Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Note in Simmons column in Tor Sun that Kings were looking at Tippett if Suter hadn't re-signed before Tippett signed extension.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Nah he'd stay in the booth, agm and color guy, first ever.

I'd be for promoting him if it got him off the broadcast. Sadly, we can't afford a broadcaster AND an AGM, so you're right, he'd probably pull double duty like Tipp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Note in Simmons column in Tor Sun that Kings were looking at Tippett if Suter hadn't re-signed before Tippett signed extension.

I thought DT still had a year on his deal before the extension?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought DT still had a year on his deal before the extension?

He had 2 or possibly even 3years as he was extended for 5 years originally before the new deal. Who knows how accurate Simmons is. Also still not sure if Tippett had an out clause. Point is moot anyways.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yeah, but who with any sort of experience is going to want to play second fiddle to Chayka? My guess is that if they do hire an AGM it's going to be someone young and off the reservation, and they'll make lots of noise about how they're impressed with his intelligence if not his dues paid in the sport, etc. etc. etc.

I could be wrong. Maybe Les Jackson decides that being a mentor sounds fun. But thus far IA has exactly one hire under their belts, and said hire went from basically running spreadsheets to NHL GM in less than a year.

There are only 30 AGM jobs in the NHL. They can find somebody qualified for this position. Being an AGM is not rocket science. Any negotiations over contract dollars or term is really about value from the teams perspective and the player perspective. Making sure you don't over pay and understanding what you are getting is the key, not that hard, and is actually a very analytical approach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There are only 30 AGM jobs in the NHL. They can find somebody qualified for this position. Being an AGM is not rocket science. Any negotiations over contract dollars or term is really about value from the teams perspective and the player perspective. Making sure you don't over pay and understanding what you are getting is the key, not that hard, and is actually a very analytical approach.

I have to disagree with you here Cobra. It is no where as easy as you think, and if it was, you or I could do it, which we can't. :)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

It's not about how hard the job is, it's about who they're looking for for the position and what they want the guy to do for Chayka.

Yes, they could pick up a guy off the street (and based on their hiring strategies so far, that seems likely :sarcasm:) and he'd likely not muff up the job too much. But they're looking for a mentor figure for Chayka, and that's a whole different ball of wax.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have to disagree with you here Cobra. It is no where as easy as you think, and if it was, you or I could do it, which we can't. :)

We aren't qualified to do it. There are way more then 30 guys in the USA qualified to do the job, that is my point. It won't be hard to find the right fit.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We aren't qualified to do it. There are way more then 30 guys in the USA qualified to do the job, that is my point. It won't be hard to find the right fit.

Thought that about the GM position as well, I bet...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It proves how respected he is. Something you and others can't seem to grasp.

He'd be a pretty good fit in LA. If they had a list of options, he'd have to be on it. That seems like a non event.

Still doesn't make him a good coach or GM for the Coyotes, Jake

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
And sure enough, if Nash got the position, the Pro-Tippett crowd will do their worst to defend such a move. "Tippett is such a great mind of Talent" "Nothing wrong with this hire as Nash knows his hockey while you keyboard GM's know nothing".

And so we wait until Moss comes back to sign a 5 year $30 million deal as he improved on his good guy image in Switzerland. :sarcasm:

I'm guessing you'd consider me Pro Tippett, and this idea of blind support is ridiculous.
I, and I'm guessing many others you consider Pro Tippett don't think in that bizarre fashion. The anti-Tipp crowd is a lot more ideological in how they view the team.

I, like others, defend Tipp with real reasons. While a lot(not all) of the anti-tipp crowd, is based on opinions that don't consider the whole picture, or opinions that people have formed over speculation.

Like the idea that he is a horrendous coach just because he's missed the playoffs for 4 years, completely ignoring the circumstances of the last 4 years......

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm guessing you'd consider me Pro Tippett, and this idea of blind support is ridiculous.
I, and I'm guessing many others you consider Pro Tippett don't think in that bizarre fashion. The anti-Tipp crowd is a lot more ideological in how they view the team.

I, like others, defend Tipp with real reasons. While a lot(not all) of the anti-tipp crowd, is based on opinions that don't consider the whole picture, or opinions that people have formed over speculation.

Like the idea that he is a horrendous coach just because he's missed the playoffs for 4 years, completely ignoring the circumstances of the last 4 years......

Cool, let's keep drawing battle lines like this. Why not make separate threads while we're at it? This is exactly what forum 40 needs more of - people generalizing and painting others with broad strokes.

Making the strawman argument that people think he's a "horrendous" coach isn't demonstrating a lot of self-awareness or understanding on your part. Nobody is making that argument. Just the same, some of the circumstances can be used against him (like lobbying for Ribeiro) rather than as a defense of his increasingly bad results.

I'd love to hear what you consider a 'real' reason vs what is speculation.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Cool, let's keep drawing battle lines like this. Why not make separate threads while we're at it? This is exactly what forum 40 needs more of - people generalizing and painting others with broad strokes.

Making the strawman argument that people think he's a "horrendous" coach isn't demonstrating a lot of self-awareness or understanding on your part. Nobody is making that argument. Just the same, some of the circumstances can be used against him (like lobbying for Ribeiro) rather than as a defense of his increasingly bad results.

I'd love to hear what you consider a 'real' reason vs what is speculation.

Quite hypocritical your first paragraph, no?

It isn't a strawman argument. There have been many examples of people talking about why they think Tipp is a bad coach. Was my choice of the word horrendous a bit of a hyperbole? Yes. But it is not a strawman argument.

Signing Ribeiro alone did not make that roster good no matter what expectations Tipp or DM had of him. Could've been Crosby instead of Riberio and that roster would've been weak.

Currently I do not see there really being any strong, real critiques of his coaching. He's coming off a year where the team exceeded expectations. There are some critques that aren't coaching related that are valid like his salary/contract.

Speculation comes when people seem to take it as fact that Tipp wants to throw the prospect pool away for success in the next couple years. `

On this forum I really do not see many good points as to why people are so Anti-Tipp. It seems more like an ideology people have bought it into and have become way too biased to look at it subjectively.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
He'd be a pretty good fit in LA. If they had a list of options, he'd have to be on it. That seems like a non event.

Still doesn't make him a good coach or GM for the Coyotes, Jake

Exactly. I think given recent events (and dt himself) would admit he's not the best coach for a rebuilding team. But a team that's playoff ready he's scary good.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015

It isn't a strawman argument. There have been many examples of people talking about why they think Tipp is a bad coach. Was my choice of the word horrendous a bit of a hyperbole? Yes. But it is not a strawman argument.

Signing Ribeiro alone did not make that roster good no matter what expectations Tipp or DM had of him. Could've been Crosby instead of Riberio and that roster would've been weak.

Currently I do not see there really being any strong, real critiques of his coaching. He's coming off a year where the team exceeded expectations. There are some critques that aren't coaching related that are valid like his salary/contract.

Speculation comes when people seem to take it as fact that Tipp wants to throw the prospect pool away for success in the next couple years. `

On this forum I really do not see many good points as to why people are so Anti-Tipp. It seems more like an ideology people have bought it into and have become way too biased to look at it subjectively.

My personal criticism is the same as it was when he coached dallas and got fired. Young, skilled players get garbage ice time while the chip/moss/grossmans of the world get more than they can handle. Our greatest strength right now is young, skilled forward prospects...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I avoid putting people in camps. It's pretty clear what side of the issue I fall on, but I don't care if anyone follows or if others have a different take. If you post, it will be discussed, and you shouldn't take it so personally.

It absolutely is. I challenge you to find a post from someone (not gra) that thinks he's a genuinely awful coach. I know that I even temper my comments by admitting he's good at the day to day. He's stable. But there's 30 teams in this league, many of them with coaches just as good or better than Tippett. If you look at the measurables, Tippett really doesn't stack up, so I'm curious as to what evidence you have that makes him above reproach. You're confusing the belief that he is a bad or suboptimal fit with him being a bad coach. Nobody is a really bad coach at this level.

That's nice. Tippett can still be judged based on how he uses the tools he is given. He can also be judged for his off ice antics, like lobbying for players that turn out to be major setbacks for the organization (or threatening to leave). This can all be used to project future behavior and discuss the merits of what has happened. None of the criticism leveled at him is unreasonable, or a fabrication. All the kvetching about the future is legitimate - there's ample reason for concern, based on past behavior. "wait and see" isn't going to fly with people like myself that have been through this before with Gretzky.

Currently I do not see there really being any strong, real critiques of his coaching. He's coming off a year where the team exceeded expectations.

I don't see any strong positives for him on this forum that go beyond blind faith, both in him and ownership. See how easy that is?

The team exceeded expectations, but that had very little to do with Tippett if you actually look at things. He didn't deploy the rookies optimally, overplayed a terrible mopey Boedker, and had an ongoing infatuation with players that were clearly detrimental like Grossmann. We're talking about a coach that lobbies for and usually gets a roster that he is comfortable with, then he delivers increasingly inconsistent years with them. Despite having a stronger year points wise, the team was all over the map in terms of actual performance on the ice. Normally, you'd chalk that up to being a young team, but it was often the young players carrying the sadsack veterans around most of the year.

He doesn't adapt. That makes his teams extremely easy to play against as the years go on. The man is coasting by on reputation at this point, nothing more. He chose to stage a coup and lobby for Maloney to get fired, which was successful. Now we all get to witness what an organization that fully indulges Dave Tippett is like after he basically did nothing to earn it. People have every right to be upset about that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

There are only a handful of posters that are anti Tip, but they post the same biased negative comments no matter what, over and over again. If the Coyotes win the pacific next year and have 100 points, they will still hate Tip. The argument will be that the team did well in spite of him.

I liked DM but understand the change in philosophy, and changes in management. I like Tip because his teams have mostly met or beat expectations, like last year. If Tip's team misses expectations for a few years, he will get shot like BB and TMac, as he should. In spite of the constant barrage of negative posts, I think the team has a bright future on the ice for the next handful of years.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The last post I read was one of the funniest things I've ever read. The biggest culprit of them all wants to make nice.... But not really! :laugh:
It's like some people can't read their own words, or at least comprehend them.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
There are only a handful of posters that are anti Tip, but they post the same biased negative comments no matter what, over and over again. If the Coyotes win the pacific next year and have 100 points, they will still hate Tip. The argument will be that the team did well in spite of him.

I liked DM but understand the change in philosophy, and changes in management. I like Tip because his teams have mostly met or beat expectations, like last year. If Tip's team misses expectations for a few years, he will get shot like BB and TMac, as he should. In spite of the constant barrage of negative posts, I think the team has a bright future on the ice for the next handful of years.

If we make the playoffs next year it'll be don moloneys credit. Not tipps.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
To all of the Coyotes fans who never posted here but are reading this board on the matters of ownership and management, I want to apologize for the non-sense all of you hand to read from the unjustified all out support of ownership and management. I know from speaking to the Coyotes fans in public that all of you are in disgust over what took place in recent history outside of the good things the youth have done. I'm glad to see none of you get caught up in the bs and should continue to call out the bs when it shows up and that includes anything posted in the local media and whatever is said by the Coyotes Broadcast Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille