Dave Cameron, join Ken Hitchcock as another one banned from coaching Canada again

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We almost got the result we wanted? Is that some kind of constellation prize? We are Canada not Switzerland (with all due respect, they had a really good tournament and are becoming a very competative team) but sorry, almost is NOT acceptable for Canada.

What's astronomy got to do with this? ;)

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
don't know how someone can blame anyone but the players after being up 3-0 with 20 minutes left in the championship game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What if Cameron calls a timeout after the 2nd goal?

What if Mike Babcock was coaching?

What if Roy was playing?

There's so many factors that affect the end result of the game. Bringing up "what ifs" is just pointless ranting.

Maybe a timeout after the 2nd goal let's Kitysn/Kuznetov to get rested up and they come out and score another quick one. Maybe another coach would have called a timeout there, maybe not.You never know what's going to happen in a game. That's why you play the game.

The Russians played a great game, and they were rewarded for it. Show some sportsmanship, enjoy the game and just get over it.

Sep 19, 2008
As cold as Cameron's personality is in front of the cameras (have you ever seen dude on TV) he's not the one on the ice blowing a 3-0 lead

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Just like the player selection thread, this one wouldn't exist if they had held on in the last 15 minutes. In the end, the coach can say all the right things, but if the players on the ice can't manifest what he wants physically, there's not much he can do about it. The kids simply blew it. End of story. Cameron has proven consistently that he's a great junior coach, and the last 15 minutes of one game isn't going to change that.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
FEAR is what caused this game to change. Anybody that saw the game saw this hit team Canada when that second goal just seconds after the first Russia goal, fear hit all Canada players and from that moment they player on their heals and to a man feared making a mistake of any kind and feared LOOSING the game. I don't blame the players for the fear or not having the age and expierence to hold off that fear. No not the players but is this NOT exactly what a well seasoned and well expierenced coach is for. The coach should have seen this unfold and have a battle plan to counter this sudden total fear. What I saw was a coach that was in fear himself along with his players. He lost control of his own fear and sat back and only hoped his team would score a goal or two. Change the goalie, take a time out, tell the players to slow the game down by causing stoppages / off sides/ icings and such to give your side to regroup. You see this all time in the NHL. In boxing you clutch, in hockey you slow the game to a crawl with whistles.
The coach was in the same FEAR as his players and did NOT steer the ship from the rocks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Do you care to explain how Cameron IS a good coach? His selections were poor, his goaltending was handled poorly. He called a timeout way too late when you knew deep down in your gut that the Russians had the momentum. And he will now be shown for the next 50 years in coaching schools of how not to coach with a 3 goal lead. Where is the evidence he is a good coach?
Seems you have a personal axe to grind with Cameron? Surely you can't be that upset with the results?

Everyone last night, including myself was just stunned at how things turned out...but today is another day, you move on and learn from it...

This all seems to personal for you, Big Phil?

Oiler Crude

3rd rate fan
Feb 11, 2007
FEAR is what caused this game to change. Anybody that saw the game saw this hit team Canada when that second goal just seconds after the first Russia goal, fear hit all Canada players and from that moment they player on their heals and to a man feared making a mistake of any kind and feared LOOSING the game. I don't blame the players for the fear or not having the age and expierence to hold off that fear. No not the players but is this NOT exactly what a well seasoned and well expierenced coach is for. The coach should have seen this unfold and have a battle plan to counter this sudden total fear. What I saw was a coach that was in fear himself along with his players. He lost control of his own fear and sat back and only hoped his team would score a goal or two. Change the goalie, take a time out, tell the players to slow the game down by causing stoppages / off sides/ icings and such to give your side to regroup. You see this all time in the NHL. In boxing you clutch, in hockey you slow the game to a crawl with whistles.
The coach was in the same FEAR as his players and did NOT steer the ship from the rocks.

^^^ This ^^^

Aristocles14

Aug 27, 2003
London, Ontario
Visit site
What if Cameron calls a timeout after the 2nd goal?

What if Mike Babcock was coaching?

What if Roy was playing?

There's so many factors that affect the end result of the game. Bringing up "what ifs" is just pointless ranting.

Maybe a timeout after the 2nd goal let's Kitysn/Kuznetov to get rested up and they come out and score another quick one. Maybe another coach would have called a timeout there, maybe not.You never know what's going to happen in a game. That's why you play the game.

The Russians played a great game, and they were rewarded for it. Show some sportsmanship, enjoy the game and just get over it.

I was cheering for Canada to win as much as everyone else but I agree with dnicks17, its easy to sit back and say what someone should have done after the result is known. We got beat by a better team plain and simple, all the factors you’re complaining about just make Canada come off as sore losers. These tournaments are about winning for Canada but even in defeat I think the players that return next year will be better for it, people often learn much more in losing than in winning.

marty 4 hart*

Yes the team was selected poorly. From the word go the team didn't have its usual game breakers. I know the NHL gobbled up a lot of them but that's no excuse. There were weird cuts and suspicious actions by Cameron.

For instance, not talking to the press about his recollections of the classic Canada/Russia rivalry. He refused to answer any questions about it by stating "come to me after the game if you want to talk history." Huh? What was that all about? He's 51 years old. He couldn't talk briefly about his excitement when he saw Henderson score? Or the other million times Russia and Canada have faced each other since?

So initially I thought that was weird but just shrugged it off and assumed that maybe had he gotten us this far he might know what would distract the team and what wouldn't. I was wrong because he was wrong. Dead wrong. He was one period away from practically being invited next year to coach again. Now he'll join the likes of Ken Hitchcock (awful choke job in the 2008 Worlds), Stan Butler (outcoached in the 2002 WJC) and Marc Crawford (1998 Olympics, need I say more?) as coaches who didn't get near the head coaching position for Canada again, and rightly so.

Brayden Schenn did everything possible to win. He was the only true game breaker. He had 18 points in 7 games and two points in the Gold medal game but the guy needs some support! Where was Couturier all tournament? This is the #1 overall pick for 2011? Why was Nugent-Hopkins cut? Or Ryan Murphy? Why didn't Cameron call a timeout when they were UP 3-2?

Congrats to Russia, I wasn't even mad when they skated by the Canadians (looked to be intentional) with the trophy considering they could have gone the other way. I was so angry at that team and the rotten coaching staff that I could have choked them.

I have never in my life seen a championship game where a team is up 3-0 in the third period and then lose the game - by two goals! An overtime loss in that situation is a choke, a two goal loss meaning 5 3rd period goals against is a collapse. Hang your heads Team Canada and you will forever be remembered as the team that coughed up a three goal third period lead in the championship game. Dave Cameron will be taught in coaching schools for the next 50 years on how NOT to coach while holding a lead

I was mad. It was classless.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Cameron did an excellent job but like the young team he also panicked at bit once things started to unravel.

How anyone could throw heaps of mud at him now is strange, up 3-0 in the gold medal game. Beat the States easily. The team can be criticized for the goaltending selections but that is about it.

Last years coach was much much worse.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is why it's unreasonable to give a coach either too much credit when things go well or too much blame when they go poorly. Ultimately, it's up to the players to execute. Canada did just that for 2/3rds of the game. To a man (with the exception of a couple of players) they hit the skids in the 3rd. How can Dave Cameron be thrown under the bus for that?

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
This is simply ridiculous. At first, the Canadians were pretty much worshiping (well, more or less) Cameron - claiming that he is an "excellent coach" and that he might be the reason the players and fans would be singing "Oh Canada" after 60 minutes of a rivalry game. Look how quickly things change. Now, the pissed off, embarrassed and "religiously" infatuated fans of Canada are going ballistic.

"Who must we blame?", they ask. Of course they throw their rotten tomatoes at the coaches and staff. God forbid if they actually recognize Russia as a productive, hot-tempered, highly skilled and Gold-deserved team. No, the Canadians (yes, I am generalizing) will not admit that Russia is a good team; they must blame everyone else. They can't even admit that Russia played better - they have to obstinately point out that Canada mentally "collapsed", and that the only team that can actually beat Canada is...well Canada! Canada beat themselves.

Ridiculous. :laugh::darth:

Russia did deserve to win but if you can't admit that if Canada would've kept skating and playing they way they did over the first 2 periods that they would've won the game then you have blinders on just as much as any Canadian does.

Russia made an unbelievable comeback while Canada let them do it by not skating, engaging physically and holding back. Who's fault is it? The whole teams from top to bottom.

Seguins Dragon*

This is simply ridiculous. At first, the Canadians were pretty much worshiping (well, more or less) Cameron - claiming that he is an "excellent coach" and that he might be the reason the players and fans would be singing "Oh Canada" after 60 minutes of a rivalry game. Look how quickly things change. Now, the pissed off, embarrassed and "religiously" infatuated fans of Canada are going ballistic.

"Who must we blame?", they ask. Of course they throw their rotten tomatoes at the coaches and staff. God forbid if they actually recognize Russia as a productive, hot-tempered, highly skilled and Gold-deserved team. No, the Canadians (yes, I am generalizing) will not admit that Russia is a good team; they must blame everyone else. They can't even admit that Russia played better - they have to obstinately point out that Canada mentally "collapsed", and that the only team that can actually beat Canada is...well Canada! Canada beat themselves.

Ridiculous. :laugh::darth:

Who thought that??

I know myself personally, and most of my friends who I talked about the tournament both felt the coaching for Canada was brutal...

1- Why in the world did he go back to Roy VS Sweden???... right there something tipped me off this guy wasn't right.

2- Canada came into a defensive shell in the 3rd period. Not sure what the game plan was, or if they were trying to play the trap.. but in the previous periods when the puck was in Russia zone you had 2-3 forecheckers, hitting bodies, and making plays... 3rd period, first time puck is in Russia zone, I counted 4 Canadian players BEHIND the center ice line... now that is NOT the players to make such a drastic change... 100% on the coach.

The coach was brutal, I felt like it the whole tournament, and I even said at one point... "If they lose, I know who to blame.. if they win, it will be in spite of horrible coaching.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why is Ken Hitchcock banned from coaching? Didn't he win 2 Olympic Gold Medals as an assistant coach?

Charlie Milles*

Some of you guys are insane. Despite the third period collapse last night, Cameron's team Canada was one of the best coached teams in U20 hockey since I started watching it back in '97.

shea

Sep 14, 2006
It's not all cameron's fault, did the goalie even stop a puck in the 3rd? We should have switched goalies after the 3rd goal like the Russians did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad