Speculation: Dater: Avs and Panarin have mutual interest

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Panarin / MacKinnon / Rantanen
Landeskog / Brassard / Kakko
Kerfoot / Soderberg / Kaut

Nasty. Throw Makar into the D core and add a few more upcoming 1sts and you got a dynasty there.
Brassard should not be signed again and I doubt Kaut makes the team out of training camp. But if we get hughes or kakko for the second line and comp her on the third boo yab

Reactions: MacBradley

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Don't want Bobrovsky, I'd rather roll the dice on Grubauer rather than risk $7M+ or whatever Bobrovsky is gonna cost at like a 5 year+ contract.

Panarin though, badly need that. We're never a premier UFA spot anymore though so I doubt it.

I do not understand this. I have lived all around the country and I love living in Denver.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I do not understand this. I have lived all around the country and I love living in Denver.
Pretty sure Avs have among the most demanding travel schedules of all the teams in the league. Plus, they haven't been particularly competitive in recent years.

I'm sure all NHL teams have people who love living in their respective cities. It just doesn't have the universal appeal among players. I mean, outside of the Rangers, what team continually gets UFA's interested?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Shhh. We want people to believe that it's a horrible place to live so they'll stop moving here. :help:

you have one of those dumb stickers on your car, huh? literally the only city I’ve been to that pretends to be pissed off that their economy is doing well and that people want to move there.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Colorado has been a pretty bad team for a pretty long time. Couple that with some contract issues with their star players which, more than likely, gives them a reputation for being difficult to deal with among players and you have a team that struggles to sign UFAs.

A couple of consistent seasons and some time passing between the contract disputes (please god don't let Barrie be another one) and they should be able to attract some players without overpaying them or giving them too much term (basically every UFA contract they've signed the last few years has been).

Fingers crossed, anyways.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
you have one of those dumb stickers on your car, huh? literally the only city I’ve been to that pretends to be pissed off that their economy is doing well and that people want to move there.

People are pissed off that the economy doing well and people moving here has caused rents to become unaffordable in most of the city, the infrastructure to need even more upgrades after years of seemingly never ending construction and our idiotic state tax policies make it nearly impossible to increase tax revenue to properly fund our schools as it is. We already have some of the worst student-teacher ratios in the country and lowest per student spending rates in the country, and public schools are losing funding because enrollments drop after rents double and push all the young families out of the area. Sure, we sell pot to try to fund the capital expense of building new schools, but the law doesn't allow any of that money to go to fund the classrooms. Adding more people only pushes rents up further, exacerbating the problems. But, sorry for "pretending" to be pissed off.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018

Nasty. Throw Makar into the D core and add a few more upcoming 1sts and you got a dynasty there.
That top line would be nasty!!! Doubt Brassard will be resigned and you also forgot about Jost. After a horrible start and being sent down, I think it got his brain to start thinking about hockey. He had been playing way better since.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
That top line would be nasty!!! Doubt Brassard will be resigned and you also forgot about Jost. After a horrible start and being sent down, I think it got his brain to start thinking about hockey. He had been playing way better since.
Is there cap space to get Panarin AND Haynes?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think Colorado is better served with some mid-range UFA signings for depth rather than going after a big fish. They have some elite skill players, but their quality of depth in the forward core and on defense has been lacking IMO.

Reactions: CB Joe

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I don't want to spoil the fun but Brassard is a 4th liner now and a 3rd at best with injuries. Wouldn't be shocked for him to be getting close to a PTO guy this offseason. If he is your 2c you got PROBLEMS.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think Colorado is better served with some mid-range UFA signings for depth rather than going after a big fish. They have some elite skill players, but their quality of depth in the forward core and on defense has been lacking IMO.

Depends, they don't have a need for many depth players, they need top 6 guys. At the same time UFA is really about contract efficiency. It'd be better to over pay a guy like Skinner than to overpay a depth guy with limited upside.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Is there cap space to get Panarin AND Haynes?

The Avs have the cap space to really do whatever they want the next 3 years because they will have so much of their roster on ELCs and no really bad deals currently. However after that they get into Tor territory with having to seriously manage the cap.

So the answer is both yes and no depending on the term Hayes gets.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The Avs have the cap space to really do whatever they want the next 3 years because they will have so much of their roster on ELCs and no really bad deals currently. However after that they get into Tor territory with having to seriously manage the cap.

So the answer is both yes and no depending on the term Hayes gets.
Might as well go for it while we have MacKinnon on the contract and worry about it later.
Hughes/Kakko-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Hayes-Panarin

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
hands off KAKKO!!! he's ours

The Avs badly need a 2c, if LA is nice enough to let Ott win the draft lotto I'm sure they'd happily let you have KK and take Hughes.

KK is my favorite player in the draft and you'd be stoked to have him, but not filling their 2c hole with that pick would be unfortunate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad