Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I disagree. Do you really think Doan would have come back for another year if he thought the ownership was not stable or the coaches clueless? He doesn't need the frustration or the money at this time in his career. I have heard him more than once state how great DT and NB are as coaches. Doan says it like it is, he doesn't hold no punches and he doesn't have to at this stage in his career. I would take his opinion over anyone on these boards. I haven't heard mention Playfair though.:)

:blah:

Uh, WTF does Shane Doan have to do with RT said?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Shane Doan has literally never said anything publicly negative about anyone ever. Worst example of "telling it like it is" person possible. He wants to make millions playing professional hockey. He doesn't want to move. This means he has literally one option for employer.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Shane Doan has literally never said anything publicly negative about anyone ever. Worst example of "telling it like it is" person possible. He wants to make millions playing professional hockey. He doesn't want to move. This means he has literally one option for employer.

It seems he would choose to say nothing however, as opposed to being complimentary.

Wouldn't you agree?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Shane Doan wants to play hockey because he loves the game. It's no longer about getting cups or awards. It's about having fun and as long as he sees he can do that he'll play for whomever will let him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Shane Doan wants to play hockey because he loves the game. It's no longer about getting cups or awards. It's about having fun and as long as he sees he can do that he'll play for whomever will let him.

Incorrect. He won't play for anyone outside of Arizona. He'd retire before he'd leave.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Incorrect. He won't play for anyone outside of Arizona. He'd retire before he'd leave.

You don't know that. If his family was okay with it he'd go. Besides, I didn't specify outside of AZ did I??

First rule.... Never assume.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You don't know that. If his family was okay with it he'd go. Besides, I didn't specify outside of AZ did I??

First rule.... Never assume.

You assumed he no longer wants a cup or rewards.:)
IF Doan didn't like what was happening with the FO or if he didn't like DT as coach he would just retire. He doesn't need the grieve, and besides, he said he was having fun, and I doubt you can do that if you don't like the coach. My opinion.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
You assumed he no longer wants a cup or rewards.:)
IF Doan didn't like what was happening with the FO or if he didn't like DT as coach he would just retire. He doesn't need the grieve, and besides, he said he was having fun, and I doubt you can do that if you don't like the coach. My opinion.

You assume that Doan didn't have any other options besides retirement or Coyotes and this is incorrect seeing that in the past that Vancouver was an option.

Also, again, WTF does Doan have to do with what rt said a few posts ago?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No, but the results would show he's a fairly mediocre coach. The fat payday he just got makes his mediocrity even more apparent as people look for a way to justify such a large raise.

Tippett is not a mediocre coach. He's a good coach. Not a great one, but a good one.

The fat payday he got is because IceArizona has a real problem negotiating with or signing deals with anyone in the hockey fraternity. They know it. Why else would they throw so much money at Tip? Because they know they likely aren't in the running for anyone else of any quality. Why make Drummond president of hockey ops? Because they have no shot at anyone else. Why name Chayka as GM when they said they wanted to talk to other candidates? Because they had no shot at those other guys.

I would not be surprised at all if they end up without an experienced AGM to back up Chayka. Maybe, though, they'll be able to BS someone into taking the gig. We'll see.

But they threw Tippett the reins and gave him the bank because they had no other option.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You assume that Doan didn't have any other options besides retirement or Coyotes and this is incorrect seeing that in the past that Vancouver was an option.

Also, again, WTF does Doan have to do with what rt said a few posts ago?

Unbelievable. Like talking to a brick wall.:banghead:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Tippett is not a mediocre coach. He's a good coach. Not a great one, but a good one.

The fat payday he got is because IceArizona has a real problem negotiating with or signing deals with anyone in the hockey fraternity. They know it. Why else would they throw so much money at Tip? Because they know they likely aren't in the running for anyone else of any quality. Why make Drummond president of hockey ops? Because they have no shot at anyone else. Why name Chayka as GM when they said they wanted to talk to other candidates? Because they had no shot at those other guys.

I would not be surprised at all if they end up without an experienced AGM to back up Chayka. Maybe, though, they'll be able to BS someone into taking the gig. We'll see.

But they threw Tippett the reins and gave him the bank because they had no other option.

Sad, but most likely true.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think that is true. Let's wait until the dust settles before we all jump to pie in the sky conclusions. NHL FO positions are very prestigious jobs and all pay very well. There will always be young up and comers that have great qualifications ready for a shot.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't think that is true. Let's wait until the dust settles before we all jump to pie in the sky conclusions. NHL FO positions are very prestigious jobs and all pay very well. There will always be young up and comers that have great qualifications ready for a shot.

Well, we can't be certain how / why Chayka got there. Lets hope he's as impressive as they're telling us.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I disagree. Do you really think Doan would have come back for another year if he thought the ownership was not stable or the coaches clueless? He doesn't need the frustration or the money at this time in his career. I have heard him more than once state how great DT and NB are as coaches. Doan says it like it is, he doesn't hold no punches and he doesn't have to at this stage in his career. I would take his opinion over anyone on these boards. I haven't heard mention Playfair though.:)

Saying that Doan doesn't hold punches is pure speculation on your part, unless you can prove he holds no punches?

Also, far more players have praised NB than DT, curious, no?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, but who with any sort of experience is going to want to play second fiddle to Chayka? My guess is that if they do hire an AGM it's going to be someone young and off the reservation, and they'll make lots of noise about how they're impressed with his intelligence if not his dues paid in the sport, etc. etc. etc.

I could be wrong. Maybe Les Jackson decides that being a mentor sounds fun. But thus far IA has exactly one hire under their belts, and said hire went from basically running spreadsheets to NHL GM in less than a year.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

I think it would have been easier to get a GM to come here if our owners didn't immediately say DT would be getting more say in everything including player personnel. Why would they say this before even talking to GMs and seeing who they could get? The second a GM knows they are going to answer to a coach -- their subordinate -- they are going to be far more inclined to go elsewhere. No GM wants to answer to the coach, it is supposed to be the other way around.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This just in...

Tyson Nash to serve as new AGM for the Arizona Coyotes. "After a long and diligent search and multiple interviews with some of the more prestigious options available, we realize that Nasher is the best option for the team moving forward and shows dedication to our model going forward: Cooperation.Communication.Innovation"

:laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This just in...

Tyson Nash to serve as new AGM for the Arizona Coyotes. "After a long and diligent search and multiple interviews with some of the more prestigious options available, we realize that Nasher is the best option for the team moving forward and shows dedication to our model going forward: Cooperation.Communication.Innovation"

A few months ago I would've known for sure this is a joke. Today I'm not 100% sure.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A few months ago I would've known for sure this is a joke. Today I'm not 100% sure.

And sure enough, if Nash got the position, the Pro-Tippett crowd will do their worst to defend such a move. "Tippett is such a great mind of Talent" "Nothing wrong with this hire as Nash knows his hockey while you keyboard GM's know nothing".

And so we wait until Moss comes back to sign a 5 year $30 million deal as he improved on his good guy image in Switzerland. :sarcasm:

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I'd actually prefer Nash as AGM than have to listen to him commentate every game :laugh:

Might as well make this thing as entertaining as possible. "And why wouldn't we!?"

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This just in...

"Yah, Chayks, let's draft that boy McLeod - he brings da pizza with da pepperonis!"

I'd actually be okay with this because it'd get Nash out of the booth. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad