Dave Cameron, join Ken Hitchcock as another one banned from coaching Canada again

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The team was poorly constructed, and the game plan was at times poorly executed. Expecting Canada to win it seemed like lofty expectations. Cameron did a respectable job considering the situation he was put into. Outside of not gathering the troops earlier (I would have called it after the second goal), you can't place the blame squarely on his shoulders. However, I still think this game might have cost him an NHL gig unfortunately.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
One of the most clueless posts ever on these boards.
Grab a club and maybe rejoin us...or hopefully not.

Care to elaborate and actually join the conversation with something relevant? Calling someone clueless without countering their points is useless.

You mean the one in 2006? Or in 1998? They did too.

Most Olympic teams do.

People second-guess the selections when Canada loses. They don't when Canada wins.

Were the 2002 and 2010 the best possible lineups we could have fielded? Few people spend a great deal of energy second-guessing those rosters.

The 2002 was a team that was selected almost perfectly. Very similar to the 2010 team. Is it a coincidence we won both times? Nope. Overthinking leads to 1998 and other times. We've seen this firsthand with WJC teams. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

In 2002 Joe Thornton could have been on the team, but it wasn't a HUGE controversy and we all know how Joe is in the clutch. Roy decided not to play. Other than that the team was picked to a tee.

Ditto for 2010. Yzerman knew it was impossible to leave off players like Staal, Toews, Richards etc. even if they were centers and had to play on the wing. He didn't overthink. He saw how difficult it would be to leave off players who were just too good. The intangibles of these players made it easy. As for the Stamkos and Green omissions, it was a little controversial and I will say the Bergeron selection made little sense even when it was explained to us because he didn't bring a lot to the table in that tournament. But overall the best team was picked AND there were players picked who would be impossible to leave off. And we won again.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In 2002 Joe Thornton could have been on the team, but it wasn't a HUGE controversy and we all know how Joe is in the clutch. Roy decided not to play. Other than that the team was picked to a tee.

Thornton was a big no-show in 2006 and then in the elimination games in 2010.

I'm thinking that, if we had lost in OT, you'd have been sitting here making the same thread as this one.

You can ALWAYS second-guess Canadian teams because we have so many players.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Ditto for 2010. Yzerman knew it was impossible to leave off players like Staal, Toews, Richards etc. even if they were centers and had to play on the wing. He didn't overthink. He saw how difficult it would be to leave off players who were just too good. The intangibles of these players made it easy. As for the Stamkos and Green omissions, it was a little controversial and I will say the Bergeron selection made little sense even when it was explained to us because he didn't bring a lot to the table in that tournament. But overall the best team was picked AND there were players picked who would be impossible to leave off. And we won again.

True. Yet for all that Scott Niedermayer makes a horrible giveaway in overtime that could have caused it all to go up in smoke.
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Tavaresmagicalplay*

True. Yet for all that Scott Niedermayer makes a horrible giveaway in overtime that could have caused it all to go up in smoke.
Gang aft agley,
For promis'd joy!

Exactly we could have easily lost and if we did there would have been people crying for Green, St. Louis, J. Staal, Stamkos and a whole bunch of other players.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Why didn't play Couturier in the third? He seemed to have come out of his shell and you need all the skills you've got, especially when you're trailing.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
This is simply ridiculous. At first, the Canadians were pretty much worshiping (well, more or less) Cameron - claiming that he is an "excellent coach" and that he might be the reason the players and fans would be singing "Oh Canada" after 60 minutes of a rivalry game. Look how quickly things change. Now, the pissed off, embarrassed and "religiously" infatuated fans of Canada are going ballistic.

"Who must we blame?", they ask. Of course they throw their rotten tomatoes at the coaches and staff. God forbid if they actually recognize Russia as a productive, hot-tempered, highly skilled and Gold-deserved team. No, the Canadians (yes, I am generalizing) will not admit that Russia is a good team; they must blame everyone else. They can't even admit that Russia played better - they have to obstinately point out that Canada mentally "collapsed", and that the only team that can actually beat Canada is...well Canada! Canada beat themselves.

Ridiculous. :laugh::darth:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
This is simply ridiculous. At first, the Canadians were pretty much worshiping (well, more or less) Cameron - claiming that he is an "excellent coach" and that he might be the reason the players and fans would be singing "Oh Canada" after 60 minutes of a rivalry game. Look how quickly things change. Now, the pissed off, embarrassed and "religiously" infatuated fans of Canada are going ballistic.

"Who must we blame?", they ask. Of course they throw their rotten tomatoes at the coaches and staff. God forbid if they actually recognize Russia as a productive, hot-tempered, highly skilled and Gold-deserved team. No, the Canadians (yes, I am generalizing) will not admit that Russia is a good team; they must blame everyone else. They can't even admit that Russia played better - they have to obstinately point out that Canada mentally "collapsed", and that the only team that can actually beat Canada is...well Canada! Canada beat themselves.

Ridiculous.

Well put.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gang aft agley,
For promis'd joy!

He should have called a timeout after the second goal in 11 seconds...my 12 year old said so at the time and I said "he will"...but he didn't...

4 minutes later he called a timeout and yelled at them for 30 seconds

Ye see yon birkie ca'd 'a lord,'
Wha struts, an stares, an a' that?
Tho hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a cuif for a' that.

Full credit to Russia, but what exactly did Cameron do to settle the players? It wasn't like they were playing like they didn't care.

Last edited:

4Isles4*

Schenn took it up a notch...hes now on my radar...and Cizikas is giveing me something to look foward too...I project him as a skilled energy and pk 3rd or 4th liner for the Islanders in the next couple of years...

I didnt see the game to say if it was a Canadian collapse or Russia fighing back for the win.....

You know how much we in the hockey community judge prospects in the WJC.....so does anyone think that this WJC hurts Couturier or will ppl just say its only a few games where he didnt reall show up....? does he still go 1 or 2???? IMO I think scouts still take him high,but I think Larsson played well enough to justify a 1st overall pick...

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I know a lot of people want to throw Cameron under the bus, and there is no question he missed the timeout call, but I think a lot of credit has to go to Valeri Bragin for pushing the right buttons at the right time. The goaltending change and timeout paid off (didn't someone say timeouts never work?) and going down to two lines was the difference in the game.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I know a lot of people want to throw Cameron under the bus, and there is no question he missed the timeout call, but I think a lot of credit has to go to Valeri Bragin for pushing the right buttons at the right time. The goaltending change and timeout paid off (didn't someone say timeouts never work?) and going down to two lines was the difference in the game.
Wasn't the timout used when Russia was in the lead?

BamBamCam*

You are the type of person who takes the fun right out of hockey. These are kids for christ sake.

Maybe you should take a break from hockey and fill your life with other things than hockey.
You think he is bad here...go read his Bruin postings....you would think half the team kicked his dog

BamBamCam*

Ridiculous. :laugh::darth:

+1000

Excellent post..and you are correct....god forbid someone is actually better than the team you root for...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So the OP's solution to the third period collapse is bringing in offensive minded players like Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Murphy? What?

I could maybe -- MAYBE -- understand that point if we'd lost 1-0 or 2-0, where the only thing costing Canada gold was the inability to score goals. But the team scored 3 goals, and had a 3-0 lead going into the third period.

Adding two guys who are better known for their offense than their defense wouldn't have helped the team hold its 3-0 lead.

There were questionable decisions by the coaching staff, for sure. Olsen being played top defense minutes despite being the weakest defender the entire tournament, for one. Not calling a time out after Russia scored two goals within 11 seconds being another.

But to lament their not bringing along two OFFENSIVE minded players in a game where DEFENSE was the issue? Silly.

AntonRodin*

Oh man, can you imagine what the OP would say if Team Canada lost at the Olympics...

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Oh man, can you imagine what the OP would say if Team Canada lost at the Olympics...

What would he say? The sniper rifle would have been out of the briefcase with the silencer screwed on nice and tight before the medals were awarded.:sarcasm:

Hal 9000*

It's not a matter of "oh, I guess Russia is just that much better than Canada". If the game was close all the way and Russia prevailed...then maybe. Russia didn't win so much as Canada threw the game away. This was an all-world collapse by Canada.

Canada stopped doing everything, they stopped hitting, stopped forechecking and back-checking. They just decided to stop playing hockey. On nearly every goal (maybe every one) you can see a Canadian player just give up on the play.

Absolutely disgraceful!!!!

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
It's not a matter of "oh, I guess Russia is just that much better than Canada". If the game was close all the way and Russia prevailed...then maybe. Russia didn't win so much as Canada threw the game away. This was an all-world collapse by Canada.

Canada stopped doing everything, they stopped hitting, stopped forechecking and back-checking. They just decided to stop playing hockey. On nearly every goal (maybe every one) you can see a Canadian player just give up on the play.

They stopped doing everything because of what Russia was doing. Same thing happened to Finns and Swedes.
Momentum is a funny thing. Russia won because they were able to weather the Canadian onslaught more than vise-versa.

Clownpipe*

Canada was up 3-0 in the 3rd. What they needed to do was to continue to execute their game plan and play to their strengths.

Get the puck in deep, cycle it, be strong along the boards. They do that, they keep the Russians away from their net.

Canada had breakdowns in their own zone in the 3rd and paid for it.

Give credit to the Russians for never giving up.

But he's 51 years old!!!! Forget the kids on the ice, actually playing the game. That ninja's older than my grampy and he didn't call a timeout when they needed it. 51 for cripes sake! :laugh:

Seriously though, include me in the group that thought it was over after 40 mins. Up 3-0, great game through that point, Canadians are "born with heart," "Russians are pathetic like Yashin!" etc. Another easy gold!

The choke-job was not what I wanted to see (as a Canadian), but give the Russians a ton of credit. That comeback was really impressive and maybe people (including myself) will start to give them more credit from now on. That was a great comeback, much respect, and probably benefits hockey in the long run. Apparently the first WJC game televised live on the biggest TV network in Russia or something too. Good stuff. Hope they didn't turn the game off after two. Canada can afford to take this embarrassing loss, actually learn from it, and take it back next year. Russia taking gold was ok with me. That was some crazy finish. Good for hockey and hopefully teaches these future NHLers a lesson.

BamBamCam*

Seriously? Because Canada created the game there for the gold should be handed to you....

You got beat plain and simple, quit with the whining

BamBamCam*

Do you care to explain how Cameron IS a good coach? His selections were poor, his goaltending was handled poorly. He called a timeout way too late when you knew deep down in your gut that the Russians had the momentum. And he will now be shown for the next 50 years in coaching schools of how not to coach with a 3 goal lead. Where is the evidence he is a good coach?

.....and your evidence that he is a bad coach is because he didn't call a time out? Isn't it a committee that picks the team? Bad goaltending? He went with the better goalie, Roy sucked ass from everything I saw and he went with the better of the two. Maybe your overall goaltending sucked??? Nahhhh couldn't be, Canada created the game.

Better question, were you thinking this when you beat USA? I think not, you're just another Canadian that does not look at the big picture. Russia played well and were the better talent tonight.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Not a huge Cameron hater/supporter but these quotes kind of pissed me off.

"Take away that third period collapse and we played some really solid hockey, We almost got the result we wanted. We did more right than wrong."

We almost got the result we wanted? Is that some kind of constellation prize? We are Canada not Switzerland (with all due respect, they had a really good tournament and are becoming a very competative team) but sorry, almost is NOT acceptable for Canada.

Hyperkookeez*

Considering Kuznetsov and Tarasenko had single handedly taken over games before, why didn't Dave Cameron and the Canadian players anticipate that and continue to keep up the tempo and play them close in the 3rd period? Sitting on a lead is just an incredibly dumb tactic against an opponent that you know is immensely skilled. It also doesn't help when the Foligno-Johanson-Kassian line, the Howden-Couturier-Connolly line, half your defense, and your goalie disappear. Talk about a mentally weak team. Russia ties, and the Canadians decide to pack it in...

Russia's best players in the 3rd period were exactly that, and the Canadian team as a whole shat the bed. Dave Cameron shouldn't be singled out. You know you have some problems when the Russians show more heart and determination than the Canadians do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad