Dave Cameron, join Ken Hitchcock as another one banned from coaching Canada again

bretzky29ca*

So who's the coach in 2012?

I see five possibilities listed in the order of most likely to least likely.

1) Andre Tourigny
2) Ryan Huska
3) Wayne Gretzky(don't rule out this possiblity as Gretz is still buddy buddy with Hockey Canada)
4) Dave Cameron
5) Brent Sutter(two appearances as coach, two gold medals)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

1) Andre Tourigny
2) Ryan Huska
3) Wayne Gretzky(don't rule out this possiblity as Gretz is still buddy buddy with Hockey Canada)
4) Dave Cameron

I'd like to see Don Hay added to that list, but I've heard in the past he doesn't want to leave the Giants for an extended period of time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

1) Andre Tourigny
2) Ryan Huska
4) Dave Cameron

Okay look, I know some homers will claim Cameron had nothing to do with the meltdown but can we please leave this guy's name out of the running for next year? He just coached a game 24 hours ago where his team allowed 5 goals in a crucial 3rd period. We've had threads about his questionable goalie choices, players choices and his timeout controversy. We saw the mistake of giving a losing coach a 2nd chance (ahem, Stan Butler).

Why not go with some winners? Messier coached the Spengler Cup. Gretzky certainly wouldn't be a bad choice either considering the tournament is in Edmonton. I'll throw in two other names. Doug Gilmour or Dale Hunter. Say what you want, but two winners for sure. I have a difficult time seeing a Hunter coached team collapse against the Russians like that. Plus both coach in the OHL so they aren't strangers either.

Cameron was a mistake. He was a poor fit. Move on. Try someone new.

Pyke*

Okay look, I know some homers will claim Cameron had nothing to do with the meltdown but can we please leave this guy's name out of the running for next year? He just coached a game 24 hours ago where his team allowed 5 goals in a crucial 3rd period. We've had threads about his questionable goalie choices, players choices and his timeout controversy. We saw the mistake of giving a losing coach a 2nd chance (ahem, Stan Butler).

Why not go with some winners? Messier coached the Spengler Cup. Gretzky certainly wouldn't be a bad choice either considering the tournament is in Edmonton. I'll throw in two other names. Doug Gilmour or Dale Hunter. Say what you want, but two winners for sure. I have a difficult time seeing a Hunter coached team collapse against the Russians like that. Plus both coach in the OHL so they aren't strangers either.

I liked Cameron's coaching; and had he won, he probably would be back. Not sure it was his fault they fell apart. I don't know. He made a mistake or two, but it's hard to say if it would have changed the outcome.

As to potential coaches, I wonder if Mike Peca is coaching. Always loved him as a player; smart mind.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

What has Gilmour won? Messier outside of a player has won nothing. Also, the Spengler Cup is a joke.

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
It isn't very often that Canada is out coached but they were in this game. In the second intermission the Russian coach freaked out and broke the white board and challenged them to make a comeback. I would have did the same to the Canadian players in the second intermission, you could just see Russia gaining momentum in the second period and Canada was starting to get sloppy. Schenn said in an interview after the game that no one on the Canada team was too up or too down in the second intermission, that tells me they felt they had it in the bag and were going to walk through it. Cameron just told the players to refocus but I am sure the players felt they had it, Cameron should have been furious. I said to my friend sitting next to me that if Russia scored within five minutes Canada was going to lose, he laughed it off until Russia scored twice haha.

Canada did so well with a guy like Brent Sutter because he was a hard on the kids and never satisfied, Cameron didn’t seem like much of anything to me, lacked personality and certainly made the wrong decisions. Next time out I want a coach who will run these kids into the ground, even if they are potential super stars many players know they can make a professional career out of the u20’s so you can push them as hard as you need.

With that all said I didn’t have a problem with his selections, I don’t think one or two players could have made a difference between gold and silver I would prefer a coach with a different personality.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Don't follow junior hockey much, do you?

You're lamenting the job Cameron did, but you suggest Doug Gilmour would be a good choice? The guy is a terrible coach. His Kingston Frontenacs have loaded up to "go for it all" this season, and his magnificent coaching ability has guided the team to a grand total of two games above .500.

I really wish people wouldn't assume that formerly great NHL players are automatically great coaches. Gilmour may become a good coach in the future, but at this point in time he's pretty bad.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The team had a bad 16 minutes and all hell is breaking loose..

Let's not forget that outside of those 16 minutes this was still a very successful team that played really good hockey.

Either they ran out of gas, thought the game was over and took their foot off the pedal, or both, but other than that they had been almost letter perfect in the tournament barring the Sweden game.

There is no need for such a high level of inquest into this - the fact remains that the Russians wanted it more, didn't give up, and shocked Canada. It's not the first time we've seen comebacks like that in sports, and it certainly won't be the last - it happens.

Move on, people.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
To be fair Cameron is mostly to blame here, he's 51 years old. The team and the goalies played poorly too, but first and foremost the selections were porous. This is why we couldn't respond when the game turned into shinny. We could hit and that should never be underrated, but it is almost as if that is ALL we could do. We did lack skill, I said it prior to Christmas and I even said it before tonight. So I'll say it again. Canada has won gold 5 straight times - twice - in the last 18 years. Why is that? Because for those teams we built a ghost roster. In other words, they could play any style of game. This team couldn't. On the championship teams we had game breakers. Not this one. Like I said, Schenn did more than enough and could not do it all. We won all those golds because we didn't focus on just one team to beat but every team and every style. We won because:

- we had game breakers. If they were in the NHL we made sure we picked the right ones who WEREN'T gobbled up by NHL teams
- we could hit, skate, pass, shoot, score and had an energy line, a skill line, a shutdown pair and at least one rushing d-man
- we had the goaltending. The goalies were poor and the selection and handling of them were poor
- we had a better coach, one with instant respect. Think Brent Sutter. Think Pat Quinn.

Besides this is a huge tournament now. It generates a ton of money, it captivates a nation for 2 weeks and it separates the winners from the losers. NHL careers can be made starting with this tournament. The guys are mostly 19 years old. They can cross the border and drink their faces off tonight. They aren't kids scraping their knees anymore riding their bikes. In 5 years how many of them will be millionaires? Damn right I'll call a spade a spade and say they played spineless.

15 first rounders and they'd already beaten Russia in the first tournament game. The team had all the pieces, they didn't perform up to snuff. There's nothing fair or even logical about your opening statement.

Last statement is absolutely stupid. Canada got beat at their own game, full marks to the Russian kids for the effort.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Don't follow junior hockey much, do you?

You're lamenting the job Cameron did, but you suggest Doug Gilmour would be a good choice? The guy is a terrible coach. His Kingston Frontenacs have loaded up to "go for it all" this season, and his magnificent coaching ability has guided the team to a grand total of two games above .500.

I really wish people wouldn't assume that formerly great NHL players are automatically great coaches. Gilmour may become a good coach in the future, but at this point in time he's pretty bad.

Love this post. As a Leaf fan, I'm obviously a big fan of Gilmour as well, but he hasn't been a very good coach thus far.

This pretty much sums up the OP, I can't take him seriously if he thinks Gilmour is a better coach than Cameron.

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
IMO, the Canadian team was designed to dethrone the USA. If you are still pissed at how the CANADIAN PLAYERS didn't show up for the 3rd period against Russia, then give your head a shake. I call this tournament a success, because we beat USA. Next year's tournament will be a success if Canada beats Russia imo. It stung watching Russia dominate the Canadian players, but nothing Cameron could have done would have changed what the players were doing. They showed no spirit and no want to win the game. I don't blame any one person, because the last time I checked, this is a TEAM game...

Maybe some of the posters here should follow junior hockey a little closer. Stop criticizing a coach who is leading his junior team to the best season that Mississauga has ever had. He doesn't have the greatest talent there imo, but that team continues to win games on heart, grit and the ability to play a full 60 minute game. Also, the fact that Mississauga is having trouble winning games lately just solidifies the job that Cameron is doing there.

Remember the Sweden-Canada game? Sweden put their speed game to work all game and out-played Canada. Why? The Canadians players didn't stick to the game plan and decided to make the game a track meet. More times than not, if you choose to turn a game against Sweden or Russia into a track meet, they will eat you alive. Swedish and Russian players always seem to have speed when given the chance to use it. Take the speed away from Sweden and Russia (see the 1st period against Sweden; 1st and 2nd periods against Russia) you WILL win...

Kyle Doobas*

Hang your heads Team Canada and you will forever be remembered as the team that coughed up a three goal third period lead in the championship game.
dramatic-monkey-is-dramatic.thumbnail.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those complaining about coaching

team canada did not have the game breakers or the top level guys on the team--russia did

would have been nice to see the nhl teams allow the top guys back again

Hollywood

Mar 2, 2004
Canada
i don't think coaching was the problem.
dude.... what are you smoking? 3-0 20 mins..... sit on the red line....get boooed all ya want. who cares. red line. that's it..... series over. u sit 5 guys on the red line and its done.... cameron screwed it. cameron unfortunately is career over. all he had to do was redline stance and it was over....
Nothing more nothing less

Last edited:

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
dude.... what are you smoking? 3-0 20 mins..... sit on the red line....get boooed all ya want. who cares. red line. that's it..... series over. u sit 5 guys on the red line and its done.... cameron screwed it. cameron unfortunately is career over. all he had to do was redline stance and it was over....
Nothing more nothing less

Yeah it's that simple:shakehead Seriously, Cameron has a great career whether he ever coaches an NHL or World Jr team ever again. His career is fine right where he is.

CanadienErrant*

i don't think coaching was the problem.

It was a good part of it. He didn't ask for a timeout after the Russian's second goal to calm down his players. He didn't change his goalie while it was obvious that Visentin was struggling badly.

I am not 100% sure they would had won, but at least it would had given the impression that he had tried.

CanadienErrant*

Yeah it's that simple:shakehead Seriously, Cameron has a great career whether he ever coaches an NHL or World Jr team ever again. His career is fine right where he is.

Melnyck, the Senators' owner is a good friend of him. Cameron is coaching the junior team that Melnyck owns.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair enough, but when all the chips are on the table for the gold medal he FAILED. Call a time out and get the guys F'ing motivated. Look no further then Peter Laviolette in game 7 of the Boston series last year. Flyers down 3-0 in game 7, peter calls a time out and the Flyers go on the win the game and series 4-3. Richards and others said the time out and the speech after the 2nd period gave them so much motivation that they "KNEW" they were going to win that game.

Testimonials from players are meaningless, because their bias is intense. Richards is supposed to say that. Besides, you even needed to add the qualifier that the 2nd intermission also had a part (since that's all a timeout is when your team is sucking, a mini-intermission).

cangoaler33

Jan 17, 2011
Buddy You are a moron!
Coaching was not the issue. Strongest member of the team. No game breakers were available, it's not like he cut a Taylor Hall, or Stamkos. He worked with what he was given, and did freaking great. I personally did not know if they'd get to the gold medal game. JP Anderson is his goalie in Jr. Don't you think Cameron knows how good he (Anderson) is and his capabilities?

Also, these guys are on their way to being professionals. They are trained to be machines, but look at the name of the tournament, U20! Under 20! In the hockey world, they are kids, and they should not have to carry the weight of a country on their shoulders for losing a hockey game. I was at the game and thought about driving off the bridge on the way home like everyone else, but it's a hockey game guys. We are not Columbia where we shoot our soccer team for losing. Get a grip, deal with it, and move on. Next year will come.

Also Visentin was not struggling, I thought he looked solid through two. Also after the second goal I thought about a timeout as well...but I could see why he didn't. It would have showed that they were panicking. and at that point they were still winning. It was troubling of course but a timeout could have sent a message to the team that s*** was hitting the fan and that could have made things worse. Sure it turned out worse anyways but that's the way she goes.
All of you can look back now and say he should have done this or that. Everyone is an expert when they lose. You don't have time to think, you can only react. Now that we can look back all we do is think and that distorts your view.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad