Dave Tippett's future after not making the playoffs for 2 straight seasons

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yet, we have a good offense by virtue of the fact that we are 6th in the NHL in goals scored. A 15-20 game blurb would put us somehwere around the middle of the pack, but we have effectively been a top 10 scoring offense all year.

Try "a good defense makes a poor offense better," and since we don't have a poor offense, that means "a good defense makes a good offense exceptional."

We have won plenty of 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 games in the past. We struggle to win games where we score 2 or 3 goals now.

BTW, Tippett is safe for this year and going forward. All teams go through good and bad times. The only difference between us and the Flyers is that our bad stretch is happening during the middle of the season, and the Flyers happened right from the start. Laviolette was fired 3 games in and the team went 3-6 in their next 9. Then things turned around. This isn't about what the coach is doing - it is about what the players on the ice are doing and what the results are when we deviate from the coaching.

Yeah, why always blame the coach when things go bad? When we were going well no one mentioned how good a job DT was doing, it was all about how good the players are.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Ribeiro has played more even strength minutes than any forward on the team this year, and 51.9% of that time, he's been out with Moss. The next highest forward on Ribeiro's list is Doan at 41.4%.

My word. Tippet wake up. Maloney, wake Tippet up.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Ribeiro has played more even strength minutes than any forward on the team this year, and 51.9% of that time, he's been out with Moss. The next highest forward on Ribeiro's list is Doan at 41.4%.

:facepalm:

Tippett must be confusing Moss with Dave Andreychuk (they do kinda look alike). I'm sure that's a great return on the the 5.5M AAV investment that's supposed to bring creativity and make plays for our forward ranks. I knew he spends a good deal of time with Rib; but didn't realize that he is the #1 paired forward with him.

Seriously, what is Tippett thinking??? Has he seen Moss play; the guy in the offensive zone is at best mostly someone that stands in front of the net and knocks in a few lucky rebounds that some incompetent goalies let out.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I guess the question is, who should he be playing with? The only real finisher on this team is Vrbata, and his center is always going to be Hanzal. I'd prefer to have Ribeiro in the middle.

Doan is his second most common wing, and he'd probably be #1 if he hadn't gotten hurt. A line has three forwards anyway. The only other forward on this team who has real offensive skill is Boedker, and while I thought he looked great playing with Ribeiro and Doan those few games, he's still more of a pass-first guy.

So until another forward comes in, your options beyond Moss are like, Klinkhammer and Korpikoski. If anyone is at fault for Moss getting so many ES minutes with Ribeiro, it's Maloney, not Tippett.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I believe Ribeiro has spent the last couple of games on a line with Doan and Boedker.
Mike has not had much intensity the last little while. He's an older player who is very small. He looks a little worn out. That being said he's a very good playmaker and I'm sure he will rise again.
I wouldnt put to much on Moss. Every team needs grinders like Moss. He's a big guy with hands of stone. These are the types of players you need in a long playoff series.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I believe Ribeiro has spent the last couple of games on a line with Doan and Boedker.
Mike has not had much intensity the last little while. He's an older player who is very small. He looks a little worn out. That being said he's a very good playmaker and I'm sure he will rise again.
I wouldnt put to much on Moss. Every team needs grinders like Moss. He's a big guy with hands of stone. These are the types of players you need in a long playoff series.

They had been together until last night, when Boedker was moved to Klinkhammer/Vermette's line and Doan lined up with Hanzal and Vrbata. That left Korpikoski and Moss for Ribeiro.

I don't think Ribeiro's play this year has much to do with his age. That deliberate pace has always been his style. He likes to slow the play down and find seams that way. That said, his age is getting up there, and the only way the contract he signed will be good for the Coyotes is if he overperforms the first few years of it. If he's barely earning it now, it's going to look terrible by the end.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB

Ribearo is't an intense guy. He's skilled but fairly slow, more of an offensive facilitator. Looks great when you get to dish the puck to Ovy on the powerplay all day, but not so great in a defense system with David Moss as trigger man.

I don't really think Ribearo has another gear to give, unfortunately. Maloney needs to find him a winger who he can actually work with (we all know Vrby isn't leaving Hanzal's side).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ribearo is't an intense guy. He's skilled but fairly slow, more of an offensive facilitator. Looks great when you get to dish the puck to Ovy on the powerplay all day, but not so great in a defense system with David Moss as trigger man.

I don't really think Ribearo has another gear to give, unfortunately. Maloney needs to find him a winger who he can actually work with (we all know Vrby isn't leaving Hanzal's side).

We need NJ to lose about six games in a row in regulation and send us Ryder.

Ideal Ribeiro linemate.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
They had been together until last night, when Boedker was moved to Klinkhammer/Vermette's line and Doan lined up with Hanzal and Vrbata. That left Korpikoski and Moss for Ribeiro.

I don't think Ribeiro's play this year has much to do with his age. That deliberate pace has always been his style. He likes to slow the play down and find seams that way. That said, his age is getting up there, and the only way the contract he signed will be good for the Coyotes is if he overperforms the first few years of it. If he's barely earning it now, it's going to look terrible by the end.

I thought he was a very good addition this year. For the first part of the year particularily when the power play was working this guy was money. For a little guy he's got some nash to his game. But during this losing streak he's mainly floating. That being said I still think he will come out of it and provide some good offense. He has that Gretzky like vision on the ice.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We need NJ to lose about six games in a row in regulation and send us Ryder.

Ideal Ribeiro linemate.

He's not really an ideal Tippett player but I do agree he would be a good sniper with Ribs.
But he has a pretty hefty contract and what makes you think the Yotes ownership is going to loosen the purse strings especially with attendence being the worst in the league. It's going to be interesting how much this group will be willing to spend.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He's not really an ideal Tippett player but I do agree he would be a good sniper with Ribs.
But he has a pretty hefty contract and what makes you think the Yotes ownership is going to loosen the purse strings especially with attendence being the worst in the league. It's going to be interesting how much this group will be willing to spend.

Ryder pro-rated for the remainder of the season I think would be doable without expanding the budget too much. Especially if we can move a roster player or sweeten the pot to get some retention.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012

It a question of how much Their willing to spend. But how much Their allowed to spend with the Cap.

Then you bring up another point Attendance. You ever heard of any teams attendance getting better when they lose? So changed will have to be made some how. Just saying thing will get better doesn't work on most people. Fans want to see what your doing to improve things. Staying the course? And Hope and Pray? That's for Losers. And there is that 5 year out, Right? 1 year down. 4 to go.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Ribeiro hasn't had intensity all season. Your right, Moss is a big guy, so throw your weight around if you can't do anything else. With his size he should be nailing everyone, but no he has like 8 minutes in penalties this year. I don't think anyone on our team who plays regularly has less penalty minutes. What a *****!

rt

May 13, 2004

Ryder has already scored 35 goals in a season on Ribeiro's wing in Dallas a few years back.

He's already been paid more than half of his salary this season. Meaning he's owned less than 1.75m this season.

rt

May 13, 2004
Also...

Two weeks ago:

FSAZ: You are already spending more than you expected on payroll due to a fluid offseason market? Can the team add payroll as it makes new deals, or is it more prudent to hold the line for now until revenue increases?

Gosbee: "We're opportunity driven. We're not shy about spending some money. The problem is a lot of teams are right at the salary cap, a lot more than you've seen in a long, long time, so we'll see what happens, but we're in a very, very good position to seize on some opportunities if they come up."

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/st...ners-george-gosbee-and-anthony-leblanc-123113

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Ryder has already scored 35 goals in a season on Ribeiro's wing in Dallas a few years back.

I was reading some old Stars articles the other night and had read about Ribeiro and Ryder being reunited in Dallas. What I couldn't remember though was how good their chemistry was.

If your and/or Ted could fill me in I would appreciate it. It would be great if Ryder is just the hired gun we need, and potentially available soon.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ribeiro and Ryder became full-time NHLers with the Habs in the same year. They played top line minutes together. Ribeiro finished the year with 65 points (20/45) and Ryder with 63 (25/38). Of course, that was a decade ago, but they're both still productive players today.

I was hoping we'd be able to sign Ryder this past summer. He's an ideal and affordable guy for our Top 6. At worst, he's a 20-goal guy and at his best he can score 30-plus. NJ got him on a great contract too, with just one year remaining at $3.5M.

I'm not as familiar with Ryder's play in Dallas, but having played under Tippett previously should be an added bonus if Maloney & Co. decide to target Ryder through trade. We just have to hope the Devils fall out of the race.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Ribeiro and Ryder became full-time NHLers with the Habs in the same year. They played top line minutes together. Ribeiro finished the year with 65 points (20/45) and Ryder with 63 (25/38). Of course, that was a decade ago, but they're both still productive players today.

I was hoping we'd be able to sign Ryder this past summer. He's an ideal and affordable guy for our Top 6. At worst, he's a 20-goal guy and at his best he can score 30-plus. NJ got him on a great contract too, with just one year remaining at $3.5M.

I'm not as familiar with Ryder's play in Dallas, but having played under Tippett previously should be an added bonus if Maloney & Co. decide to target Ryder through trade. We just have to hope the Devils fall out of the race.

Thanks, didn't realize that Tippett had coached Ryder as well. Seriously, he sounds like a slam dunk. He has 16 goals on the season on already and is looking good. I remember Boston fans complaining about him being so one dimensional though is my only reservation.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thanks, didn't realize that Tippett had coached Ryder as well.

Bah, thought he was in Dallas when Tipp was there - forgot he was a Bruin for a bit too :help:

Tipp was in Dallas from 02-09; Ryder 11-13.

The rest is all good though. Anyone know the Devils' needs? I'd imagine D?

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Bah, thought he was in Dallas when Tipp was there - forgot he was a Bruin for a bit too :help:

Tipp was in Dallas from 02-09; Ryder 11-13.

The rest is all good though. Anyone know the Devils' needs? I'd imagine D?

No, we are actually terrible trade partners for a hockey trade. They are deep on D and D prospects; need wingers, sound familiar?

So I don't know how an actual trade with them could be pulled off, I am terrible at the whole proposal thing, it sure would be nice though...

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Everybody needs to back off the ledge. This past month and a half has been brutal, but a closer look at the numbers suggests the Coyotes have been better than their record indicates.

Travis Yost just published a blog post predicting the second half of the year based on score-adjusted Fenwick. If you're not a stats guy, stay with me here. Fenwick is a fairly simple stat, nothing more than the sum of even strength goals, shots and missed shots (but not blocked shots, like Corsi), and score-adjusted Fenwick corrects for the fact that a team plays a lot differently when it's losing by two versus when it's winning by two. At any rate, score-adjusted Fenwick has been shown to offer a high degree of predictability from a relatively small sample season (like half a season, for example).

Why does this matter? The Coyotes just happen to have the fifth best score-adjusted Fenwick in their conference over the second quarter of the season (Dec. 13 through today). The raw number is 52.45, which is an uptick of about 4 full points from the first quarter, the largest growth for any Western Conference team.

Does that mean the Coyotes are a lock to make the playoffs? Of course not. But they're currently still in 9th, and if they play the way they've been playing, odds are they'll be able to work their way in.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Thanks, didn't realize that Tippett had coached Ryder as well. Seriously, he sounds like a slam dunk. He has 16 goals on the season on already and is looking good. I remember Boston fans complaining about him being so one dimensional though is my only reservation.

He is one dimensional for sure and the type of player that in the playoffs is more of a liability.
But the team has plenty of guys who can muck it up without offering offense. Ryder would be a good addition provided we dont give up much but why would the Devils trade this guy?

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I don't agree with it but I see him being fired if we miss the playoffs again.

As far as the budget goes, Gosbee tweeted last night that money is not an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad