Dave Hakstol Fired and Scott Gordon Named Interim Head Coach (Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Quenneville
Lavy
Boucher
Boudreau

could all be available.

Quenneville is sitting pretty because he is going to get paid. I think he only comes to philly for a big time contract.
Add Gordon to that list. His 20-11-4 over the last 35 games is going to count in the equation for the next Flyers head coach. You and I may not like it but its out there. Now perhaps the Flyers run out of gas and don't make the POs and that sinks Gordon's ship but his record with the club is considerable especially since he didn't have the preseason to work with the guys and he took over a club that really was a mess.
Would I want Q? Sure but so will other clubs. For whatever reason he may like the opportunities that exist elsewhere better than what is here.
No on Boudreau or Boucher.
Lavy is a thinker; not sure about him. His pressure offense is good. However if he can't do well in Nashville with the defense that is there, I'm not so sure that he'd be a good fit here.
Add McClellan to that list. His record in Edmonton was not good but who could do well in that grease fire. Before that he had done well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Add Gordon to that list. His 20-11-4 over the last 35 games is going to count in the equation for the next Flyers head coach. You and I may not like it but its out there. Now perhaps the Flyers run out of gas and don't make the POs and that sinks Gordon's ship but his record with the club is considerable especially since he didn't have the preseason to work with the guys and he took over a club that really was a mess.
Would I want Q? Sure but so will other clubs. For whatever reason he may like the opportunities that exist elsewhere better than what is here.
Lavy is a thinker; not sure about him. His pressure offense is good. However if he can't do well in Nashville with the defense that is there, I'm not so sure that he'd be a good fit here.
Add McClellan to that list. His record in Edmonton was not good but who could do well in that grease fire. Before that he had done well.

Lavys not doing well in Nashville??

Dafuq?

Been one of the best teams in the league since hes been there and was a few calls going their way from a Cup in 2017.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

While we have gone on a nice win streak, it is a win streak that we are all currently very familiar with. I don't think there is anything unique or special about gordon in relation to the streak but rather this seems to be a theme of this group of flyers. The underlying numbers during this winning streak are not impressive at all. We are winning , but we are by the skin on our teeth. We are frequently getting outshot and outplayed.

Gordon has done a better job of usage of talent. Sanheim's toi has gone up and hagg's has gone down. Simple things like that makes a team more efficient but in regards to systems this team is playing at a level inferior to what we were with Hak. Don't get me wrong both coaches suck but for different reasons. Surprisingly if you could combine concepts from the two you would have pretty good results.

Basically this is what happeened this year. When Hextall was fired we were 4 points away from a playoff spot despite having no stability in goal and unsustainable bad luck on special teams. Also coots was off to a slow start from injury. Yet in spite of this we were only 4 points away from a playoff spot, we have yet to be that close again.

So as bad as things seemed at the time, they were never truly that bad when looking at it from a reasonable perspective. We were bound to go on a run once we got more stable goalie play, and better special teams. What hurt us was when Hextall was fired, and hakstol was basically a lame duck coach for 2 weeks before he was fired, followed by implementing gordon where we fell off the map for a while there and were the worst team in the league. Since January 13th we have had the best record in nhl , however since gordon's transition in the beginning was so disastrous we still are not playoff bound.

I firmly believe had hexy not been fired we would be in a current playoff spot with the current group. That may be a good thing, it may be a bad thing. Now with gordon and fletcher at the helm I am so in fear of what the future holds. I don't think we have a realistic shot of winning with this management group .

If you combine hak's system, with gordon's usage and goalie usage i think that is the best combo to hope for.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I might be the only one, but I like Gordon. And I was expecting to hate him.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If Fletch hires Gordon full time, it will be a mistake and another half-assed coach since Lavi, which is bullshit and reason to be concerned with Fletch as the GM, there needs to be an identity established for this franchise, Gordon doesn’t do that it would more of the same, how the f*** don’t you have a system at the NHL level? I guess us as fans just want a great product on the ice that is coached properly, Gordon is a band-aid and that’s all he should be

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

He's done some good things. I like the fact that he experiments and changes things up, even if some of those things don't make any sense. It seems like it takes him less time to figure out those things than Hakstol.

But his breakout system is horrible and just drives me insane.

Reactions: tucson83

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Im worried we end up with Dallas Eakins if Q passes.
upload_2019-3-4_13-22-13.jpeg

His communication compared to Hak is astounding.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's done some good things. I like the fact that he experiments and changes things up, even if some of those things don't make any sense. It seems like it takes him less time to figure out those things than Hakstol.

But his breakout system is horrible and just drives me insane.
He strikes me as an intelligent guy. He surprised me, in a good way, by implementing a 1-3-1, which I personally think is the best neutral zone system in hockey & terribly underused. I also said long ago I didn’t think the Flyers had the personnel to play an aggressive forecheck, & he seems to agree.

I like him a lot. I don’t see the flaws I heard about & expected. I think he’s a good coach. As for the breakouts, I think that’s on the personnel way more than the system.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His communication compared to Hak is astounding.
It’s hysterical — Hak was the stereotypical German, & Gordok is the loquacious Irishman.

As my username suggests, I identify more with the Irish style.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He strikes me as an intelligent guy. He surprised me, in a good way, by implementing a 1-3-1, which I personally think is the best neutral zone system in hockey & terribly underused. I also said long ago I didn’t think the Flyers had the personnel to play an aggressive forecheck, & he seems to agree.

I like him a lot. I don’t see the flaws I heard about & expected. I think he’s a good coach. As for the breakouts, I think that’s on the personnel way more than the system.

I disagree strongly with the bold. Especially now with Myers in the lineup, MacDonald out and Simmonds gone, the Flyers could easily play a more north-south system and have the defensemen carry more and the forwards support better.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I disagree strongly with the bold. Especially now with Myers in the lineup, MacDonald out and Simmonds gone, the Flyers could easily play a more north-south system and have the defensemen carry more and the forwards support better.
What — specifically — do you dislike system-wise with breakouts under Gordon, & what specific system changes would you recommend?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The assumption that he's temporary probably helps him a lot. I don't think anybody hates him yet, at least here.

I'll switch to harsh displeasure if they actually extend him though. Yielding possession is aggravating.

Reactions: Starat327

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
until thus club hires a real NHL level HC, i will continue to beleive they wont..

im fully expecting another 4 yrs wasted on Gordok, with the club going nowere while spinnin its tires in the mud

Reactions: Jtown

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
until thus club hires a real NHL level HC, i will continue to beleive they wont..

im fully expecting another 4 yrs wasted on Gordok, with the club going nowere while spinnin its tires in the mud
Common they clearly stated that he change for someone better hitting the market should be automatic. No matter how well gordok does they won't let championship level coach like q go unnoticed.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Common they clearly stated that he change for someone better hitting the market should be automatic. No matter how well gordok does they won't let championship level coach like q go unnoticed.

Yeah, if the rumors that Holmgren and Scott approaching Hextall about Q earlier in the season are true, i cant imagine they dont kick the can on it again. Having the team play well will certainly help that notion, as we dont seem nearly as far away from being a contender as we did under the dark days of Hakstol.

Its still certainly not a guarantee, he can choose pretty much any team he wants, but playing better might entice him to take ona project that is closer than it seemed before.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
PK is 82.0% 73/89 (13th in the league). PP is 22.2% 22/99 (8th in the league).

It's beautiful. The PK has been so historically shit during the first 30 games that we are still sitting 27th in the league in PK% this season, despite significant improvement in the latter half of games played so far

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
What — specifically — do you dislike system-wise with breakouts under Gordon, & what specific system changes would you recommend?

I say this in the GDTs all the time, but the Flyers must employ more back passes than any other team in the league. If you watch other teams, especially the Penguins and Golden Knights, when a defenseman gets control of the puck in the D-zone, it gets sent up ice immediately to a moving forward. The Flyers hold the puck and allow the other team to change or set up, pass it laterally or behind to their trailing partner, then wait some more and often make another lateral pass or a pass to a standstill forward.

You can go multiple games on end watching Nate Schmidt without seeing him do this (except on the PP on occasion).

The Flyers have been doing this less of late because Provorov has taken to carrying the puck up ice himself, to good results.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyer PK:

Hakstol: CA/60 90.39 (12th), SCA/60: 45.37 (6th), SCSV% 75.58 (27th), HDCA/60: 20.91 (18th), HDSV% 70.00 (26)
Gordon: CA/60, 94.49 (16th), SCA/60: 46.66 (13th), SCSV% 85.07 (9th), HDCA/60: 20.39 (17th), HDSV% 91.39 (1)

Again, the only real difference is goalie play, especially making tough saves.

Reactions: Jtown

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Very good chance Preds lose in the 1st round , so LAvy will most likely available.

I cant see any way in which Lavi comes back. His firing was rather unceremonious and not handled all that well, if we're being honest.

Theres going to be a few different teams looking for better coaches htis off season, and Lavi and Q will be high on top most people's lists.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad