Dave Hakstol Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“Quenneville still elects to switch to the 1-2-2 a bit earlier in games than he probably should, often choosing to have the Blackhawks spend the entire third period in a defensive shell if they have any sort of lead. This has come back to bite Chicago in the past, especially in the first round against the St. Louis Blues.”
https://thehockeywriters.com/blackhawks-will-defeat-wild-if-they-commit-to-this-one-thing/

Sound familiar? Hahaha. I’m finding such humor in die-hard anti-Hak posters fervently pushing for a coach who shares many of the traits they constantly bash of Hakstol.

Similar to Gallant, who got canned in Florida because he was upset they traded a big, physical defenseman for a fast skilled forward and didn't want to use analytics. Goes to Vegas where he coaches one of the oldest teams in the league and has a big first year with MAF playing out of his gourd, we'll see how they look this year if MAF doesn't get it together.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Similar to Gallant, who got canned in Florida because he was upset they traded a big, physical defenseman for a fast skilled forward and didn't want to use analytics. Goes to Vegas where he coaches one of the oldest teams in the league and has a big first year with MAF playing out of his gourd, we'll see how they look this year if MAF doesn't get it together.
So, so, so much of whether a coach is deemed “good” or “bad” depends on his goaltending.

The vet coach I’d take here is Hitchcock (or Tippett, but that ain’t happening) because they actually have long records of making their goalies better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall is supposed to do what he thinks is best for the organization. Not what's going to keep him as GM as long as possible.

He already has the Executive VP (or whatever) title. His place in the organization is safe forever if he wants it. Just like Holmgren & Clarke.
Those are one in the same...

Surely he thinks him staying as GM is what's best for the team since obviously he thinks his strategy is the best strategy (if he didn't, it wouldn't be his strategy).

Staying as GM is necessary to see it through.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I really would like more pro-Q, anti-Hak posters to address this one:
“Quenneville still elects to switch to the 1-2-2 a bit earlier in games than he probably should, often choosing to have the Blackhawks spend the entire third period in a defensive shell if they have any sort of lead. This has come back to bite Chicago in the past, especially in the first round against the St. Louis Blues.”
https://thehockeywriters.com/blackhawks-will-defeat-wild-if-they-commit-to-this-one-thing/

Sound familiar? Hahaha. I’m finding such humor in die-hard anti-Hak posters fervently pushing for a coach who shares many of the traits they constantly bash of Hakstol.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
i mean this is the reason why the flyers were good so many years because we always hired good coaches, after lavy, this team has never been the same. the flyers need to go back to getting quality coaches, no more inexperience, no playoff coaches. if it doesnt work out, rinse and repeat, that's all you can do.
John Stevens was a quality coach?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This should be anyone's last straw moment for Hextall. You can't skip by two available cup winning coaches in less than a year to keep the trainwrecks you have unless you truly are an insane egomaniacal ****bag fiddling while your team burns.

Yeah let's go kill him

Reactions: Amorgus

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Those are one in the same...

Surely he thinks him staying as GM is what's best for the team since obviously he thinks his strategy is the best strategy (if he didn't, it wouldn't be his strategy).

Staying as GM is necessary to see it through.

That's not neccessarily true. It's a risk / reward thing. Just like drafting.

He could just make a safe hire. Someone he thinks, with a high degree of certainty, will do a competent job. Or he could swing for the fences and go with the guy with the highest percent chance to actually win a Stanley Cup, but may have a larger bust factor because of inexperience or whatever else.. Of course, there are many shades of grey in between.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Actually, my dream scenario is that Tampa ragefires Cooper to snatch up Q before anyone else can, then Hexy - who worked with Coop and liked him at the World Champs (or whatever that was) - hires Coop. That's the dream.

Cooper reminds me of Michael Keaton.

Sorry...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Cooper reminds me of Michael Keaton.

Sorry...

72Qy.gif

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
you dont want q here, then who?
That was a reference to “genus” & Spinal Tap at the zoo. YouTube it.

Anyway, I reluctantly said that for a vet coach I’d take Hitchcock. He’ll bitch them out of their stupid mistakes, plus has the rare ability to make goalies better — which they need. I’d consider Tippett, but he’s staying in Seattle.
Otherwise, not sure.
I like Knob in theory, but worry the vets will walk all over him.
There’s got to be an innovator out there, in junior or minors, who also has some life to him.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
That was a reference to “genus” & Spinal Tap at the zoo. YouTube it.

Anyway, I reluctantly said that for a vet coach I’d take Hitchcock. He’ll ***** them out of their stupid mistakes, plus has the rare ability to make goalies better — which they need. I’d consider Tippett, but he’s staying in Seattle.
Otherwise, not sure.
I like Knob in theory, but worry the vets will walk all over him.
There’s got to be an innovator out there, in junior or minors, who also has some life to him.
Time for a vet coach that's forsure.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
As for the “Hakshell,” they actually DID drop into a classic 1-2-2 with the point at the offensive blueline rather than their typical two man forecheck deep, 3rd man high, when they were up 3 in the 3rd last night. Which I have no problem with. But it’s been very rare for them to do that any earlier than the last few minutes with a lead in the 3rd.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's not neccessarily true. It's a risk / reward thing. Just like drafting.

He could just make a safe hire. Someone he thinks, with a high degree of certainty, will do a competent job. Or he could swing for the fences and go with the guy with the highest percent chance to actually win a Stanley Cup, but may have a larger bust factor because of inexperience or whatever else.. Of course, there are many shades of grey in between.
Well sure, which one is the right choice is debatable, but my point was I don’t buy that it’s just selfish reasons at the expense of the team.

As flawed as they are and as much as I disagree with some of his actions, I have no reason to believe he isn’t doing what he thinks is best.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh, you weren’t referencing the article on Q’s Shell?

I was. I also didn’t remark on Q because I don’t have a strong opinion on hiring him and have said zilch on the subject. I remarked on Hakstol.

You seemed fake incensed that Q runs a “shell” and asked who that sounds like. Since I’ve been assured that the “Hakstol shell” is a myth, I don’t know who that sounds like. Perhaps the Q shell might be a myth too. Someone contact Mythbusters.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Well sure, which one is the right choice is debatable, but my point was I don’t buy that it’s just selfish reasons at the expense of the team.

As flawed as they are and as much as I disagree with some of his actions, I have no reason to believe he isn’t doing what he thinks is best.

I agree, he likely has. The Schenn trade is exhibit 'A'.

Unfortunately, not all GM's operate like that. We've seen a hundred times over when GM's make stupid deals trying to save a job.

I don't even know what we're disagreeing about at this point. :dunno:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad