyperbole, "the deal wouldn't have gotten done without these two in place" from LeBlanc at some point ... way too quick to be picking apart the hockey operations department that (we were promised) was "in a lock box" last summer.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
There would be a major roster over haul before Tip is ever moved. I don't blame him one bit for how the team has been playing.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
There probably would be something done in 2015 I would say, most likely.

This off-season is a bit early, since the ownership is in place for less than a year; not enough time yet for them to evaluate the organization for major changes.

BY 2015 though, I think there would have to be some reckoning, can't be living with more than 3 years of sub-par performance.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If he is guaranteed his money if he is fired, you can bet he will stay. Ownership is not going to take a bath on his contract just to gamble on a new coach.

I can't stand how he treats young players. "The AHL is for development, not the NHL" is his philosophy. He's a dinosaur. Granted, he is a winning dinosaur. But if you aren't winning, aren't adapting, and aren't developing, why should teams keep you around? He's not a saint, or perfect. He has been fired before.

I would trade/waive his little favorites like Halpern and Schlemko so that he is forced to play younger guys. Maloney needs to have a Moneyball moment with Tippett where he dictates the roster as it should be played. You think this stops at Rundblad? What happens when Domi comes in and isn't a stud defensively? Or if Samuelsson is 100% ready but struggles out of the gate? It's not any one player. Turris was right to ask to get out from under Tippett, even if the manner in which he did it was douchey.

Injuries haven't helped, Smith sucks, and the chemistry is obviously way off this year. But I think it's dishonest to say that Tippett hasn't played a part in that. One thing that must change is how soft this team is. I never want to see OEL get creamed like that and the subsequent lack of response ever again. That was disgusting. It's a sign of how 'into' the games these guys are. As in not at all. I will watch a bad team that tries all day, but I won't watch players just collecting paychecks.

This franchise cannot afford to blow the development of our current crop of young players. I'm not really confident Tippett can develop or even tolerate a player like Domi. None of this would be much of an issue if Tippett was more adaptable but he is set in his ways. Glad I'm not Maloney.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Obviously you can't blame him for not having a talented team, but we had great seasons back to back to back with a ****** roster.

What we can blame Tip for is the lack of intensity, lack of balls, lack of effort, and the fact that nothing ever changes.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Well to be honest, we were pretty awful last year as well. But i think Tipp will work it out... eventually.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He just signed a long-term deal. Would rather spend that $2million per on a roster player than pat that plus whatever you pay a new guy. He's here for min 3 years of that 5 year deal. P.s. We passed on Laviolette when we hired Tippett in the first place.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We have one of the best 5 coaches in the NHL, he has consistently done more with less, our team has burped for a month, and you guys think shooting him is an option. This is insane, all I can say...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
There's no way ownership fires him if he doesn't make the playoffs this season. They'd give him another season. After that... maybe.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Can We afford the cost of keeping Tip? How long will fans show up for a losing team?
That 2011 season is fading fast from memory. Wasn't there a 5 year out on the lease? If the team lost so much money? Well a losing team here is not a money maker.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maloney needs to manage him. Everybody needs a manager now and again. I agree that some of he scrap heap players should be moved. Give him no choice but to work with the young talent. If he won't adapt, let him quit.

Feb 12, 2003
I picked that DT will be fired. The simple explanation is that it's easier to swap out a coach than it is the majority of a team, especially if that majority of the team has tuned out said coach.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Didn't read any responses or vote, but right now it is on our GM to give him a roster to play with. We have done nothing this season to create some change that he can take advantage of.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have one of the best 5 coaches in the NHL, he has consistently done more with less, our team has burped for a month, and you guys think shooting him is an option. This is insane, all I can say...

You are so right.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Really? This is a serious question? Not even a basement team and the coyotes are in the wildcard race. Might not be dominating or having a great season but to call it over for Tip now is a waaaay to early.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
I want to keep Tippett at least over the next season, but just the fact that this question isn't ridiculous anymore is sad.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I said hot seat, not because I think he'll get fired anytime soon, but I do think that he should be taking some responsibility for last season and this season's performance. As much as I love Tip and think he's an excellent coach, he does seem to be part of the common denominator of our problem.

Still think he lives out his contract for obvious financial reasons, and he's definitely not the sole reason for our troubles.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This.

Laviolette.

He knows how to handle young talent.

FYI, Tip would be out of work for 6 seconds. Lavilolette has not been rehired for a reason, because he is not a top 10 coach in the NHL. If he was, he would have been hired by now.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
FYI, Tip would be out of work for 6 seconds. Lavilolette has not been rehired for a reason, because he is not a top 10 coach in the NHL. If he was, he would have been hired by now.

This. He just got passed over for Paul Maurice, whose record is 1 game (now 2 :() over .500.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This room needs a wake up call, and if that's trading someone we don't want to trade, then that's what we should do. If I'm GMDM I'm shipping out or waiving Schlemko and Halpern and thinking about moving core players.
Play Rundblad and at least see what we've got. We have bottom six guys in the system. See where they are at Brown, Lessio, Rieder, even Miele who I don't particular care for (and where the hell is Brandon McMillan if we need a pk'er). Make DT play them. Tell him this season is a lost cause and we want to look at next year. He gets a mulligan, just see where the kids are at. Maybe the kids will actually listen to the coach. Tipp looks as pissed as I am disgusted. And that's a lot.
It looks like we're not making the playoffs this year. Especially if this is what we're getting on the ice. Trade off guys that aren't in the long term plans and some of the fillers and start the auditions. I'd look at major changes in the lineup in the offseason. If we're still brain-dead with no heartbeat, then I think about saving Tippett from an aneurysm by canning him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad