Dave Cameron, join Ken Hitchcock as another one banned from coaching Canada again

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Big Phil, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Yes the team was selected poorly. From the word go the team didn't have its usual game breakers. I know the NHL gobbled up a lot of them but that's no excuse. There were weird cuts and suspicious actions by Cameron.

For instance, not talking to the press about his recollections of the classic Canada/Russia rivalry. He refused to answer any questions about it by stating "come to me after the game if you want to talk history." Huh? What was that all about? He's 51 years old. He couldn't talk briefly about his excitement when he saw Henderson score? Or the other million times Russia and Canada have faced each other since?

So initially I thought that was weird but just shrugged it off and assumed that maybe had he gotten us this far he might know what would distract the team and what wouldn't. I was wrong because he was wrong. Dead wrong. He was one period away from practically being invited next year to coach again. Now he'll join the likes of Ken Hitchcock (awful choke job in the 2008 Worlds), Stan Butler (outcoached in the 2002 WJC) and Marc Crawford (1998 Olympics, need I say more?) as coaches who didn't get near the head coaching position for Canada again, and rightly so.

Brayden Schenn did everything possible to win. He was the only true game breaker. He had 18 points in 7 games and two points in the Gold medal game but the guy needs some support! Where was Couturier all tournament? This is the #1 overall pick for 2011? Why was Nugent-Hopkins cut? Or Ryan Murphy? Why didn't Cameron call a timeout when they were UP 3-2?

Congrats to Russia, I wasn't even mad when they skated by the Canadians (looked to be intentional) with the trophy considering they could have gone the other way. I was so angry at that team and the rotten coaching staff that I could have choked them.

I have never in my life seen a championship game where a team is up 3-0 in the third period and then lose the game - by two goals! An overtime loss in that situation is a choke, a two goal loss meaning 5 3rd period goals against is a collapse. Hang your heads Team Canada and you will forever be remembered as the team that coughed up a three goal third period lead in the championship game. Dave Cameron will be taught in coaching schools for the next 50 years on how NOT to coach while holding a lead

2. TheBrokenRib

TheBrokenRib Registered User

musician/superhero
    You are the type of person who takes the fun right out of hockey. These are kids for christ sake.

Maybe you should take a break from hockey and fill your life with other things than hockey.

3. DeathToAllButMetal

DeathToAllButMetal Let it all burn.

I know it's cool today to call anybody under 30 a kid, but come one. We're talking about mostly kids old enough to drive and vote here. They're adults by most definitions. The OP is being pretty harsh, but it's not like he's attacking Tykes.

4. Ironslave

Ironslave Registered User

Cameron coached a team that was up by 3 goals going into the third period.... the players collapsed, and goal-tending was awful.

5. magic school bus

magic school bus ***********

i don't think coaching was the problem.

6. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

To be fair Cameron is mostly to blame here, he's 51 years old. The team and the goalies played poorly too, but first and foremost the selections were porous. This is why we couldn't respond when the game turned into shinny. We could hit and that should never be underrated, but it is almost as if that is ALL we could do. We did lack skill, I said it prior to Christmas and I even said it before tonight. So I'll say it again. Canada has won gold 5 straight times - twice - in the last 18 years. Why is that? Because for those teams we built a ghost roster. In other words, they could play any style of game. This team couldn't. On the championship teams we had game breakers. Not this one. Like I said, Schenn did more than enough and could not do it all. We won all those golds because we didn't focus on just one team to beat but every team and every style. We won because:

- we had game breakers. If they were in the NHL we made sure we picked the right ones who WEREN'T gobbled up by NHL teams
    - we could hit, skate, pass, shoot, score and had an energy line, a skill line, a shutdown pair and at least one rushing d-man
    - we had the goaltending. The goalies were poor and the selection and handling of them were poor
    - we had a better coach, one with instant respect. Think Brent Sutter. Think Pat Quinn.

Besides this is a huge tournament now. It generates a ton of money, it captivates a nation for 2 weeks and it separates the winners from the losers. NHL careers can be made starting with this tournament. The guys are mostly 19 years old. They can cross the border and drink their faces off tonight. They aren't kids scraping their knees anymore riding their bikes. In 5 years how many of them will be millionaires? Damn right I'll call a spade a spade and say they played spineless.

7. Torts

Torts Dont Doubt the Trout

coaching was not the issue

big phil is smoking something

hockey canada knew what type of coach he is

the players knew what kind of coach he is

the fans bought into what kind of coach is

big phil dosnt know a good coach from a bad one

8. Leaf Predator

Leaf Predator Registered User

Canada had a poor team. The reason why Canada is able to win every year is their depth. Their 3rd and 4th lines are always better than every other teams but this year it wasn't the case. Other than Schenn I didn't see any other player compete, nobody was able to step up in the big game.

I think what killed us the most was playing defensive hockey in the 3rd period when we should have stayed on the attack, not sit on our ***** and wait for them to attack.

Along with that, probably the worst goaltending Canada has had that I can remember. Visentin was poor the whole tournament and any "big" save was shot at him or a really weak attempt on net (see Russian breakaway tonight).

Should have worked out to be a Sweden vs USA final. Sweden had the most talented team this year and the best Swedish team I've seen in a while.

9. RNH is tiny. He would have done nothing here but get dominated. This team was a crash and bang team. He wouldn't have fit in. It'd be like bringing Mike Green onto the Canadian Olympic team. He doesn't fit into the system.

The 3rd period collapse is on everyone though they weren't prepared. I'm already over it. Russians played great and they were beating Canadian defenders regularly in the first 40 minutes. Can't say I was shocked.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan Registered User

Talent prevailed in the third period. Russia's gamebreakers came out to play and the Canadian defence couldn't handle them. Canada had the better team but its gamebreakers who can change a game just like that.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan Registered User

No way! Visentin was lights-out against USA and the first two periods of Russia. He made some remarkable saves. Watch those highlights again.

He didn't make the timely saves in the third and it sucks, but I wouldn't say he blew the whole time.

12. NyQuil

NyQuil Neon NyQuil

What I don't understand is the perception that somehow if Canada had a ton of gifted offensive players, they wouldn't have sat back.

I've seen the most offensively potent teams in the NHL sit back on a lead all the time.

Why the hell is it automatic that the team would have responded differently?

Russia had the best team because they won the Gold. That's why they play the games.

13. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Registered User

Home Page:
    Canada was up 3-0 in the 3rd. What they needed to do was to continue to execute their game plan and play to their strengths.

Get the puck in deep, cycle it, be strong along the boards. They do that, they keep the Russians away from their net.

Canada had breakdowns in their own zone in the 3rd and paid for it.

Give credit to the Russians for never giving up.

14. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

I would have called a timeout after the second goal but thats me.

15. Timeouts don't really work all that often. That's a bit of a myth imo. I've rarely seen a timeout change a game. What is it a 30-40 second break? Something like that. Look at after the timeout. Team Canada went back into a panic and continued to make mistakes. You can't blame it on a poorly used timeout.

16. Nakawick

Nakawick Minty Fresh

IMO the only thing that Cameron could have done better was call the TO after the 2nd Russian goal while we still had the lead. After it was tied all chances to regain the momentum and sticking to the game plan was lost. I know hind sight is 20/20 and all, but I mentioned that in the GDT as well. Just felt like that was the time to regroup.

17. magic school bus

Russia still scores twice after the timeout.

Canada now loses 4-3, instead of 5-3.

Maybe if the players hadn't put so much mental/physical effort into beating USA, then they have enough left to finish off Russia.

18. Uncle Rotter

Uncle Rotter Registered User

The Canadian Olympic team had a ton of gifted offensive players

19. magic school bus

See: Game 7 Flyers/Bruins, Peter Laviolette calls timeout down 3-0... ;)

20. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

One of the most clueless posts ever on these boards.
    Grab a club and maybe rejoin us...or hopefully not.

21. NyQuil

NyQuil Neon NyQuil

You mean the one in 2006? Or in 1998? They did too.

Most Olympic teams do.

People second-guess the selections when Canada loses. They don't when Canada wins.

Were the 2002 and 2010 the best possible lineups we could have fielded? Few people spend a great deal of energy second-guessing those rosters.

22. All that often. 10 times more often I've seen a team continue to dominate after the opposing team calls a timeout. Laviolette is a great coach though. You don't coach a team back from down 3-0 by not being a great motivator and a great hockey mind.

23. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Do you care to explain how Cameron IS a good coach? His selections were poor, his goaltending was handled poorly. He called a timeout way too late when you knew deep down in your gut that the Russians had the momentum. And he will now be shown for the next 50 years in coaching schools of how not to coach with a 3 goal lead. Where is the evidence he is a good coach?

24. Drij

Drij Registered User

kids that are now losers for life.

25. Uncle Rotter

Uncle Rotter Registered User

I mean the one in 2010 that blew a 2-0 lead in the Final & came incredibly close to blowing a 3-0 lead in the Semi-Final