Dave Hakstol Fired and Scott Gordon Named Interim Head Coach (Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I'm convinced that Lappy's position on this team is compromised and has been mostly replaced by Rick Wilson. It seems to coincide with a semi- improved PK in the past few weeks. Perhaps taking a slapper to the face can only take you so far...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Fletcher is in LV tonight.

I wonder if Fletcher will fill teams regardless of age. I know Hextall said "it didn't matter", but we all knew that he would limit the youth if he could.

I know a lot of us are hoping for Myers instead of MacDonald, but holy balls is that a young defense.

Talented, but frigging young.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Fletcher is in LV tonight.

I wonder if Fletcher will fill teams regardless of age. I know Hextall said "it didn't matter", but we all knew that he would limit the youth if he could.

I know a lot of us are hoping for Myers instead of MacDonald, but holy balls is that a young defense.

Talented, but frigging young.

He called up Hart. I think Fletcher is more open minded than Hextall.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hextall & Hakstol were rigid, unyielding, drone-like Germans. It has its pluses & minuses, but creativity & interpersonal skills aren’t strengths.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm on the boat that he called Hart up because every single option failed.
Some still wouldn’t have called him up when he did. He was willing to say, “Well, most 20 year olds don’t play net in the NHL, but Hart isn’t most 20 year olds, & nothing else has worked, so why not try?”

He was chastised by many here for the call up, for example, even though every other option failed.

Reactions: BernieParent

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall & Hakstol were rigid, unyielding, drone-like Germans. It has its pluses & minuses, but creativity & interpersonal skills aren’t strengths.

I agree with you that Hextall and Hakstol would've just let the ship sink (see the first 2+ months) before modifying their philosophy.

It's going to take some time for me to detox from that era.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I agree with you that Hextall and Hakstol would've just let the ship sink (see the first 2+ months) before modifying their philosophy.

It's going to take some time for me to detox from that era.
Their resilience & steadfastness helped at times. But the lack of personality & creativity was excruciating by the end.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Their resilience & steadfastness helped at times. But the lack of personality & creativity was excruciating by the end.

It's a good trait, but you have to pivot, they never pivoted, they just stayed the exact course for 4 years.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's a good trait, but you have to pivot, they never pivoted, they just stayed the exact course for 4 years.
There’s more than one way to skin a cat, but even I had had enough. I complained about Hextall’s infatuation with boring “professional veteran” fringe players from day one. And he never veered. Hakstol, though I think he’s a fungible average coach rather than an awful one, was another example of Hextall’s obsession with boring, workmanlike professionalism (and reliable mediocrity). I don’t hate either Hextall or Hakstol, but I couldn’t take any more of the no-personality, slow product. At least have a semblance of the Flyer identity.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think Hextalls plan would've been better if they bottomed out.
I agree, but Hextall kept them in purgatory. Even still he was partially bailed out by winning the #2 pick when it should’ve been #11.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
After the game last I was just thinking about the abortion that was flyers depth during hextall era and what sort of players were depended upon.

Umberger
White
Filps
Torgo
Gordon
Weise
Manning
Vdv
Amax
Schultz
Mdz
Fat Schenn
Gagner
Cousins

You know the kind of talent that can't stick in the league. And then you have other trash like Corban knight, Oduya or Goulborne enexplicably finding their way into a team.

Good riddance man!
To be fair, MDZ and Cousins are still playing, and reasonably appreciated by their clubs. Not that it counts for much, because AMac is appreciated by the Flyers (or at least he was by the last GM/HC combo).

Cousins is a servicable player. Probably not on a good to great team, but he's a legit NHL player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's crazy to think that if Hextall was still here:

We would still have Hak
We would still have Murphy
We would have no Hart or the excitement around it
We would not have honoured Hartnell with the bad blood between Hex and Harts
We certainly would not have seen Harts in the dressing room post game...or the Gritty clips for that matter
We would not have seen Sanheim and Hagg out for that full 5vs3. Hak likely sits Sanheim and puts our Weise or Laughton
We would not have seen Sanheim play b2b 20+ minute games

Hockey has become fun again...win or lose.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
A snippet from DGB on Q:

Pro: Many coaches find it difficult to decide whether to pull a struggling goaltender in the first or the second or the third period, and in Philadelphia you can just do all three.
Con: While some impatience from upper management is to be expected, it might be a bad sign that Paul Holmgren yelled “WHY HAVEN’T YOU FIXED THIS YET” halfway through the first interview.

Pretty horrible to know we're the butt of jokes leaguewide.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Q8MHUJi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->