Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He's not even a good coach. He's a worse talent evaluator

That opinion aside, I think we should consider that there just may not have been another coach willing to sign here. DT was able to play hard ball and our foolish group overpaid him.

Again, time will tell how this pans out, but being paid more than Sutter doesn't cast their decision in a very good light.

As for your opinion? He really hasn't had the kind of talent to work with that Sutter has and apparently didn't have much influence on the talent that he did have to work with. Time will tell regarding this, as is the recurring theme.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know. For me, most of the years I had season tickets were worth the money because I got to spend time with my kids at the games. I wouldn't trade that away for anything. So for me it was a good investment.

Excellent point TFP. I was thinking financially, but having attended nearly every game for twelve years with my son (six of those when he was battling cancer), I've got to admit that I absolutely and positively cherish each and everyone of those games. In fact there is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about being at a game with him and wish that it could still be.

Excellent point indeed.... life's not all about money.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
That opinion aside, I think we should consider that there just may not have been another coach willing to sign here. DT was able to play hard ball and our foolish group overpaid him.

Again, time will tell how this pans out, but being paid more than Sutter doesn't cast their decision in a very good light.

As for your opinion? He really hasn't had the kind of talent to work with that Sutter has and apparently didn't have much influence on the talent that he did have to work with. Time will tell regarding this, as is the recurring theme.

I still think that ownership just blindly offered up Tips contract without knowing any better and Tip was ecstatic to take it. He sure as hell wouldn't have gotten even half that elsewhere.

Before all the "that's speculation/you have no inside info" posts come, I acknowledge both those points, however I'd prefer a blind rabbit coach the team next year than Dave Tippet. I'm sure we could have found one of them willing to sign for a few carrots, save the team millions and get a better product.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I still think that ownership just blindly offered up Tips contract without knowing any better and Tip was ecstatic to take it. He sure as hell wouldn't have gotten even half that elsewhere.

Before all the "that's speculation/you have no inside info" posts come, I acknowledge both those points, however I'd prefer a blind rabbit coach the team next year than Dave Tippet. I'm sure we could have found one of them willing to sign for a few carrots, save the team millions and get a better product.

Seems a bit over the top, but if Monty Python and the Holy Grail taught me anything, it would be to never underestimate a rabbit! :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He's not even a good coach. He's a worse talent evaluator

He's a good coach. The debate was and continues to be how his coaching approach weighs short term goals vs longer term goals of player development. Hence the well deserved concern of giving him more authority over decisions on young prospects in the system.

1mjp

May 13, 2016
Really, how do NHL coaches--even the cup winning ones--get these extensions? There is a 90% chance they get fired before it ends.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Really, how do NHL coaches--even the cup winning ones--get these extensions? There is a 90% chance they get fired before it ends.

...and, depending on how they do, getting signed elsewhere to knock the old contract out.

Perhaps that's the plan here, give Tippett plenty of rope (5 years worth). If he does well, spectacular, if he does mediocre, fire him (and hope someone else signs him to wipeout the long-term contract). Of course Tippett might do what Maloney may, sit back and count the money until the previous contract ends and then seek employment.

I wonder what happens if he's fired as a coach, does he still remain the Executive VP of Hockey Operations?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I wonder what happens if he's fired as a coach, does he still remain the Executive VP of Hockey Operations?

They only way he will fired as a coach under his contract, is if he gets a "promotion" to the POHO or something above EVPHO.

If that happens, then Jim Playfair is your next head coach ladies and gentlemen.

Personally, I pray to god Tip learns how to run an offense. If not, they may as well just trade off all the prospects for scrap heap for all that I care

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's a good coach. The debate was and continues to be how his coaching approach weighs short term goals vs longer term goals of player development. Hence the well deserved concern of giving him more authority over decisions on young prospects in the system.

Yeah? Put his resume on paper and look at it compared to his peers. He's been around a long time. I'll give him that. But in terms of overal results? Maybe above average? Now look at how he's been rewarded. Toby Rieder is a good player. If they gave him an 8yr deal for 50mil and a full NMC you'd have the roster equivalent of DT as he stands today.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah? Put his resume on paper and look at it compared to his peers. He's been around a long time. I'll give him that. But in terms of overal results? Maybe above average? Now look at how he's been rewarded. Toby Rieder is a good player. If they gave him an 8yr deal for 50mil and a full NMC you'd have the roster equivalent of DT as he stands today.

And if you did that it wouldn't mean that Rieder isn't a good player. Nor does Tippett being overpaid mean that he isn't a good coach.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And if you did that it wouldn't mean that Rieder isn't a good player. Nor does Tippett being overpaid mean that he isn't a good coach.

Maybe Chipchura would've been a better example. Haha. :)

He's been outcoached since LA ran him over in the WCFs. His teams have been easily figured out, predicted, mitigated and dispatched with ever since. He hasn't changed, adapted or progressed. He's stubborn, rigid, outdated, and ineffective. His record over the last four seasons is worse than Wayne Gretzky's was. He's easy to coach against and his teams are easy to play against.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He's been outcoached since LA ran him over in the WCFs. His teams have been easily figured out, predicted, mitigated and dispatched with ever since. He hasn't changed, adapted or progressed. He's stubborn, rigid, outdated, and ineffective. His record over the last four seasons is worse than Wayne Gretzky's was. He's easy to coach against and his teams are easy to play against.

I disagree. Do you really think Doan would have come back for another year if he thought the ownership was not stable or the coaches clueless? He doesn't need the frustration or the money at this time in his career. I have heard him more than once state how great DT and NB are as coaches. Doan says it like it is, he doesn't hold no punches and he doesn't have to at this stage in his career. I would take his opinion over anyone on these boards. I haven't heard mention Playfair though.:)

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

No, but the results would show he's a fairly mediocre coach. The fat payday he just got makes his mediocrity even more apparent as people look for a way to justify such a large raise.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
No, but the results would show he's a fairly mediocre coach. The fat payday he just got makes his mediocrity even more apparent as people look for a way to justify such a large raise.

I don't shy away from controversial statement:dunno: that get a conversation going, they need to be based on some truth however, but I don't know of anyone attempting to justify DT's pay day? :dunno:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Haha - not like all those element of surprise coaches!

Yep, you've convinced me, he's a real has been, a dinosaur! :laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

But we're not allowed to say anything bad about Tippett even it's it true but instead to drink the kool-aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA