Speculation: Dater: Avs and Panarin have mutual interest

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Might as well go for it while we have MacKinnon on the contract and worry about it later.
Hughes/Kakko-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Hayes-Panarin

I don't personally agree with that. The Avs are in such a great spot atm their goal should be to make a roster that can compete for 7+ years and not just 3. There is a lot of luck that comes with trying to win the cup that you want as many shots as you can.

With the NHL having garunteed contracts, "worrying about it later" isn't an option. You need the ability to plan ahead an manage risk appropriately.

The best teams are built through the draft and not UFA. So while I'd be fine with getting a big name player, getting 2 would likely be a risk the Avs don't really need to take. (All of this depending on term and AAV of course, they could sign 5 people as long as the term was less than 3 years.)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
The Avs badly need a 2c, if LA is nice enough to let Ott win the draft lotto I'm sure they'd happily let you have KK and take Hughes.

KK is my favorite player in the draft and you'd be stoked to have him, but not filling their 2c hole with that pick would be unfortunate.
Kakko is a center.

Reactions: MacBradley

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's Dater... I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Sometimes he's right, usually he's just stirring the pot.
I don't think Dater is wrong here, but how he worded those tweets was awfully confusing. He probably means that Avs (like 25 or so other teams) probably have significant interest in Panarin, probably to the point of over payment. However, just because they have interest in him doesn't mean he has interest with the Avs.

Reactions: Meeqs

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
The Avs badly need a 2c, if LA is nice enough to let Ott win the draft lotto I'm sure they'd happily let you have KK and take Hughes.

KK is my favorite player in the draft and you'd be stoked to have him, but not filling their 2c hole with that pick would be unfortunate.

i have a feeling Blake has a hard on for Hughes
whereas Kakko sounds more of an Avs type of player - Also, many scouts are stating that Kakko would most likely excel as a C as well!

anyway, because of my distrust of Blake, i'm hoping COL wins the 1st and lands Hughes leaving Blake with no choice other than to draft KAKKO!!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
While he may have the skillset to eventually play that position as of now his natural position is RW and I have reservations about drafting guys with intent to move them.
This year, he’s a center. He’s played it the entire year. I think he has a better chance as a center than Hughes.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
i have a feeling Blake has a hard on for Hughes
whereas Kakko sounds more of an Avs type of player - Also, many scouts are stating that Kakko would most likely excel as a C as well!

anyway, because of my distrust of Blake, i'm hoping COL wins the 1st and lands Hughes leaving Blake with no choice other than to draft KAKKO!!

I think if you have a top 2 pick you're stoked either way haha.

The Avs are a team all about skill and speed but both guys are so good I think they'd fit on any team.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
isnt mutual interest referred to as tampering?

Not really, since it's in the context of 'hack reporter tweets, hopes something sticks'

If it were in the context of:

'Joe Sakic vacations with Artemi Panarin, comps stay, glows about mutual interests'

Then, yes, of course.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He played 6 or 7 games there and then was moved back to wing. He is a RW.
He’s a versatile forward that can play both positions. Ideally his talents are most useful at Center which is where an NHL franchise will use him.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I've no doubt the Avs would love to add a star talent. Just like they wanted Tavares last year, of course. Every team does, it's not exactly breaking news. But I really, really doubt Panarin wants to come to Colorado.

This. I don't see how he would end up in Colorado.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He’s a versatile forward that can play both positions. Ideally his talents are most useful at Center which is where an NHL franchise will use him.
Mikko Rantanen was a natural center, has all the tools to play center when you look at him but he is better at RW so he is played there. Same will happen with Kakko. And I love how quickly you moved the goalposts.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Mikko Rantanen was a natural center, has all the tools to play center when you look at him but he is better at RW so he is played there. Same will happen with Kakko. And I love how quickly you moved the goalposts.
Yeah I’m not sure why I said the entire year, it’s been more than 6 or 7 though. Not sure how this has anything to do with a hypothetical lineup I threw together. I’ll come back to this when he plays as a center though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah I’m not sure why I said the entire year, it’s been more than 6 or 7 though. Not sure how this has anything to do with a hypothetical lineup I threw together. I’ll come back to this when he plays as a center though.
It hasn’t been more than 6 or 7 games in Liiga. TPS wants one monster line and that is why he is playing RW.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

One of the Finns on the prospects board was quite insistent it was more like 4 or 5.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
One of the Finns on the main board was quite insistent it was more like 4 or 5.
There's certainly games where I've seen him play both right wing and take draws and play down the middle. I've seen at least five or six of those, so it's fair to see he's played only 4 or 5 games where his only position was center. He took just over 100 faceoffs this year, that's not possible in four or five games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad