Dave Hakstol Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm curious, how long are you willing to wait for Hextall to fire Hakstol? Will you be against firing Hexy no matter what happens with Hakstol?
Depends on his actions with the roster and drafting. I think those aspects of his job are more important to the future of the team so I place more value on them than the coaching management.

I'll be extremely unhappy if he doesn't fire him before the start of next season but whether or not it would be enough for me to want Hextall fired would depend on how this season ends up and what the roster looks like next year.

More than anything I'm worried the next guy would mess up the roster and everything we've tolerated during this rebuild would have been for nothing. We currently have someone I trust with the roster building so I'm extremely uneasy with the idea of getting rid of him. There's enough bad GMs out there, who are awful at building rosters and drafting, that my confidence in finding one better is pretty low and I really hate the idea of risking it. And who's to say they'd be any better at finding a good coach?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean seriously, what team diagnoses the coach as the problem and then goes ahead and nukes the roster too? At that point the GM should absolutely be fired for assembling the wrong roster with the wrong coach. That's pure incompetence.

Pittsburgh?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I will be there Saturday night dave with a sign . "Fire Hakstol! And a paper bag on my head .

tenor.gif

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Why would we blow it up?

If we fire the coach? How many teams blow it up that are supposed to be competitive when they can the coach. It’s just a way of deflecting the real issue at hand. Our coach is terrible. But keep blaming the players for this teams struggles.

Also, I think a few might get slightly confused. I’m not saying there isn’t blame to go around for the players. It’s clear as day though that Hakstol is in way over his head.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Trading one or two high-value players for another one or two high-value players isn't "blowing it up" unless you are trading them for futures like picks and/or prospects. I see nothing wrong with believing the roster needs a significant change or two in addition to the coaching -- the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Trading one or two high-value players for another one or two high-value players isn't "blowing it up" unless you are trading them for futures like picks and/or prospects. I see nothing wrong with believing the roster needs a significant change or two in addition to the coaching -- the two aren't mutually exclusive.
I’ve stated before I would trade Voracek in the correct situation. I’m not immune to making changes. Players need to be accountable as well. That should come after the firing of a head coach who just isn’t nhl material.

Ghost/Giroux, nope. I’m not moving them. Because the moment we do we will be looking for another ghost. It’s counter productive.

@deadhead the comment was directed at too. He believes if you fire Hakstol we need to blow it up. Which would mean the rebuild will be taking 7-8 years then. Which is laughable.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Hakstol's system and player usage are so bad that it's a supremely poor move to make major changes before you see what the roster can do when handled by a real coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Blowing it up" doesn't mean trading for more draft picks, rather, trading for young NHL ready prospects who'll be hitting their peak in 2020-21 when the young goalies arrive and the team hits critical mass.

It also means accumulating assets to target a player like Stone, etc.

And changing the mindset of the team, just firing the coach doesn't really do that, since the core has now been through three coaches, at some point you have to change the actors as well as the script.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"Blowing it up" doesn't mean trading for more draft picks, rather, trading for young NHL ready prospects who'll be hitting their peak in 2020-21 when the young goalies arrive and the team hits critical mass.

It also means accumulating assets to target a player like Stone, etc.

And changing the mindset of the team, just firing the coach doesn't really do that, since the core has now been through three coaches, at some point you have to change the actors as well as the script.

Two of those coaches have been absolute garbage. They did better before Lavi ran out of ideas.

Their current mindset is one the coach has built in them. New coach brings new mindset.

We really do not know what this roster can do with an NHL coach because they haven't had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad