Dave Hakstol Fired and Scott Gordon Named Interim Head Coach (Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Funny how the players are saying Gordon has brought more energy to the bench and it is not quiet like it was under Hakstol. Hextall was just an ass holding on to Hak as long as he did....

Not saying Gordon is the answer but Hakstol was clearly a problem and the majority of us saw that at least 2 years ago!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Before Hakstol got fired:
12-15-4
29th in the league during that time period
-24 goal differential

Since Hakstol got fired:
20-11-4
6th in the league during that time period
+5 goal differential
... and that's while under another horrible head coach and the same horrible special teams coaches.

It's not a coincidence that a few anti-Hive posters disappeared during this period of success. The Hive is right yet again, Hakstol was killing this team.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Yes, he's on the lower side of mediocre, but Gordo still runs rings around Hak. If only we can get Gordon to keep that 7 d rotation with a top 5 of Prov/Sanheim/Ghost/Gudas/Myers and the last 2 being Morin and no one in particular, then maybe he can make it all the way up to middling.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I just hope Fletch realizes the horrid coaching that has plagued this team since Lavi was fired, I hope he realizes that the franchise deserves a better-great coach the roster has been grossly misused under idiot Hackstool, it was actually a joke, that was only made worse by Hexy standing by him

A real NHL coach could turn this team in the right direction going forward, I just hope Fletch surprises us all and hires a coach and gives him full reign of the coaching staff especially a Q type, but I’m not going to hold my breath, this offseason is going to be very interesting

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I’m terrified of this run allowing Goro to keep his job.

Utterly terrified.
Clint-Eastwood-disgust.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only difference has been goaltending.

Flyers are consistently outshot, give up more scoring chances and have been winning - because Hart and Elliott have been among the top in the league.

Q couldn't win when Crawford went down, Berube has been brilliant since they brought up Binnington (15-3-1 .933).
Does that make Berube smarter than Q?

We'll see if Fletcher is smart enough to see past hot goalies and realize the HC needs to be replaced and personnel changes are required.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Goaltending is not the reason why our GF ranking league-wise has improved (comparing pre-post coaching change) from 22nd (92 in 31 games) to 8th (107 in 35 games). Goaltending is not the reason why our PP success rate AND ranking league-wise has improved from 29th (12.9%) to 8th (22.2%). Hart (and lately Elliot) had an immense effect. The only change? Meh.

Data per nhl.com, comparing periods 3rd OCT 18/17th DEC 18 to 18th DEC 18/3rd MAR 19.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I’m terrified of this run allowing Goro to keep his job.

Utterly terrified.

I do think this is a legitimate concern. If the Flyers make the playoffs it'll be very Berube-esque and tough to fire him. Especially for Fletcher, who seems so empathetic. Would Hextall fire Gordon after making the playoffs? Probably not. If he had replaced Hakstol at all he'd probably go with Gordon because he seems very loyal. Also, it seems like he would want a coach who's strictly his guy, as opposed to the coach Dave Scott wants.

I think the real problem is that if Gordon does well, it limits the Flyers' choice to Q. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Q, but he's not my first choice. Like others, I'd rather go with a younger coach, someone who has been around young, developing players recently, and runs a modern offensive system that was designed to get the Nylanders and Kapanens up to NHL speed.

It becomes awkward for Fletcher when he has to go to Gordon and say he's going in a different direction, with a coach with basically the same resume but less NHL experience than you. Fletcher doesn't seem like that type of ruthless guy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Goaltending is not the reason why our GF ranking league-wise has improved (comparing pre-post coaching change) from 22nd (92 in 31 games) to 8th (107 in 35 games). Goaltending is not the reason why our PP success rate AND ranking league-wise has improved from 29th (12.9%) to 8th (22.2%). Hart (and lately Elliot) had an immense effect. The only change? Meh.

Data per nhl.com, comparing periods 3rd OCT 18/17th DEC 18 to 18th DEC 18/3rd MAR 19.
The goalies are why we’re scoring more and also why Sanheim is playing great on the top pair.

If it wasn’t for the goalies, he’d still be getting least icetime, and either Hagg or Mac would be on the top pair, because Hakstol had no choice.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Also, Deadhead has been telling us it's normal to get out shot A LOT when you are leading games, so logically one would think that if you lead more games you probably get out shot more? No?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The one thing I don't think we have to worry about Gordon keeping his job is that the big wigs seem to want to be big game hunting again in terms of name. They recognize that names bring crowds and fans, even to the average fan.

This front office is looking at Coach Q, if anything this run and the infusion of young talent has only helped in pursuit of him

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The one thing I don't think we have to worry about Gordon keeping his job is that the big wigs seem to want to be big game hunting again in terms of name. They recognize that names bring crowds and fans, even to the average fan.

This front office is looking at Coach Q, if anything this run and the infusion of young talent has only helped in pursuit of him

Yeah, I think they only have eyes for Q. They want / need to make a big splash, just to stay competitive locally.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I think they only have eyes for Q. They want / need to make a big splash, just to stay competitive locally.

One of the things I often talk about is how X could be a possibility if they're willing to set a new trend, but they probably aren't. This is one situation where I strongly believe they're willing to do so.

I have zero doubts they're willing to beat Babcock in AAV by a good margin, with a little less term because of the age difference. The question becomes whether you have to beat Babcock's total value of 50MM. If he asks for something like 5/40, I don't think they even negotiate.

Reactions: mja

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
One of the things I often talk about is how X could be a possibility if they're willing to set a new trend, but they probably aren't. This is one situation where I strongly believe they're willing to do so.

I have zero doubts they're willing to beat Babcock in AAV by a good margin, with a little less term because of the age difference. The question becomes whether you have to beat Babcock's total value of 50MM. If he asks for something like 5/40, I don't think they even negotiate.

As in they'll just snap give it to him?

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Besides the goaltending being better since Hakstol was let go, it's Gordon/Fletcher slowly learning what garbage to sit/get rid of and who to play more. I haven't checked the TOIs to compare but from watching the games it looks to me like the kids are playing more and in critical situations.

Reactions: kudymen

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
Still think they have something set up for Q once the season ends. I can't just flat out believe that Dave Isaac was that far off. Q probably just wanted to take the rest of the season off and told the Flyers to give him a call in June.

/wishful thinking.

Reactions: orangey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad